Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience with this????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have experience with this????

Lung Power

The biggest obstacle I seem to be encountering is shortness of breath and no I don't have asthma. I just have small lungs (so the doctor said way back when I took a test for the SCBA certification for the local volunteer fire department).

Does anyone know anything about this product and whether or not it works?

I'm hoping it can help take me running to the next level.

TRPR2B
    Be a leader, not a follower

My first inclination was to laugh.

My second inclination, knowing that you are serious, is to just say don't waste your money.

I've never heard of these things before, and I don't know if you have "small lungs" or not - but you will get better at running, and take your running to the next level, simply by running.

It's not only lung capacity that improves when you run:

a) The muscles, bones and connective tissue that are stressed during running become stronger.

b) The muscles and connective tissues required during running, learn to respond and adapt faster to the stresses specifically placed on them during running (ie. warmups become shorter).

c) The "messages" that travel from your brain to the specific muscles and nerves required to run become more efficient.

d) Your "head" (as in mental state) becomes stronger and more focused as your abilities improve.

e) Your confidence level in your running ability improves. IE. the more you DO, the more efficient you BECOME. Which in turn provides you with confidence in your abilities, and confidence to try more (as in: add drills to your running, put in hills, run in adverse weather conditions, increase mileage or speed etc.)

Lung capacity is only part of the solution - a big part especially early on, but a part none-the-less. As I said above, I've never heard of these lung contraptions - but I have been a runner long enough and been around other runners long enough to say "do it the old fashioned way and just hit the roads" consistantly.

Comment

yes, do what krj said...dont waist your money. Start of running slower distances. When i first started running, i started running about half a mile each night. Then when running half a mile seemed real easy, i started running 3/4 of a mile, then a mile. Now i do 3 miles a night. You just have to discipline yourself to go out and run every night, and you will get better at it.

also, try this when you run. Exhale every 2 steps. Dont constantly breath hard because you will be starving your muscles for oxygen. Hold the breath in your lungs for 2-3 steps, then exhale.
      Last edited by Merk911; 06-03-2005, 10:17 PM. Reason: adding more

Comment

Right now I can run 1.75 miles without stopping at a 8 minute mile pace. Then I have to walk for about 1/4 mile and then I run a 1/4 and then I walk a 1/4 and then finish the last 1/2 mile back at the 8 min mile pace.

It just bothers me that the whole time I feel like no matter how much air I take in it's not enough.

I run every other day right now and I have been running since February.

Any advice is grealy appreciated.

Comment

To be honest, what you are running at right now sounds totally fine....hell I'd love to be able to run even half of a mile non stop at that pace. I also haven't been running as long as you...but still. You sound like you are doing just fine as you are. Just my 2 on that...
          Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
          For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
          Shall be my brother." - Henry V

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b
            Right now I can run 1.75 miles without stopping at a 8 minute mile pace. Then I have to walk for about 1/4 mile and then I run a 1/4 and then I walk a 1/4 and then finish the last 1/2 mile back at the 8 min mile pace.

It just bothers me that the whole time I feel like no matter how much air I take in it's not enough.

I run every other day right now and I have been running since February.

Any advice is grealy appreciated.
            Trpr2b - would you try an experiment for me? Spend 5-10 minutes warming up, and then go up to your run pace. BUT, I want you to consciously hold back on the speed - I want you to run slowly enough (maybe somwhere around a 9-9:30 min/mile speed) to be able to run the whole 3 miles without stopping or walking.

After a few minutes of running you're gonna be good and warmed-up and will want to pick up the pace - don't. Consciously hold back the whole time (so you always feel like you have energy in reserve) and concentrate on keeping a smooth easy stride and slow and consistant pace.

If you do this, please let us know how things worked out with the run.
            Last edited by krj; 06-05-2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krj
              Trpr2b - would you try an experiment for me? Spend 5-10 minutes warming up, and then go up to your run pace. BUT, I want you to consciously hold back on the speed - I want you to run slowly enough (maybe somwhere around a 9-9:30 min/mile speed) to be able to run the whole 3 miles without stopping or walking.

After a few minutes of running you're gonna be good and warmed-up and will want to pick up the pace - don't. Consciously hold back the whole time (so you always feel like you have energy in reserve) and concentrate on keeping a smooth easy stride and slow and consistant pace.

I absolutely will. I'm going to start running everyday starting tomorrow morning (this will also allow me to rest up and lift in the evenings). I will report to you tomorrow evening my results.

Thanks,

TRPR2B

Comment

Originally posted by krj

OK KRJ I did as you asked. I warmed up for about 6 minutes (walking, light jogging and then stretching) then took off on my usual route. I had the Navy Seal Cadence CD playing and had my footsteps timed with their cadence. Also, this route is fairly hilly. It is not perfectly flat. I try to alternate. Some days I run at the track and some days I hit the sidewalk so that I can run in a straight line.

Here are the results:

I ran the entire 3 miles non-stop in 27min 34 sec. I never felt out of breath and felt like I could have kept running longer than the three miles but, got to go to work to pay the bills.

Interesting side notes: My legs (left knee and right hip flexor) felt great when I finished up. Running the other way I have been running both are usually killing me. Once the run was over I didn't feel out of breath either.

I hope this tells you what you need to know but please feel free to ask me anything and please tell me why you asked me to do the run this way and what all of this means.

Thank you,

TRPR2B

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b
                  Here are the results:

I ran the entire 3 miles non-stop in 27min 34 sec. I never felt out of breath and felt like I could have kept running longer than the three miles but, got to go to work to pay the bills.

Interesting side notes: My legs (left knee and right hip flexor) felt great when I finished up. Running the other way I have been running both are usually killing me. Once the run was over I didn't feel out of breath either.

I hope this tells you what you need to know but please feel free to ask me anything and please tell me why you asked me to do the run this way and what all of this means.

TRPR2B
                  Your running experience today backs up what I thought might be happening during your regular runs: that you run too hard and too fast given your current fitness level and/or running ability. That you probably are running at a pace hard enough to force you to use your anaerobic system (as opposed to your aerobic or cardiovascular system).

I have to make this quick 'cause I am heading out of town (I'll check in again Wed) but think about doing this (for now):

Doing 4 runs a week

Do one long run of between 3-4 miles @ 9-9:30min/mile pace

Do one mid-distance interval run (1.5-2.5 miles) (do regular run pace, when you feel like it pick up the pace until you feel like you're running "comfortably hard", when you're tired slow it down again, then pick it up - do this for the entire run

Do one short distance tempo run - you can do 1.5 miles right now at an 8 mins/mile pace. Warm-up properly, pick up to your run pace, and run 1 mile @ a "comfortably hard" pace for the entire run (maybe a 7:45 - 7:30 pace)

Do one run a week at a relaxed and comfortable pace - you pick the distance, you pick the terrain (not the track - do the scenery/sights thing), don't time yourself - just do it for fun

LONG RUN - to help increase cardio base (and slow enough to keep you in your cardio zone), and to help increase confidence

MID-DISTANCE INTERVAL AND SHORT DISTANCE TEMPO - to "teach" your feet to move fast and your body to maintain good form (over distances that you can handle right now)

FUN RUN - 'cause running is supposed to be fun, and thinking about pace, distance, tempo, cardio zones, etc. etc. sucks all the fun out of running if that's ALL you think about.

Other people please also chime in on this.

Comment

Hey have you ever tried some swimming to get your cardio up? A lot of people focus just on running, which is good to a point. Try to throw some swimming in maybe once or twice a week. Its easier on your feet and legs but if done right, you can get some good cardio in and it might help your lungs. I don't know what your swimming level is, but if you are fairly decent, then try swimming for 10-15 mins., then rest, then swim some more. Try and focus on your breathing. When you swim, you obviously have to focus on breathing a little more. See if it helps!
                    "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

I don't know about THAT product, but I have heard of a similar product meant for musicians that supposedly actually works after a while.
                      I know that playing a woodwind instrument has increased my lung capacity. Playing every day for two hours does that.
                      Yelling at people is a good way to exercise your lungs
                      Seriously though, keeping your head above water (and breathing of course) while swimming seems to work best.
                      My $.02
                      Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by nctroop14
                        Hey have you ever tried some swimming to get your cardio up? A lot of people focus just on running, which is good to a point. Try to throw some swimming in maybe once or twice a week. Its easier on your feet and legs but if done right, you can get some good cardio in and it might help your lungs. I don't know what your swimming level is, but if you are fairly decent, then try swimming for 10-15 mins., then rest, then swim some more. Try and focus on your breathing. When you swim, you obviously have to focus on breathing a little more. See if it helps!
                        I haven't but I will. I actually have a pool but it's just not gotten warm enough to use it. This is the craziest weather I've seen in a long time.

So what number are they up to now for patrol schools? Ie. 96th, etc.?

TRPR2B

Comment

Swimming will be good for you...even in cold water!! The 112th "fast track" school just grad. I believe. They have a long school going on now.
                          "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

Comment

Originally posted by nctroop14
                            Swimming will be good for you...even in cold water!! The 112th "fast track" school just grad. I believe. They have a long school going on now.
                            Sadly enough I was in the 96th but left the first Monday. Still bugs me. They are a great organization!

How long is the fast track school?

TRPR2B

Comment

Well you should apply again...it is worth it to stick it out!! The fast track is for prior leo's...they run it like a regular school but cut out the BLET part. So its only 15 weeks. Ithink you have to have at least 2 years of police work and you have to score high on your cooper fitness testing. Its tough but I rather go through hell for 15 weeks instead of 30!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4507 users online. 317 members and 4190 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X