300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 rep max bench press

The standard in Illinois for ages 20-29 is 98% of your body weight for the 1 repetition bench press. I read that this is based on the 40th percentile, and even though I've been working hard this summer to increase my bench, I'm still not up to benching 98% of my weight yet. I've read all the topics and continue to do research, but I'm wondering if the 40th percentile statistic is wrong. Can 40% of the population actually bench their weight without spending weeks to months prepping for it?

Just out of curiousity I looked up some fitness standards for other organizations. Las Vegas Nevada PD's standards are almost laughable compared to what we have to do here in Illinois. The Illinois POWER test requires 37 situps in under a minute, Las Vegas only requires 15. We have to do a 1.5 mile run in under 12:46, and Nevada only requires 17:17... Maybe I need to move out there!

Edit -- the figures I found for Nevada were for corrections officers.
    Las Vegas Metro Police
    This link has the patrol officer test. They require 32 situps and a 1 mile run in under 10:49. These standards actually aren't that far off from Illinois'...
    Last edited by JKooL; 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM.

[QUOTE=JKooL] I'm wondering if the 40th percentile statistic is wrong. Can 40% of the population actually bench their weight without spending weeks to months prepping for it?

We have to do a 1.5 mile run in under 12:46 (QUOTE)

It seems about right for 20-29 y/o males - and consider that the reverse of that statistic is that 60% of the general population in that gender and age range statistically can bench MORE than their own body weight.

You're just going to have to train for the weeks (or months) necessary to be able to pass that portion of the test.

BTW - according to this link to the POWER test: http://www.keynet.net/~patrol/POWER.pdf you have 13:46 to do the 1.5.

Comment

What is your workout for bench currently?
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by krjBTW - according to this link to the POWER test: [url
        http://www.keynet.net/~patrol/POWER.pdf[/url] you have 13:46 to do the 1.5.
        That is correct, a typo on my part - sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
          What is your workout for bench currently?
          The thing is, I've asked around at my department for advice from several Deputies, and each time I get a different answer... I started about 4 weeks ago using a 1 day on, 1 day off routine. I start out doing 2 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 10 at a light weight around 50% of my body weight (85-90 pounds). Then I take a short break and do curls or situps. Then I do 3 sets of 8 repetitions at 115-125 (65-70% body weight). I take a short break doing curls or situps again, and finish doing 2 sets of 5 repetitions at 135-140 (75-80% body weight). 140 pounds is pushing it, and I usually struggle to put up the 4th and 5th repetitions, but generally I can finish 2 complete sets of 5. About 2 weeks ago I tried to lift 165 and injured a muscle in my leftside shoulder, so I just recently got back up to 140 and haven't gone above that yet. Everything feels better now so I may step it up to 145 for the next week or two and then see if I can hit 150.

I generally add 5 pounds every 2 weeks. I started using a 85/115/125 routine and am now up to 95/125/135-140 routine.

A few people have recommended creatine, but just as many people have recommended against it, so I have decided to stay away from any type of supplements at this time. I do, however, take a multi-vitamin everyday.

Comment

bench max

Everyone has a different theory on what works best..that's no doubt. Here's what works for me. I do chest/tri on one day and back/bi on other days. 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. In between those days I fit in lower body, cardio, shoulders. Your plan of adding weight every two weeks is a good one too. Every so often it helps to shake things up a bit by varying your work out. Sometimes on benchpress, I'll start with 185 and do 8 reps, add 10lbs and do 6 reps, add 10 and do 4 and then 2,,,and work my way back up to eight, removing weight as I go. With your shoulder issues, it sounds like you need to strengthen that area before you go really heavy. Stretch b4 AND after working out for best results. Protein shakes help rebuild muscle tissue, so I have one of those post work out. Creatine is good for lean muscle mass (or so they say) and depending on which brand, you get other nutrients as well. I notice a marked difference in intensity when I drink creatine b4 working out. It all depends on what you want.
            Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

I am going to try switching to 1 day on, 2 days off. I've read about overtraining, so hopefully that will be a good move to make as I continue to work on this.

Comment

I don't think a lot of the population can bench their weight. For one, they weigh too much, and they are weak.

Just for kicks, here are some local standards...

Phoenix PD - 12:29 1 1/2 miles, 35 pushups (no time limit), 39 situps in 2 min, 6 foot wall climb.

Maricopa was a little easier. Both were pretty easy if you are in any kind of shape.

Comment

Well, allrighty then. Here is my best advise. You are going for one rep and one rep only so why are you doing 10 and 20 reps. Drop it down to 6 sets of 6 reverse pyramid. Start at the max you can do 6 of and do it. If you can get them all then do it for the next set. If you can't take 10 or pounds off and do it. All your looking for is power, not power/endurance, so train like it.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Bench press includes your triceps, upper and lower pecs and front deltoid muscles. In order to increase your bench all of these muscles must get stronger. 80% of your bench will come from your triceps. If they are weak then your pecs or a rotator ligament will tear when trying to push the bar off your chest. Good technique is best; do not raise your butt up off the bench. I suggest raising your legs in the air with your knees bent so that your back can rest on the bench. By doing so you will isolate your benching muscles only. Remember to eat plenty of good protein and get plenty of rest. Monday, Wed, Fri- strength days. Off days mean exactly off days
                    MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by AMG
                      80% of your bench will come from your triceps.
                      Triceps are a synergist during the bench press ie. they assist the primary muscle group (in this case pectorals - primarily pectoralis major) to accomplish movement.

He will benefit (as you indicated) from training pecs, deltoids and triceps in both isolated and compound lifts - but it is misleading to say that 80% of a bench press comes from triceps.

Comment

krj

Try neglecting your triceps and see how much your bench improves. Furthermore, ask any one who has a degree of study in the field of Kinesiology and sports medicine and see what they tell you. Read any bodybuilding publication that has articles written by Sports doctors or performed a study on bench pressing and you will see they are giving out misleading information also. Try to put 400lbs on a chest fly machine and lift with your pecs only and see how much it moves, now try to put that 400lbs on a bench press and push it with your arms using your pecs and triceps. See the difference just as I stated 80%. That
                        Last edited by AMG; 07-14-2005, 11:43 AM.
                        MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will switch over to a more strength-based approach and drop the 10-20 reps down to 5-6 using more weight. I will stick with the 1 day on, 2 days off for a few weeks. When school starts I will probably reevaluate my routine again.

Comment

[QUOTE=AMG]krj

Try neglecting your triceps and see how much your bench improves. Furthermore, ask any one who has a degree of study in the field of Kinesiology and sports medicine and see what they tell you. Read any bodybuilding publication that has articles written by Sports doctors or performed a study on bench pressing and you will see they are giving out misleading information also. Try to put 400lbs on a chest fly machine and lift with your pecs only and see how much it moves, now try to put that 400lbs on a bench press and push it with your arms using your pecs and triceps. See the difference just as I stated 80%. That

Comment

Hey guys, just an update...

As of yesterday, I was able to do 2 reps at my weight (177). A little hard work and routine can pay off! Thanks again for all the information and input. I'm gonna keep doing what I've been doing, and maybe I'll be up to 200 in another month or two.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3922 users online. 252 members and 3670 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X