Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Advice

Hey everyone,

this is my first post in some years! Nice to be back on the boards and get some good advice from all sorts of people!

Ok, I'm one year away from getting my degree at the University of Oregon and I've wanted to pursue LE since I joined the explorer program in my home town in High School. I've always been a heavier fella and I've lost some weight since high school but I'm really looking for some advice regarding getting into shape for physical tests. I think now my main focus should be loosing some weight but I was wondering if anyone had some advice regarding a diet or some good methods of shedding pounds in a healthy manner.

Lately I've been taking 2 mile walks every day and watching my diet very strictly. Anyone been in these shoes before and have any advice?!?!?
    Last edited by NPDeLeon; 06-25-2005, 12:44 AM.
    Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

Lots of advice already dispensed in other posts. Tons to read inthis health and fitness section. Just a heads up before the vets get here and toss that at you.

Some advice that I have picked up:
    *Talk with your doctor before you change your workout habit's. Do so or you could hurt yourself unneccesarily.

* You have to do more than just walk. You have to actually get your heart rate working harder and burning more calories than you take in.

*My doctor told me that at least an hour of workout with HR at target is good.

*If you run make sure you get a good pair of running shoes. Having them will eliminate A LOT of problems.

*3-4lbs of weight loss a week is healthy and I believe preferred.

*Exercise alone won't do you squat for weight loss. You have to change your diet and cut the crap. Drink lots of water or sports drink when you work out to help replace vital fluids lost from sweating.

*Stretching is not warming up. You need to stretch AND warm up muscle groups. Also, stretching will be debated as to whether or not it helps prevent injury. I suggest doing it anyways because whats the added workout but a maybe 5minutes.

*Doing sit-ups will not burn belly fat per say. It will burn some calories, yes. However doing situps alone won't give you the six-pack. Well, actually it will...but it will be hidden under a layer of fat if you don't burn weight off.

*Fat is fat, Muscle is muscle. Some people believe they can turn fat into muscle, you can't. Simple as that.

*If training for the academy, I suggest training for endurance. Pushups, situps, pull ups, crunches and the like.

*Don't believe the "no pain no gain" myth. If you are feeling true pain then you are doing something wrong and could hurt seriously hurt yourself. That isnt to say that if your muscles get tired that you shouldn't push yourself to do that last set. But if you are running and getting persistent sharp pains in your shins that don't go away for hours after you are done running and you run through those pains...you could put yourself out.

* STICK WITH IT. When I first started to run I did not like it very much, but after maybe 3 days of running I found it hard to NOT go out and run. I was WANTING to run and some days I would run twice (I wouldn't suggest this especially when starting out). If you slack off you will get lazy again and out of the routine. Same with other work outs. And push yourself.

*Take everything I have to say with a grain of salt. I am not anywhere near being an expert and I may have fed you back some information that I learned but told you it wrong or told you something that is purely just wrong. I strongly suggest reading up the past articles in this section.

Just a few things I could remember off the top of my head that I picked up after I decided to start working out from here on these forums, the internet, and my doctor.

Oh, one last thing. The scale is not always your friend. It can not distinguish between muscle weight and fat weight. The best way to measure progress is to monitor your heart rate. The faster your HR goes down to resting the more fit you are.

I am sure some of the others will come in soon to correct any mistakes I have made. I am just trying toget the ball rolling for you. Still, like I said before. Do research in the forums. I can almost guarantee any question you have has been asked. More than likely I have asked them and the post is still lingering somewhere.
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

Comment

I picked up a few more things . Thanks Gottso. Especially from that last bit .

Like Gottso said, different things work for different people. You will have to find what works for you.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice guys! I started that endurance program that PHX posted for Jessy! Feel really good after that run/walk, comes out to about a couple miles! Didn't think I had the energy to pull the whole thing out but I stuck with it and feel really good! Should ya go 24-48 hours before doing another workout like that? And what's a good target heart rate when doing cardio? One last question, I keep reading 'get some good running shoes' any one have any suggestions? I've been looking at those new nike free running shoes, i've heard nothing but great things about them, lightweight, unbelievably comfy, but does anyone have any good shoes for me to check out? Thanks a bunch you guys, the advice motivates me!

Comment

24 hours should be good enough if you ask me. Eventually you could possibly even get to a point where running twice in a day isn't really a problem.

I believe the forumla for max heart rate is 220 - your age= your target heart rate. I didn't post it before because I am still not sure of it. Google it and you will find loads of info on it. You then want to do a certain percentage of your target heart rate. Again, google it and you will find info on that too. I personally don't monitor my heart rate really. I just try to keep it elevated and try to keep my self sweaty. I also loosly keep track of how long it takes me to stop sweating and get my heart rate back down.

I haven't used the nike free shoes but just from looking at them I don't see how they would be a good thing. No cushioning or absorbtion that I can see. Personally, I would see myself getting a lot of back pains running in those. I suggest New Balance for running. I never noticed it until I started to look, but just about everywhere I see people running they are wearing NB shoes. I honestly can't think of anyone in my life who runs regularly that doesn't do so in NB. I recently read from someone that bigger guys like us need more cushioning, not sure of the source or info on that though. However, me being 6'1" 265lbs I am sure my feet are taking a beating when I run.These are the shoes that I bought for training a little while ago. Absolutely love them.

Hope that helps. Also, remember that a lot of the information I have is second hand. I am only a professional amatuer . So take everything I say and look into it first and don't take it as gospel.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I'm not totally out of shape, been an athlete (basketball, wrestling, and baseball) all my life as a kid and in high school. I think for now i'm going to stick w/ that program phx posted, says 3 times a week, I figure I can do it MWF in the mornings before work, then everyday after work walk the 2 miles with my girlfriend and start my ab/pushup training, ProWriter gave me some really good advice in that area so that should be a good start!

I went and tried on those nike frees today, they're supposed to emulate running barefoot, they are very comfy, but in the long run no stable cushion, I like those shoes you have, have to see if i can find some around here! Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Pt

Some great advice given to you and in other posts on this forum, but IMO your best bet is to hire a personal trainer for a few weeks. I consider myself fairly knowledgable about H&F, but I hired one for 6 weeks prior to my PAT and know I realize how great it was that I did. You will not only be pushed harder than you think you can go, but you will learn a basic foundation of what to do on your own. It can be costly, but its worth it. Its an investment into your health and career. Buy into a few sessions, they will formulate it to your goals, it will also include nutrition info and you will be glad you did. You can even bring them the ideas from this thread that you get and they will adjust that into your plan. I wish you the best of luck!
              ....Remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste,look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. -E. Whymper

Comment

I've actually thought of doing that, but sad to say I'm in college and can barely afford to eat let alone hire a personal trainer. I still have a year of schooling left before I would actually start filling out apps for PDs. I have my goal wieght and a routine that should help me and it already has, I've lost 5 lbs in the last week and as long as I keep up the work I should be down to my target weight range!

As I said I've always been big, then i lost a MASS amount of weight my sophomore year in college but then I transferred schools and didn't have many friends and started partying a lot when i got them so gained a lot of weight back, just trying to get back down and fit now so I won't be stressing when it gets time to graduate. I've cut out the bad habits, fast food, beer, pop, basically anything unhealthy for the last 3 weeks and I already feel better just by not eating and spending what little money have on that crap!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5144 users online. 311 members and 4833 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X