300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAT Fitness

I recently bought the book "SWAT Fitness" by Matt Brzycki and Stuart A. Meyers. I've read it from front to back and it seems like pretty valid stuff, but I'm not in LE, so I'm wondering if anyone on the job has read this book or implemented any principles from same. Thanks for your input.

I am currently in a law enforcement academy so I will offer my perspective from that reference point. I used the high intensity strength training principles and workouts from the "SWAT Fitness" book for over a year with great results. However, I feel this book is a little weak in the aerobic/anaerobic workout area. The theory is great, it simply does not provide any good aerobic/anaerobic workouts that develop "functional muscle." For that I turned to Stewart Smith's book "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness." His workouts are beyond the level necessary for law enforcement; however, they can be toned down with great effect. As an example, the "upper body pyramid" from that book is an incredible workout and develops functional muscular strength and endurance.

I think the two books compliment each other well and when combined can help you develop a high level of fitness.

Semper Fi,

Phoenix
    Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

SWAT Fitness and Maximum Fitness

Thanks for the reply. Before I bought this book, I did a little looking around. I liked Stew Smith's book Navy Seal Fitness, but I also found his book "Maximum Fitness". This book is a little more cross-training oriented; it has swim/run/weight workouts, for example. If you haven't checked it out, I'd recommend it. If you have, I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Oorah

Comment

No. I haven't seen "Maximum Fitness." I'll check it out if I see it at the bookstore.

Good Luck,

Phoenix
        Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

I am very eager to read this book. I found a web site talking about the chapters. I must say the authors present some good facts. The aerobic/anaerobic workouts seem pretty good to me.......... Now I am not a SWAT officer so I wouldnt know if it was weak or not. Will some SWAT officers post and tell us what you think about the book compared to your SWAT team workouts
          MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5259 users online. 303 members and 4956 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X