300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Healthier

OK so the junkfood thread got me thinking about a few things. Other than tasty cheeseburgers, it made me sit down and think about what I've been eating lately and how I've been trying to switch to healthier foods.

I tend to eat a lot of bad food not only fast food but also sweets, ice cream, soda. You know, the bad stuff. WIthin the last 4 or 5 months I've been making some gradual changes such as eating more low fat subway sandwiches when I eat out and switching exclusively from drinking regular soda to diet beverages. I've noticed that I have lost a few pounds from just that and no change in physical activity (which is not very high due to any number excuses I can give you, none all that great).

What I would like to do is continue to drop or replace bad foods from my diet. I have been taking more turkey and chicken sandwiches to work from home, which has helped both the pocket book and waistline.

OK, down to the point of this thread. What I'm looking for are some ideas for healthy meals and snacks that don't take a long time to prepare. I have a few things in mind but they seem to get old quickly.

Here's what I have so far:

Lean Meats/Protein:
    *skinless chicken breast
    *turkey breast
    *pork chops
    *white fish
    *Tuna (which I really don't care for)
    *Tofu (again, really don't care for it)

Carbohydrates:
    *Rice
    *Whole wheat breads
    *Pasta
    *Beans (is this a protein or a carb?)

A variety of fresh and frozen vegetables. Salads with romaine lettuce or spinach leaves.

For sweets I'm thinking things like fresh fruit, unsweetened yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in, maybe some sorbet or soft serve once in a while.

Breakfasts I'm thinking whole grain cereals with skim milk, orange juice or fresh fruit and black coffee.

Lunches sandwiches on whole wheat or multi grain breads with mustard, a lean lunch meat, lettuce, tomatoes and maybe a slice of cheese.

The thing that really seems to be tripping me up is what to snack on between meals. Obviously vegetables and fruits are always a good choice, but what about something that I can "grab and go" that will help curb my appetite?

I want to keep making changes to my diet but I'm also afraid of making too many radical changes that I get bored with what I'm eating or dislike it too much. I realize that sacrifices must be made in order to not only lose weight but be a healthier person. It is no secret, I love to eat. As I said earlier, unfortunately it is the wrong kinds of foods. That is probably a psychological thing more than anything else, but it is still a bit frustrating that I almost have to have a junk food fix quite often.

Sorry this post is a bit jumbled, but it is late and I wanted to get my thoughts out on this topic. Once I started writing I just kept writing. I will probably try to clean this up tomorro when I'm not so tired. I appreciate all and any advice and suggestions you all can share.

Thanks,

Monty
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Originally posted by Welpe
    The thing that really seems to be tripping me up is what to snack on between meals. Obviously vegetables and fruits are always a good choice, but what about something that I can "grab and go" that will help curb my appetite? Monty
    Monty,

As lame as it sounds, I would suggest to you that you go on a "field trip" to a grocery store. Go down every aisle, read labels, check out options and see what's out there that appeals to you.

There is a huge amount of healthy snack options out there, and many of them are good tasting, nutritious and low-moderate in calories. Check out every section of the store - including the less obvious such as the child and infant, senior citizens (you'd be surprised how many adventure racers drink Ensure while in transition areas), the kids lunch section (fruit snacks etc.), the cookies and snacks section (there are now packages of individually wrapped cookies at about 100 calories each package).

Read labels, be open to options you may not have considered, and compare prices/nutritional ingredients/serving sizes etc.

Like I said - lame. But you would only have to do it once, and you will REALLY have a huge number of ideas after your trip.

BTW - Dried beans are classified as carbohydrates - and I don't blame you on the tofu thing.....

Comment

Originally posted by krj
      As lame as it sounds, I would suggest to you that you go on a "field trip" to a grocery store. Go down every aisle, read labels, check out options and see what's out there that appeals to you...Check out every section of the store - including the less obvious such as the child and infant, senior citizens...Read labels, be open to options you may not have considered, and compare prices/nutritional ingredients/serving sizes...Like I said - lame. But you would only have to do it once, and you will REALLY have a huge number of ideas after your trip...
      Lame, huh? You just described my first date with my wife, pal. Met her on aol, and offered to teach her all about food and diet by taking her foodshopping.
      No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
        Lame, huh? You just described my first date with my wife, pal. Met her on aol, and offered to teach her all about food and diet by taking her foodshopping.
        Oh CRAP - put my foot in my big mouth with THAT one, eh??

Uhhh - sorry 'bout that!

Comment

LOL, and she stayed Must be one heck of a tolerant lady!! What was your 2nd date?

Originally posted by ProWriter
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

That's actually a good idea, krj. I will figure on doing that, probably this weekend.

I think I'm finally serious about changing my long term eating habits, hopefully I can make them something that is not a diet per se but a lifestyle. I've also started to write down what I'm eating everyday, so hopefully I can notice some trends that aren't as healthy.

Thanks for the advice.

Monty
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I've lost 50lbs since December by dropping all fast food and drinking at least 60oz of water a day. I did the weight watchers plan, I know it's lame for a college kid to do but it worked for me. It simply takes the Dietary fiber grams, the calories, and the total fat grams of the foods and assigns them point values. In addition to cutting out fast food and most soda (Only drink Sprite Zero and the occasional Diet Coke), I pretty much cut out red meat like you mentioned earlier. I pretty much lived on salad with No or Low fat dressing and chicken. When you do change your diet just remember to take a GOOD multi-vitamen twice a day to make sure you're getting all of the vitamens for your body to be working at maximum potential.
              If you're looking for good meals on the go I suggest the frozen "Smart Ones" they are made by Weightwatchers I believe and have their pre-assigned point values and are a good price as compared to other frozen meals. In addition they are lower in sodium compared to others as well. Again I know it may seem lame, but I just thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion because it worked for me.
              Jason
              Also man, just hit the gym hard, and don't forget the cardio. I ride a bicycle at work for 8 hours a day or more so that has helped me too.
              Last edited by ASUMach1; 07-12-2005, 08:16 PM.
              Caught in the action of kill or be killed, greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his brother.

RIP brother and sister officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Comment

Monty -

I dunno what you're eating for fats, but if you're trying to eat low-fat or no-fat, you're not gonna lose that much weight. I'm not gonna go off here, but good fats are good for you, essential to heart health and help you feel full. Olive oil, natural peanut butter, almonds, fish and flax seed oil are good sources of healthy fats.

Good job on the dairy. Yogurt and such is a good snack, and dairy has been shown to help you burn fat. You want to aim for a general ratio of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

Cut out refined sugars and refined grains (white bread, regular pasta, white rice) and load up on nutrient rich veggies, whole grains and lean meats. Don't be afraid of trying other meats, like lean beef and pork. They get a bad rap, but if they're lean, they're good for you.

Drink a gallon of water a day. Cut out soda (diet is okay) fruit juice, whole milk. A cup of green tea in the morning is great.
                Last edited by lsmalibu; 07-12-2005, 08:37 PM.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                  LOL, and she stayed Must be one heck of a tolerant lady!! What was your 2nd date?
                  You guys really still have to ask? Strip club, obviously

Originally posted by ASUMach1
                  If you're looking for good meals on the go I suggest the frozen "Smart Ones" they are made by Weightwatchers I believe and have their pre-assigned point values and are a good price as compared to other frozen meals. In addition they are lower in sodium compared to others as well. Again I know it may seem lame, but I just thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion because it worked for me.
                  Yeah, except they're not enough for a meal at about 200 calories, 17 grams protein, etc. My wife eats them, though. They're perfect for her. Go over to the poultry section and find the Purdue "Short Cuts" display. About $5 per box/bag and each box is good for two meals of 40+ high quality protein and negligible fat content. They come in about four flavors. Microwave them with some carbs, or stick a fork in and eat them cold right outta the bag.
                  Last edited by ProWriter; 07-12-2005, 10:43 PM.
                  No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I love shopping.

Here is the trick. I am following this to lose about 12 to 15 lbs, which will get me totally cut, as I am not really fat. I have posted my pt scores, and they are better than 99% of people, I just get lazy with my diet sometimes when I am unmotivated.

This is shocking new scientific evidence.......

Eat lots and lots of veggies, drink water and green tea, avoid starch other than oatmeal and brown rice, eat lean meats, eat healthy fats.

Do cardio and lift weights.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, but there is nothing crazy or cutting edge. The biggest thing you have to worry about is commitment and common sense.

Eating tips -

If it is in a package, 90% of the time, you shouldn't eat it (think about it)

Eat foods that are closest in the way God made them. An orange is healther than orange juice, which is healther than orange soda. Try to eat like a caveman would.

Cut out ALL juice and soda. Do not drink your calories. Juice has no fiber, so it does't fill you up. It is not much better than soda for someone trying to lose weight.

Don't be afraid of the right fats - this has been covered.
                    You can use 1/2 fat dressing with your veggies (not that 0 fat crap, and not the full fat dressing, unless it is olive oil based Italian). Veggies have fat soluable vitamins, meaning you need to have fat when you eat them to get a benefit.

Get some splenda sweetner - use it in shakes and oatmeal.

Eat as much vegetables as you want. You can eat lots and lots (not potatoes or other starchy veggies though)

Avoid going low carb or whatever. You should cut your starches out to 3 or 4 servings a day. Most of us eat WAY too much starch. I would avoid bread as it doesn't really fill you up, oatmeal is a better option really. So are sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, brown rice, and beans (which are a protien and carb)

Eat a well balanced diet and you will be fine.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by JML65; 07-13-2005, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Also, learn how to cook.

I just made a really awesome pot of Minnestrone soup with tons of veggies, lean sausage and wheat pasta. A perfect meal.

Comment

The easiest way to permanently drop fast food and junk food from your diet is to do some research into how they are made. Read "Fast Food Nation" or "Don't Eat this Book" and you'll never want to set foot in a burger place or eat anything out of a vending machine again.

It's no coincidence that over the past thirty years, we have not only made junk food more available and more of a regular part of our diets, but also produced an entire generation of children who cannot function without Ritalin.
                        Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
                          The easiest way to permanently drop fast food and junk food from your diet is to do some research into how they are made. Read "Fast Food Nation" or "Don't Eat this Book" and you'll never want to set foot in a burger place or eat anything out of a vending machine again.

It's no coincidence that over the past thirty years, we have not only made junk food more available and more of a regular part of our diets, but also produced an entire generation of children who cannot function without Ritalin.
                          Supersize Me also works. Watch that and you won't eat that crap.

Comment

Just wanted to get back and say thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I will look at incorporating more and more of them into my eating routine (I hesitate to use the word "diet" because I don't want to think of any of this as a short term thing).

I plan on hitting the store this weekend for an hour or so to see what my various healthy options are. I'm actually somewhat excited about finally taking the necessary steps to not only lose the excess weight, but to live a healthier life. It will take some getting used to, I'm sure, but it will be very worth it.

Cheers!

Monty

Comment

OK hit the store today and found some good things for meals. I have a couple of questions as a result of this "field trip".

While looking at the whole wheat versus sour dough breads and English muffins I noticed something a little surprising. The whole wheat items seemed to have more calories, more saturated fat, more sugars and more calories from fat than the sourdough varieties. What's the deal with that?

Also, I couldn't find those chicken strips you were talking about PW, but I'll look around at some other stores for them.

I also noticed some things such as lean sasuasges, turkey burgers and sausages that I hadn't even thought of before. I even found a few prepackaged foods that aren't too bad health wise such as some healthy (and on sale!) granola bars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6008 users online. 364 members and 5644 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X