300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Training

Just wanted to say thanks again to those that responded to my previous post on slimming down. I've lost 10 lbs since going on a healthy diet and walking/running more actively. I don't know why I let myself get out of control but at least I stopped now instead of letting it get worse!

To the real question: Should I work hard on slimming down first before I start a weight training program? Or should I incorporate it on the days I don't run?
    Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

You will lose more fat when you start weight training. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn throughout the day. And don't fall for the "high reps-low weight for weight loss" garbage. Lift heavy, 3 sets of 6-8 reps per exercise. There are a lot of good books on bodybuilding and weight training out there, but a lot of garbage, too.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

definitely incorporate weight training into your workout on your non-running days. Whether you go heavy with low reps or lighter with higher reps with your weight training should depend on what your objectives are.
      Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Thanks for the help and supports guys! Wouldn't be as motivating w/o this forum and your guys' support! Appreciate it very much!!!

Comment

Definitely do both; cardio one day, weights the next. You can kick it up a notch too by walking on weight day as well, just don't over do it. And you'll probably need to up your protien intake if you're not already consuming enough so your body can keep up with the extra demand on your body. Otherwise it's all for nothing!

Comment

Something also to consider: After areobic activity your metabolism is increased only for about 30-40 minutes. If you weight train any one area of your body to muscle failure your metabolism is increased for 6-8 hours. So weight training is real good for anyone watching their diet.

Something many people don't consider when in law enforcement and run on regular basis: Your body has two groups of muscles (I'm no expert, I forget the term) but basically one group is for short period of activity and the other is for long periods of activity. If you are running, be sure you to incorporate wind-sprints into your run occationally to give those "short term" running muscles a work out as well (those are the ones you use, after all, when chasing a bad guy- at least at first).

Good luck and don't give up!
            You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I agree with the cardio and lifitng on the same day thought. Muscles grow and muscle glycogen replace when the body rests. Better to do lifting and cardio on the same day, preferably one in the morning and the other later in the day, with a complete day of rest between work outs.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess my next question would be what are some good healthy forms of protien I should increase in my diet? I can give an example of my diet I've been sticking with the last couple weeks:

Breakfast: Cereal w/ Banana (whole grain)
                Lunch: Ham or Turkey Sandwhich, Pretzels, Fruit
                Snacks: Rice Cakes, baby carrots, prezels, fruit
                Dinner: Usually a boiled chicken breast or a soy protien 'burger', spinich salad, small serving of cottage cheese.

Drink many oz. of water a day, sometimes will have iced tea, no pop, OJ, etc...but mostly water.

Any additions/subtractions you guys think would be a good idea?

Comment

Looks like you need more fat, and possibly more protein.

It sounds backwards, but there are good fats and bad fats. Good fats from almonds, peanut butter, fish and flaxseed oil keep your joints lubricated, your heart healthy and brain function normal. And believe it or not, they actually help you burn more body fat.

As far as protein goes, the debate will rage on and on about how many grams per pound of bodyweight, etc, but you do need protein to build and maintain muscle. If you are in fact going to start lifting weights heavy and often, you're going to need more protein that what you're getting. Protein shakes are an easy source of "clean" protein.

I'd stay away from the soy burgers, I've heard scary things about the effects of too much soy on your estrogen levels and brain function.

Also, don't be afraid of fish, turkey, lean beef and other healthy meats. Chicken might be the lowest in fat content, but it's also the most bland. Spice up your diet with interesting dishes with spices and in-season veggies and whatnot. If you eat the same thing day in day out, you'll grow tired of your diet and fall off the wagon.

I for one am not a fan of "dieting" but I do have a healthy diet. I stay away from a lot of processed foods, white flour, sugars, fatty meats, anything fried, too many sweets, etc. It's healthy, but it's also something I can do for the rest of my life, which is the part about healthy eating that so many people forget. They think they can eat cottage cheese for 8 weeks and then go back to their previous eating habits and keep the weight off.
                  *Not a cop*

Comment

Thanks for the info, maybe i'll look into a protien shake, got any info on which ones I should check out? It's not that I'm afraid of fish or turkey, it's just that it's very expensive and being a college student kinda takes away from having lots of money to spend on that stuff on a monthly, let alone weekly basis. I love fish and turkey, just spendy. What's the best way to cook fish, broil, bbq, george forman?

I really don't mind eating the same stuff everyday, i'm determined and have like you stopped eating the fast food, and processed foods, sweets are gone from my diet, it's only been a solid 2 weeks of changing my habits but it's working, my clothes are already starting to feel too big, i'm staying focused on my running and being a LEO is the only think i've wanted to do since high school and i'm going to work my *** off to succeed.

Comment

EAS, Prolab and Twinlabs are good companies. The GNC Pro Performance brand isn't too bad either. Just make sure you're careful about the sugar content as some are very high.

You can't go wrong with fish as long as you don't fry it. BBQ, George Foreman and broiling are all good. The only thing with broiling is you're gonna cook off some fat and it's going to pool around the fish, where with BBQ or the Foreman grill, it'll drip away.
                      *Not a cop*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5601 users online. 346 members and 5255 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X