300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelor cooking

Does anyone know of a good cook book or website or pretty much anywhere I can get ideas of what to eat? What I mean is I am now single (just divorced). I live alone and am getting sick of frozen dinners. Those of you who have lived alone know how hard it is to cook something that is healthy, made for one (sometimes two), and above all, EASY. I'm talking like just a few ingredients. I'm a single guy, I'm not going to go out and buy 15 different spices and oils and crap like that.

I'm looking for simple dishes like chicken, pork chops and things like that, but I would like a little variety from my grilled chicken mashed potatoes and frozen vegetables that I eat 3 nights a week. (The nights I don't eat frozen dinners)
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Heres a link to a page on Amazon.com...if you cant link to it let me know, and i'll post a link to the books. I cant vouch for any of them, but its a start.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I also live alone, but i'm a very bad example. I dont cook nearly enough. I do love my Forman Grill (the small size for single people), and i always cook (nuke) the frozen vegs in boxes...one box makes enough for a serving the next nite, too. Also, eggs are good, ie. omelets, and you can put what you like in them.

I have alot of salad and chicken also, but it gets boring. I just cant find the oooomph to cook for myself

Comment

www.allrecipes.com

Don't waste your money on a cookbook when you get them for free at this site. There are thousands of choices, try any "Top Ten" rated recipe and you cannot go wrong.

I've made "top ten" chicken and beef dishes...they were awesome.
      Last edited by BrickCop; 07-21-2005, 08:21 PM.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I'm big on grilling, roasting, and BBQing......I use one of these, and I use alot of Steven Raichlen's recipes ( http://www.barbecuebible.com/ ). On my off-days, I'll cook up several things and refrigerate or freeze for later.

Comment

Brick is right, www.allrecipes.com is a great resource. Also check www.recipesource.com, and for healthy meals go to www.cookinglight.com (do a search from their website for "one is the yummiest number" for recipes for one).

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.

Comment

101 ways to cook Ramen Noodles.

grill- chicken and steaks

Corn is awsome on the grill-leave the husk on and slow cook them for about 4 hours

Bake everything

cook fresh veges
            MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by AMG
              101 ways to cook Ramen Noodles.

grill- chicken and steaks

Corn is awsome on the grill-leave the husk on and slow cook them for about 4 hours

Bake everything

cook fresh veges
              About the corn...just put it on the grill and let it cook? Do you wet it first? It sounds delicious.

I have to find recipes without alot of ingredients because i dont shop that much, and i dont like to have to.

Comment

Good thread, haus. I am going through the same cooking ordeal (sorry to hear about the divorce). I don't like cooking much as it is, and I find cooking for one to be kind of trying actually.

I second JellyBean's suggestion for frozen veggies. I live off of them plus they are still healthy.

I have a few basic seasonings that I use. Mrs. Dash is a big one as I throw it on veggies and on chicken. I also have a nice creole seasoning that I use on chicken, fish and ground beef. I will also cook chicken in some olive oil.
                Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Here is what my wife and I do... easy.

Buy a bag of frozen (boneless) chicken breasts.
                  Buy some steaks...
                  Buy some frozen vegtables
                  Buy some quick mash potatos..
                  Buy some marrinade sauce..

This is an easy way to make the dish..

Take the frozen chicken and put it in a frying pan.. put half the bottle of marinade in the same frying pan. Cook it..

Put some of the frozen vegtables in a sauce pan.. boil them.

If you want mash potatos then follow the directions on the box.

Do the same thing with the steak on another night.

This makes a quick easy dinner for two but you can always save the other breast or steak for later and put it in the fridge.

Comment

Mens Health runs a series each month, and I think they have a book, titled "A Man, A Can, and A Meal." They are actually healthy and taste good, let alone being very easy to fix.
                    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400
                      About the corn...just put it on the grill and let it cook? Do you wet it first? It sounds delicious.

I have to find recipes without alot of ingredients because i dont shop that much, and i dont like to have to.

There is a cookbook, "4 Ingredient Cooking," that you and others might enjoy. Check www.amazon.com, or www.alibris.com.

Also, a good cooking forum is www.discusscooking.com

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.

Comment

the corn reply:

Just buy them in the store witht he husk on them no need to take the husk off. get a good fire going and keep it at a constant temp. The corn will come out better than any corn you have ever tasted, add butter or some lowery's seasoning salt and go to work. I do alot of Charcoal grilling, I put the corn on the grill with the firebox on the side so i dont have direct heat under the corn.
                        MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Something I just discovered-my version of beef tips and noodles. I bought a small pack of sirlion that was cut into strips for stir frying-it was about 3 or 4 bucks-I don't remember the amount. (I had been using the beef cut for stew, but the stir fry meat is more tender). Anyway, I can get 2 meals out of 1 pack of beef-I saute the beef in a skillet, cook some egg noodles then combine the beef over the noodles and pour a can of Campbell's beef gravy over that. Add whatever sides you want and it's a decent meal, but it's quick and easy.

Best of luck with learning new recipes and cooking!!

Comment

lt93lover
                            Anyway, I can get 2 meals out of 1 pack of beef-I saute the beef in a skillet, cook some egg noodles then combine the beef over the noodles and pour a can of Campbell's beef gravy over that...
                            Speaking of gravy. Which should have a spot in every meal.
                            I found a recipe on "America's Test Kitchen " and it is the best.
                            All Purpose Gravy Recipe
                            It can't be too bad for you because its made with vegetables and not meat grease and fat. But you can't tell by the flavor. I keep a batch in the frig for easy access

For a quick hot entree idea.
                            Open face roast beef sandwich
                            1.Put some roast beef on a slice (or two) of bread
                            2.douse with gravy (recipe above works great)
                            3.Nuke it!

LEO's have enough to worry about with Heart Problems, Cancers and Bad Guys. We can help ourselves by taking care of our bodies. So we can DEAL with the Bad Guys. This is one step that should help to keep from clogging our arteries.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5037 users online. 331 members and 4706 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X