300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Preventive Maintenance"

What supplements are recommended for maintaining a healthy system?

A good multivitamin, making sure you get your folic acid, B6 and B12. The thing to remember about supplements is that since 1994 the supplement industry does not have to show their product does what they claim. I can market my own brand of snake oil and claim it will make you stronger and burn fat and make you live longer and don't have to prove the results. Some companies are reputable but they don't have to be. When it comes to supplements....it buyer beware.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by P/O CASS
      What supplements are recommended for maintaining a healthy system?

Unless you have a deficency in a certian vitamin or mineral, it isnt really necessary to take them. And if you do have a deficency it is better to take a multi-vitamin vs one that covers just one of the vitamins. Not-Very likley but you can OD on certian vitamins and die (A,D,E,K)
      Dont wait...Procrastinate now!

Comment

I have been taking Centrum multi vitamin for about a year. They are recomended to be taken once a day, but I take two. One in the Morning and one in the evening. Is this OK? I also take Osteo bi flex for Joint and cartilege. I have never had a health problem and just want to keep it that way for as long as I can. My brother is dieing from cancer with not much time left which has made an impact on my efforts to stay healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by P/O CASS
          I have been taking Centrum multi vitamin for about a year. They are recomended to be taken once a day, but I take two. One in the Morning and one in the evening. Is this OK? I also take Osteo bi flex for Joint and cartilege. I have never had a health problem and just want to keep it that way for as long as I can. My brother is dieing from cancer with not much time left which has made an impact on my efforts to stay healthy.
          There are two types of vitamins - water soluble and fat soluble.

If you ingest more than your body needs of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), the remainder is stored in body fat (principally in the liver), and toxic levels have been found in people who take megadoses. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what constitutes a "megadose" (hopefully someone else on here can expand on that) - the one definition I have is a vague, "extremely high doses compared to what the body needs".

The water soluble vitamins (B complex and C) are not stored in the body and whatever your body does not need will be excreted in the urine.

My suggestion would be to just take one multi-vitamin a day - the label on the bottle will clearly indicate that you are getting 100% of many of the vitamins you need daily in order to help maintain good health. For those vitamins that you are getting less than 100%, you can either supplement in pill form (or better yet, get through nutritional sources). This is one case where more (than the RDA - Recommended Daily Allowance) is definately not better.

P/O Cass, I am very sorry to hear about your brother.

Comment

The Journal for the American Medical Association finally admitted a couple years ago that everyone should be taking a multivitamin. This is pretty huge considering the medical communities view on supplements. There are several things you need to take into account when searching for supplements. Does the company have any proof that they get absorbed into the blood stream? There is only 1 company that I know of that does this and it's Shaklee Corporation. They have over 100 published research abstracts in referee or peer review journals. These types of journals are very difficult to get published in. Take at a minimum a multivitamin. Make sure you look at the calcium levels and biotin. This is just one way to find a cheap supplement with no integrity. Usually Calcium is around 10% and so is Biotin. Biotin is extremely expensive so most companies don't include it to keep costs down. Shaklee has numerous studies published on their multivitamin. Bone density increase is just one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
              There is only 1 company that I know of that does this and it's Shaklee Corporation. They have over 100 published research abstracts in referee or peer review journals.
              Alright Shaklee Corporation rep - I've read enough.

You're now Exhibit A on my point about "healthy skepticism"

Comment

The Journal for the American Medical Association finally admitted a couple years ago that everyone should be taking a multivitamin. This is pretty huge considering the medical communities view on supplements.
                Could you please post the text and citation (not links, please) of this recent AMA "admission" that multi-vitamins are beneficial, and (more importantly), any previous AMA statement against multi-vitamins that makes that position an "admission" rather than a mere "statement"?

There are several things you need to take into account when searching for supplements. Does the company have any proof that they get absorbed into the blood stream? There is only 1 company that I know of that does this and it's Shaklee Corporation. They have over 100 published research abstracts in referee or peer review journals. These types of journals are very difficult to get published in. Take at a minimum a multivitamin. Make sure you look at the calcium levels and biotin. This is just one way to find a cheap supplement with no integrity. Usually Calcium is around 10% and so is Biotin. Biotin is extremely expensive so most companies don't include it to keep costs down. Shaklee has numerous studies published on their multivitamin. Bone density increase is just one of them.
                Actually, unless you're suffering from the consequences of a diet deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, don't waste your money on anything more than a good, generic multi-vitamin. Do you happen to have any available published research that you could post establishing that multi-vitamins are the "minimum" rather than the maximum vitamin supplementation required by normal, healthy individuals?

As for Shaklee, in particular, I already posted a few questions on the post-workout meal thread.
                Last edited by ProWriter; 07-23-2005, 09:53 AM.
                No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by krj
                  Alright Shaklee Corporation rep - I've read enough.

You're now Exhibit A on my point about "healthy skepticism"
                  I don't recall ever trying to sell anything. I'm a consumer not a distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
                    Could you please post the text and citation (not links, please) of this recent AMA "admission" that multi-vitamins are beneficial, and (more importantly), any previous AMA statement against multi-vitamins that makes that position an "admission" rather than a mere "statement"?

Actually, unless you're suffering from the consequences of a diet deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, don't waste your money on anything more than a good, generic multi-vitamin. Do you happen to have any available published research that you could post establishing that multi-vitamins are the "minimum" rather than the maximum vitamin supplementation required by normal, healthy individuals?

As for Shaklee, in particular, I already posted a few questions on the post-workout meal thread.
                    The text is way too long to post. These are just a few things I found. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do all the research for everyone else to prove what I already know. Finding these articles takes a tremendous amount of time and resources. It took me almost a half hour to just find the Jama article. Fortunately I knew the month and year the article was posted. With a 3 year old and a 20 month old, time is not something I have alot of. I hope these help, but I strongly suggest everyone do their own research to find answers. Suggesting anyone take any generic multi is something most MD's do. MD's are not required to take any nurtition related courses throughout their entire schooling. Most no absolutely nothing about nutrition.

Here is the abstract of the JAMA article. You are more than welcome to pay them for the full transcript.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...=&FIRSTINDEX=0

Here is a brief and vague description on the FDA's website on RDA's.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00112.html

"Actually, unless you're suffering from the consequences of a diet deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, don't waste your money on anything more than a good, generic multi-vitamin."

The key is to prevent these deficiencies before they happen. It's alot easier to prevent than to fix once something happens.
                    Last edited by Virus; 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2978 users online. 139 members and 2839 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X