Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welpe, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They always seem to have healthy packaged foods which are easy to make and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, the only good whole wheat bread I've found is from a health food store.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Ah yes we do, I'll have to check that one out.
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The bad fats have been covered but I wanted to mention it again. A while back I tried the virtually no fat diet stuff. When I had my cholesterol checked my good Cholesterol (HDL?) was too low and I was asked by the doctor to eat more "good fats". I did more research and it actually helps you to loose weight to eat good fats such as olive oil, fish oil, peanut butter, etc. You still have to watch how much you consume because they are high calorie items.

I would also suggest shopping on the outside of the grocery store. Someone mentioned eating items that God made. This is kind of the same thing. What I mean by the outside of the grocery store is the outside perimeter. Most grocery stores are set-up the same way with the produce, meat, and dairy on the outside perimeter. Choose from those.

I would also suggest eating protein with every meal if you are goint to be exercising. I would also get a good powder to drink a protein drink a few times a day as kind of a snack. Good to drink when you wake up, before bed, and after exercise. If you mix it with water it is only about 100 cals per serving with a little less than 20 grams of protein. It is also good to throw in a scoop of peanut butter. Gives better flavor, few grams more of protein, plus your good fat.

When you are hungry some snacks I would suggest is PB with some whole wheat crackers, yogurt, and cheese sticks. They are all pretty small and I can just throw them in my cooler when at work.
        "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Good points! especialy this one by matt

I would also suggest shopping on the outside of the grocery store. Someone mentioned eating items that God made. This is kind of the same thing. What I mean by the outside of the grocery store is the outside perimeter. Most grocery stores are set-up the same way with the produce, meat, and dairy on the outside perimeter. Choose from those.
          Grocery stores are set up for one thing-to sell food. Look at how nice all the isles are compared to the outside isle. I will admit I have been to Farmers Market and they take pride in the outside isle but you pay for that.

What is junk food? can science say if this person eats the so-called bad foods they will become obese, or does science say regardless of the foods you eat your genes detrmine the outcome. Science really dont know, What science can say is that without excercise you will gain weight while over eating.

I suggest what others have stated, try to stay away from the saturated fats.
          MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Are you primarily concerned with your health or your physique and/or weight loss/maintenance? If it's your health, then minimize saturated fats and enjoy all your unsaturated Omega-3's, yada yada. To whatever extent you're concerned with your physique and/or weight loss/maintenance, there are no "good" or "bad" fats, just fats: minimize them all.

In science, people at the extreme ends of the genetic spectrum are considered exceptions to the general rule, not a "refutation" or disproof of the rule. Yes, extreme mesomorphs/ectomorphs can eat anything they want and never become obese. Likewise, extreme endomorphs can live on rice cakes and bird seed and still hover close to the line of clinical obesity. So what? There are also people who smoke two packs a day and live to 90, but that doesn't mean science can't define the health risks of smoking, either.

Foods that contribute very little nutritional value, (as that term is defined, scientifically), and whose calorie count, fat, sugar, and salt content is way out of proportion to their overall nutritional value would be considered "junk food," irrespective of the fact that some people have good enough genetics not to worry about it.
            Last edited by ProWriter; 07-20-2005, 08:36 PM.
            No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Thanks for the additional tips.

Weight loss and then maintenance is priority one for me. I really don't care how I look as long as I'm at a healthy weight.

I'm making progress in changing my eating habits, but I am finding that I really don't like to cook. I think that is a hinderance for me, and probably one of the reasons I do eat unhealthy foods, because they are "convenient".

I will keep working on the cooking issue. The results will be worth it.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Water, water, and more water. While diet soda may not have calories, it doesn't help the body like water does. I always feel my best on the days I drink the most water.

My other hint is yogurt. I had a really bad ice cream habit. I have found yogurt fills the need just as well.

Comment

I have a propane grill for quick grilling, maybe I need to fire that puppy up more and cook up a mess of skinless chicken or fish.

I've been drinking more water and less soda lately. I have one of those 32 oz Nalgene deals and I make a point to drink one of them before my lunch break, and another by the time I get home at a minimum.

Comment

Some good suggestions here. I'll add my 2 cents, and what I have done in the past couple of years to get in the best shape of my life:

1. Good quality lean proteins. Lean chicken, turkey, and fish. Low-fat cottage cheese. I also cut way down on red meat, although I still eat the occational burger and a lean peice of beef every know and then.

2. Switched to diet soda. Drink more water. Switched from 2% milk to low-fat soy milk.

3. Take a vitamin supplement.

4. To be sure I get my fruits and veggies every day, I make a fruit smoothie in the morning consisting of vanilla soy milk, blueberries, strawberries, and a bananna. I switched from using lettuce on my sandwitches (little nutritional value) to baby spinach.

5. Eat good quality carbs in moderation and/or when you need them. Whole wheat pastas, whole grain breads, etc.

Hope this helps someone.

PS - Eating healthy is NOT cheap

Comment

Hey! Anybody ever try the line of "Perfect Green Foods"? ..it's a powder supplement. It may also come in gelatin capsule form..not sure tho. It's packed with a ton of naturally occurring antioxidants, minerals and vitamins found in green foods. It tastes like dirt and rocks, but for two small tablespoons, it's the equivalent of 9 servings of veggies.

How about Bee products?? They're pretty awesome, and benefit the immune, cardiovascular, endocrine, integumentary, nervous, cellular, skeletal, hepatic, and respiratory systems. They're a great natural appetite suppressant, energy enhancer, natural antidepressant and control weight and cholesterol. Interested? Check it out at: The Natural Shopper

Comment

The best way I found to get healthy was simply to cut out sugars anywhere I could (and there are a bunch of ways to do so), sweat my balls off for 45 minutes a day and drink A LOT of water.
                        Another book I would add to the healthy eating library would be Diet For A New America by John Robbins...although it preaches a vegetarian lifestyle you can get a lot of really good insight into healthy eating as a lifestyle change. Eat several medium size portions several times a day rather than 3 squares. You actually lose weight that way.
                        AND NO FAST FOOD.

Comment

Ideally, if time allows for it, you want to eat more frequently and eat smaller meals. You want to avoid high glycemic carbohydrates as much as possible (except for post-workout, for recovery and gaining muscle), mainly things like white flour and sugar.

Here's a good article on why the way most of us eat is bad:
                          http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/050465.html

Here's more info on the GI (glycemic index) and the GI's of a lot of foods:
                          http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...emic_index.php

Some of you might remember learning the distinction between complex and simple carbohydrates in health class, which is disappointing as that distinction, as far as what's "healthy," has been debunked for almost 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                            Also, learn how to cook.

I just made a really awesome pot of Minnestrone soup with tons of veggies, lean sausage and wheat pasta. A perfect meal.
                            That does sound really good! Might have to try it!

Comment

Originally posted by 0351
                              Some of you might remember learning the distinction between complex and simple carbohydrates in health class, which is disappointing as that distinction, as far as what's "healthy," has been debunked for almost 25 years.
                              I'd like to know exactly what's ever been "debunked" about the distinction between complex and simple carbs, particularly, since the underlying mechanism is simply that many complex molecular bonds require more energy to break than fewer simpler molecular bonds.

If anything's been "debunked" that would be the relative importance and relevance of the Glycemic Index for anybody besides Diabetics. For anybody else, selecting carbs for their low position on the G.I. while ignoring whether they're complex or simple would be a LOT worse than ignoring the G.I. entirely, while making sure most of their carbs are complex and avoiding simpler carbs as much as possible. You think low calorie carrots (high G.I.) are less dietetically sound than all the simple, high calorie carbs that happen to be lower on the G.I., for example?
                              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4079 users online. 262 members and 3817 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X