300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts any good?

Hi there, I'm an LEO in England and was thinking of taking up a martial art but was wondering if they are any good and can they help you restrain violent suspects as some people you talk to claim they work in competitions but not on the street. If they do work can anyone recommend which one works best? I was looking at taking up Aikido but I've heard Ju Jitsu may be better. Any advice would be great thanks

Look in to Krav Maga also. www.krav-maga.com
    MrAiric7

"Keep Your Priorities in Order"

"Know When to Act Without Hesitation"

Comment

I go with Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Study up on it and you will see that it is primarily based on locks and chokes; both of which come in handy dealing with LE.

Comment

Thanks for that. I've looked at the krav maga site and the only classes are in the south east and london which is the other end of the country. I studied karate for 2 years 4 years back but became frustrated by the competion work your had to do as well as kata's. It seemed you would do kata work for 2 weeks then 2 weeks of competion learning how to get points in fights and maybe a half hour of street skills as they were called or self defence moves. I just want art that teaches you moves strickes locks and holds that you can use.

Comment

I've been searching for a martial arts too, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for an art that is focused mainly on grappling/submission holds and strikes (mostly punching; not alot of kicks). I'd prefer that it would be offensive based, keeping the enemy off balance and not ready for a continous attack. And if they get the edge offensively, then it turns to locks, submission holds, etc.

I guess I should just create my own style Any websites explaining each style would be greatly appreciated. I've tried googling, but haven't really found what I want yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HartleyVU
            I've been searching for a martial arts too, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for an art that is focused mainly on grappling/submission holds and strikes (mostly punching; not alot of kicks). I'd prefer that it would be offensive based, keeping the enemy off balance and not ready for a continous attack. And if they get the edge offensively, then it turns to locks, submission holds, etc.

I guess I should just create my own style Any websites explaining each style would be greatly appreciated. I've tried googling, but haven't really found what I want yet.
            Seems to me that what you're describing isn't a style, so much as it is a fight strategy. The style gives you technique, the strategy tells you the manner in which to use them.

Here's a website with a pretty accurate description of various arts:
            http://www.martial-way.com/

Look for a good mixed-martial arts school in your area.
            *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy999
              Hi there, I'm an LEO in England and was thinking of taking up a martial art but was wondering if they are any good and can they help you restrain violent suspects as some people you talk to claim they work in competitions but not on the street. If they do work can anyone recommend which one works best? I was looking at taking up Aikido but I've heard Ju Jitsu may be better. Any advice would be great thanks
              The people who say that jiu-jitsu or the other styles that dominate the UFC don't work on the streets are little kung-fu weenies who base their system on eye-pokes and testicle-bites instead of preparing themselves through blood, sweat and tears and testing themselves against live, resisting opponents.

The BEST aikido is only pretty good, while mediocre brazilian jiu-jitsu will own 95% of other styles. That being said, BJJ isn't the be-all, end-all. You need to become well rounded with striking arts, too.
              *Not a cop*

Comment

My suggestion is Judo/JiuJitsu for take downs and ground, while on a stand-up is Muay Thai. These are what I'm trained for and it works well for me. Also, Aikido and Krav Maga works on the street, too. Aikido is good with wrist lock and control, while Krag Maga is a system that is proved to be useful in street combat, and seen it first hand training with the Israelis while I was in the Marines.
                "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                  Seems to me that what you're describing isn't a style, so much as it is a fight strategy. The style gives you technique, the strategy tells you the manner in which to use them.

Here's a website with a pretty accurate description of various arts:
                  http://www.martial-way.com/

Look for a good mixed-martial arts school in your area.
                  Hmm... that makes sense. Thanks for the website.

Ismalibu,

So BJJ is the best for take downs / ground? And in your opinion, what are some of the better striking arts?

Comment

Originally posted by HartleyVU
                    Hmm... that makes sense. Thanks for the website.

Ismalibu,

So BJJ is the best for take downs / ground? And in your opinion, what are some of the better striking arts?
                    Let me first start off with the caveat that there is no perfect, or complete art. If you want to be a well-rounded fighter, you're going to want to dabble in more than one art.

IMHO, BJJ is the best once you're already on the ground, whether on bottom or top. BJJ is pretty good for takedowns, certainly better than a striking art, but BJJ concentrates mostly on what to do once on the ground. If you take a BJJ class, you'll notice that most training starts with you or your partner already on their back, or both people on their knees. But yeah, BJJers learn how to take people down.

For takedowns, I'd say judo is best, since that's almost soley what they do. A very close second would be freestyle/collegiate wrestling. There's also sambo (a russian offshoot of judo) These arts will teach you how to AVOID a takedown, which is very important, too. There's also aikido, hapkido, japanese jujitsu, shootfighting, etc.

Boxing is extremely underrated as a striking art. There are of course no kicks, but noone can punch, avoid, or absorb a punch like a boxer. Muay Thai is a great striking art with punches, kicks, knees and elbows, and san shou is very similar and includes some takedowns. MT and San Shou also teach an underappreciated fighting range called the "clinch" where you and/or your opponent have your hands around each other's necks. For a "non-sport" art, kyokushin karate is very, very good for hard strikes. Then there's kenpo, shotokan, taekwondo, etc.

Krav Maga can be good, as the good stuff takes techniques from the above arts and consolidates them. There are law enforcement-only classes that I've heard are very good. But I've taken a few classes and thought my particular instructor and his techniques were a little fishy.

If it's in your area check out a Filipino martial arts school that teaches escrima/kali/arnis. Very cool arts.

For example, you can learn take downs in aikido, and how to punch in taekwondo, it's just harder. The important thing to do is find a place where the students train HARD and train against live, resisting opponents. Take a free class and watch how hard the students spar, they should be going well above 50%. A lot of these "McDojo" blackbelts haven't taken a punch in their lives and wouldn't know what to do without their little chest pads and helmets. The place you choose should be clean, but should remind you of maybe a high school wrestling practice or an old school boxing gym. It should smell like sweat during class. No american flag uniforms or black belt clubs. If it reminds you of Gold's Gym or a car dealership, or they won't let you take a free class, it may be a McDojo.

Check out a yellow pages and see what's listed. The best places are often one line with a phone number.
                    Last edited by lsmalibu; 07-29-2005, 04:48 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff
                    *Not a cop*

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

Let me first start off with the caveat that there is no perfect, or complete art. If you want to be a well-rounded fighter, you're going to want to dabble in more than one art.

Boxing is extremely underrated as a striking art. There are of course no kicks, but noone can punch, avoid, or absorb a punch like a boxer. Muay Thai is a great striking art with punches, kicks, knees and elbows,

If it's in your area check out a Filipino martial arts school that teaches escrima/kali/arnis. Very cool arts.

The important thing to do is find a place where the students train HARD and train against live, resisting opponents. Take a free class and watch how hard the students spar, they should be going well above 50%. A lot of these "McDojo" blackbelts haven't taken a punch in their lives and wouldn't know what to do without their little chest pads and helmets.

My suggestion is Judo/JiuJitsu for take downs and ground, while on a stand-up is Muay Thai. These are what I'm trained for and it works well for me. Also, Aikido and Krav Maga works on the street, too. Aikido is good with wrist lock and control, while Krag Maga is a system that is proved to be useful in street combat,
                        That being said, BJJ isn't the be-all, end-all. You need to become well rounded with striking arts, too.

These are all excellent points in my oppinion. BJJ is all the craze right now and many think it is all they need to know. Also many people in LE will dismiss any striking art as useless for LEOs since we can't walk in swinging right away when arresting someone.
                        My opinion on that is you cannot predict when you may get into an all out fight for your life. If you think that I am not going to be throwing strikes when a dirtbag is trying to get my weapon, your crazy. Also, training in striking arts, especially something like boxing and muay thai,will help you get used to being hit. That is almost as important as being able to hit. One good shot to the face of a person not used to being hit could rattle them enough to take them out of the fight or at least give the advantage to the bad guy. If you train by getting hit in the gym, then you are prepared for it on the street.
                        Also, as was already pointed out, BJJ will often teach you to go to the ground in a fight. Not where I want to be! Too many things around my belt for the bady guy to get a hold of as we fight on the ground. Also puts me at a disadvantage if other bad guys come to help him. That being said, I better damn well know how to fight on the ground if I end up there. So BJJ is a wonderful style I would recommend, but just make sure it is not your only style.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158596 users online. 144 members and 158452 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X