300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Fitness Test Today

Did our fitness assessment testing today at the academy. Ran 1.5 miles in 12:40, and did 28 pushups and 46 situps in a minute. Wasnt too bad at all, especially for a 28 year old who hasnt been really involved in athletics since college baseball 6 years ago. We run again Wednesday, then take a few weeks off to do firearms before we get back at it physically for DT. Things are going well so far; more updates later....JC
    "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

Originally posted by WCJC 30339
    Did our fitness assessment testing today at the academy. Ran 1.5 miles in 12:40, and did 28 pushups and 46 situps in a minute. Wasnt too bad at all, especially for a 28 year old who hasnt been really involved in athletics since college baseball 6 years ago. We run again Wednesday, then take a few weeks off to do firearms before we get back at it physically for DT. Things are going well so far; more updates later....JC
    Congratulations on your test results. If you have the time (big "if"), try to stay physically active on your own during firearms training. It'll be a lot easier on you, than if you take a few weeks off. Good luck during the rest of your academy training.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
      I know quite a few 40+ year olds and a couple of females who would put those numbers TO SHAME.
      As someone who's "40+ years old" I can agree with that for sure.

That's what I get for trying to be.........nice

Seriously though, Samuel's right - always keep working and striving. All that effort just may keep you safe on the streets one day.

Comment

WCJC, not to rain on your parade but according to the standards set by the Cooper Institute (common standards for law enforcement fitness testing) your run time puts you between the 35th and 40 percentile for your age. Your sit ups put you in the 75th percentile and pushups once again between the 35th and 40th percentile. Coming from a PT Instructor I would say overall you have a lot of work to do. I would heed the advice of krj and keep working on your own in between your down times.
        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

I wish those were the standards in Illinois... Oh well, gonna go hit the bench!

Comment

A good way to improve (and maintain for that matter) your push-up and sit-ups is to get in the habit of doing them every night before you go to bed, do as many as you can in one set, focusing on form as well as number. After a while if you keep up with it you will see a marked improvement and it very well might become a habit. I started doing this about 11 years ago when I joined the Army, and still find myself doing them after a year of being out.

Comment

I'm sure their are a few guys who run and push up at your pace. You might start getting with them and do some PT on your own time to get yourself up to spec.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

For someone just about to go into the academy what kind of work out do you suggest to get ready for all the PT. When I turned my application in I was told some people drop out of the academy because the PT is to tough. I'm in good shape but god knows if I can do any pull ups.
                MrAiric7

"Keep Your Priorities in Order"

"Know When to Act Without Hesitation"

Comment

My recommendation, like always, is the Navy SEAL prep workout. You can go on my website and download it. It is in the medical files. Here is the link to my site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by MrAiric7
                    For someone just about to go into the academy what kind of work out do you suggest to get ready for all the PT. When I turned my application in I was told some people drop out of the academy because the PT is to tough. I'm in good shape but god knows if I can do any pull ups.
                    A lot will depend on what your academy will require. I would suggest a running program and then a well rounded strength training program paying particular attention to upper body and core exercises.

Comment

PTI, as always, is right on. That is why the SEAL workout is so good. It is graduated so you will build up to a proper fitness level at an achievable pace and incoporates running, push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Their is a swimming portion also but that I wouldn't worry about that for most academies. Once you make it to the top step of the SEAL workout their won't be many people ahead of you on your PT tests, guaranteed. You can underprepare for the academy but you can't overprepare.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                        PTI, as always, is right on. That is why the SEAL workout is so good. It is graduated so you will build up to a proper fitness level at an achievable pace and incoporates running, push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Their is a swimming portion also but that I wouldn't worry about that for most academies. Once you make it to the top step of the SEAL workout their won't be many people ahead of you on your PT tests, guaranteed. You can underprepare for the academy but you can't overprepare.
                        I couldn't agree more.

Comment

SEAL Workout. My dad worked with them in Vietnam. He said that those guy stayed in shape .Thanks I'll look in to it and start on it right away.
                          MrAiric7

Comment

Stayed in shape is an understatement. In the Navy I wroked out with quite a few SEALs and to look at them in uniform you'd never know it but when it goes sideways their is nobody you'd rather have on your side. Best darn group of guys in the service IMHO.

Originally posted by MrAiric7
                            SEAL Workout. My dad worked with them in Vietnam. He said that those guy stayed in shape .Thanks I'll look in to it and start on it right away.

Comment

MY dad was a Door Gunner for U.S. Navy Seawolfs. They were an Elite HAL-3 Helicopter Squadron in Vietnam. They worked real close with the SEAL teams. He said they partied as hard as they worked. Great group of guys.
                              MrAiric7

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5468 users online. 300 members and 5168 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X