300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post workout meal?

what should you be eating after a workout? right now i go with some gatorade and tuna w/ hot souce on it, i know it sounds gross, but its really good.

I don't know about "should" or "should not" but when I was into weight training I would eat a couple of peanut butter and bananna sandwiches. Peanut butter for protein and banannas' potasium to alievate sore muscles the next days.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
      I don't know about "should" or "should not" but when I was into weight training I would eat a couple of peanut butter and bananna sandwiches. Peanut butter for protein and banannas' potasium to alievate sore muscles the next days.
      yah that makes sense, as i was reading this i was chowing down on a banana actually

Comment

Anything w/protien is a good choice. Tuna has lots!

Comment

Tuna ===== Mercury so don't eat it everyday.

Comment

After a workout always protein. Like bodie said, don't eat tuna or any fish for that matter more than twice a week.

Comment

Primarily a focus on complex carbohydrates, with a smaller amount of lean protein.

Comment

Unless you're an extreme ectomorph who has a great deal of difficulty gaining any weight at all, (or one of those guys who cares more about looking "bigger" in your clothes, even if most of your weight gains are a just a layer of fat instead of muscle) you really want to avoid peanut butter, and other high-fat foods, altogether. As I've explained before, the "good fat/bad fat" issue applies only to health, and not weight/physique maintenance (in connection with which all fats are equally "bad").

Your post-workout meal should have a good serving (about 40 grams) of a complete protein, but, as KRJ suggests, you also want to include a nice portion of complex carbs, for two reasons: 1. Carbs "spare" your protein for muscle tiissue repair, because if you eat only the protein, your body might break it down and use it for energy, instead of tissue repair; 2. Your muscles are most "primed" to store glycogen efficiently right after they've been exhausted from training. In principle, this is similar to carb "loading" without a specific depletion phase (other than your regular workout), and, generally, the more aerobic a workout you do, the more it applies.
                No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

thanks guys! awesome advice. i guess i don't want to get mercury poisoning so i will lay off the tuna to just 2 times a week. what do you guys usually eat after a workout?

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets
                    thanks guys! awesome advice. i guess i don't want to get mercury poisoning so i will lay off the tuna to just 2 times a week. what do you guys usually eat after a workout?

Muscle Milk. It's a protein shake with a little bit of creatine and a little bit of fat. It claims to help your body burn fat. I don't know whether it does or not but if you get the chocolate flavor and mix it with COLD water it taste JUST LIKE Nestle Quik. I drink it 30 min before work out and directly after workout. I can tell a difference in energy level and strength pre work out and definitely a lack of soreness post work out.

Don't get Strawberry, it tastes like Aspartame.
                    Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

After my morning workout I normally drink a whey protein shake with milk, because I need the added body mass that it gives me for football, and eat like a power bar and yogurt. In the afternoon/evening I drink another shake and then a little snack before dinner.
                      PSE Anderson

"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"

"Better to be by judged 12, than carried by 6"

Comment

Favorites post-workout include: cereal and milk, sandwich on whole wheat (meat and cheese, eggs or tuna mostly), whole wheat toast and jam, fruit (by itself, on cereal, in yogurt etc.), watered down fruit juice and/or sports drinks. Can eat a fair amount after a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Gottso
                          Wouldn't you want to ingest protein and a simplex carb immediately after workout. It takes time and energy for your body to break down complex carbs, so according to #2 here, you'd really want a simplex carb with your PWO shake...something your body can utilize immediately.
                          Actually, it IS recommended that what you eat immediately after exercise is in the simple carbohydrate category - they raise blood glucose and insulin levels, and facilitate glycogen resynthesis.

That doesn't mean the twinkie and soda variety of simple carbs though - more like honey, bagels, cornflakes, raisins etc. (high glycemic foods) - then spaghetti, oatmeal, bananas, grapes, oranges, rice, beans etc. (moderate glycemic foods) - then apples, applesauce, dates, milk, yogurt etc. (low glycemic foods).

The remainder of carbohydrates that you eat post w/o (and continue to eat until your next workout session) should be found in mostly complex carbs (breads, cereals, rice, pasta etc.) and some simple carbs (primarily fruits and vegetables).

Two big things to keep in mind:

1. Immediately post-workout, it's most efficient to eat as soon as possible (hard to do for some people, because they can't stomach a lot of food for a while), and include both a combination of carbohydrates and protein.

2. This whole glycogen resynthesis issue is important for everyone (as in "eating enough carbohydrates throughout the day to adequately fuel each of your workouts") - but the "immediately post workout" and "exact combinations of carbs and protein" is much more of an issue for those who are very fit and participate in very long and arduous bouts of endurance exercise.

For most of us, just try to drink enough before, during and after each workout - and try to eat a healthy diet on a daily basis that's founded primarily on complex carbohydrates, with smaller amounts of lean protein and fat.
                          Last edited by krj; 07-09-2005, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b
                            Muscle Milk. It's a protein shake with a little bit of creatine and a little bit of fat. It claims to help your body burn fat. I don't know whether it does or not but if you get the chocolate flavor and mix it with COLD water it taste JUST LIKE Nestle Quik. I drink it 30 min before work out and directly after workout. I can tell a difference in energy level and strength pre work out and definitely a lack of soreness post work out.

Don't get Strawberry, it tastes like Aspartame.
                            Muscle Milk is the best whey product I've tried. It's so fine that it blends so well with milk or water, whereas, some other products get all clumpy and disgusting. Their flavors are also great. Banana Creme and Cookies and Creme are pretty good. They just made an improved Cookies and Creme with 54 grams of protein per serving, rather than the 30 something the old one has.

Comment

Originally posted by Serpico
                              Muscle Milk is the best whey product I've tried. It's so fine that it blends so well with milk or water, whereas, some other products get all clumpy and disgusting. Their flavors are also great. Banana Creme and Cookies and Creme are pretty good. They just made an improved Cookies and Creme with 54 grams of protein per serving, rather than the 30 something the old one has.

Man, I gotta try that banana cream. I used to drink a Shaklee product about 10 years ago called Physique and it tasted like banana cream. I could drink that stuff even if I didn't work out. It tasted GREAT!
                              Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6508 users online. 368 members and 6140 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X