Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Back Pain

Hello everyone,
    I just started a new job as a jail officer. The past year or so I've been having some trouble every now and then with lower back pain. After I got off my 12 hour shift I noticed that my lower back was bothering me again. Anyone have any advice on any stretches or exercises I could do to help this. I've been to a doctor and they couldn't find anything physicaly wrong with my back, I think it is just from being on my feet all day and wearing the duty belt. Anything anyone has to add would be appreciated.

Thanks

Duty Belt ? In the jail ?
    Well that could do it.
    Being on concrete all day will cause it too.

Remove excess weight and do sit ups

Comment

Try the opposite of a situp to strengthen lower back muscles. I lay face down off the side of my bed so only waist down is on the bed. I have my wife hold my feet while i lift my upper body up. It seems to counteract the pulling of a duty belt.

Comment

You might want to look into the type of mattress you're sleeping on. I would have occasional lower back pain, and once I switched to a nicer mattress it all went away... Just another angle to look at it from.

Comment

All the advice given is great. Shoes can alter your posture, after 12 hours anyone's feet and back would hurt. Go out and buy some good boots plus when your at home go in your back yard and walk barefooted. Let your feet get use to the natural ground. Our feet have curves in them, flat surfaces are not good for our feet.
          MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

I agree 100% with JKool. I was having problems with lower back and neck. I purchased a Tempur Pedic mattress along with a Tempur Pedic pillow and it alleviated all of my problems that I was having.

Comment

Weak core muscles are a major contributor to low back pain. Work on strengthening your abs and lower back in conjuntion with each other. A good pair of boots with maybe some sort of cushioning insert might be a good idea as well. I would recommend the high quality inserts you find at running stores. Not the $5 pair of odor eaters.
              Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

back pain

Thanks for the advice guys. will definatly look into all your advice

smwva

Comment

I've been to the chiropractor and was told keeping a wallet in yoyr back pocket can throw your allignment off too. I thought it sounded stupid too, but when I stopped keeping a wallet in my back pocket it made a difference.

Comment

About a year and a half ago, I was having some MAJOR low back pain. After ignoring it for what seemed like forever, my left heel began killing me. I finally went to a podiatrist and was told that I had plantar fasciitis. I was fitted for orthotics and wear them religiously. Guess what.....no more low back pain. I was told that the way I was riding my foot over was putting a strain on my back and all that j***. Just a thought!
                    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                      Weak core muscles are a major contributor to low back pain. Work on strengthening your abs and lower back in conjuntion with each other. A good pair of boots with maybe some sort of cushioning insert might be a good idea as well. I would recommend the high quality inserts you find at running stores. Not the $5 pair of odor eaters.
                      I second this post. You need to strengthen your abs in order to strengthen the back. Hanging knee raises, crunches on a decline bench and crunches while holding a medicine ball are great exercises as well as low back extensions. Another good thing to try would be Yoga or Pilates to develop some flexibility and core strength. (plus you can stare at good looking women all class)

Also, like other people have posted, some orthodic inserts would be a good thing to check into from a podiatrist. They can be quite costly, but are worth every cent. You'll wonder what you ever did without them!

Good luck.

Comment

In addition to what everyone else has said, consider visiting a chiropractor every now and then to get an adjustment. It sets you back 20 bucks, but what they do is amazing. I have been playing drums since 5th grade and I have to carry 25-35 pound drums everyday for 3 hrs a day, so I go once every six months at least.
                        It feels so amazing after they do it because they crack every bone in your body and you get this huge rush. And they realign your spine. It is amazing.
                        And my chiropractor is hot, so that is a plus, too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4358 users online. 255 members and 4103 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X