300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any triathletes?

I am doing an off-road sprint triathlon this month and I have a question for anyone with some experience. Have you worn wetsuits for the swim and does it make a big difference if it's a tri-wetsuit or a normal wetsuit? The water is going to be about 65-70 degrees so I think it'll be smart to have one.
    "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Originally posted by Titan67
    I am doing an off-road sprint triathlon this month and I have a question for anyone with some experience. Have you worn wetsuits for the swim and does it make a big difference if it's a tri-wetsuit or a normal wetsuit? The water is going to be about 65-70 degrees so I think it'll be smart to have one.
    I only did a few triathlons before I moved onto adventure racing, so someone else may have better info for you. A lot of triathletes wear the sleeveless wet-suits (so they don't limit arm and shoulder mobility during the swim). I wouldn't wear the full sleeve suits - too cumbersome, and you'll get way too warm way too quickly.

65-70 degrees is pretty cool, but not freezing, and I've swum in the lake many times without a wet suit at that temperature without problems. A lot depends on your swimming ability, the air temp, the water temp and how long you'll actually be in the water. Whenever possible I prefer to swim without it - but serious triathletes wear them and swear the suits improve their times.

Comment

I'm not a great swimmer and it'll be my weakest leg of the three, but i'm still looking no more than 20 or so minutes. I am interested in one for the added bouyancy because that has to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan67
        I'm not a great swimmer and it'll be my weakest leg of the three, but i'm still looking no more than 20 or so minutes. I am interested in one for the added bouyancy because that has to help.
        I'm not sure what the "added bouyancy" thing means - helping to keep you on the water's surface? Helping to improve overall time? Irregardless, I'll just say:

1. take your time and use whatever stroke (or combination of strokes) are your strongest

2. concentrate on getting out of the water safely - you can make up for lost time on the bike or run

3. keep an eye open for and know where the safety boats are while you're in the water

4. wet suit is not gonna make up for lack of overall skill or fitness in the water

5. swim in a lake a couple of times (not alone) if you haven't already before the race - it's nothing like swimming in a pool

6. if it's a mass start get to the back of the pack and let the faster swimmers go out in front (if not, they'll swim right over the top of you - literally)

7. if placement in the water is based on your "estimated swim time" be conservative, again so you are at the back of the pack and out of harms' way

8. Re-read #2

Comment

thanks for the advice. My goal is to make it out safe, but i am strong enough in the water that it's not a real concern, yet still top priority.

Comment

Sorry if I told you stuff you already knew - I interpreted your posts to mean that you did not have a lot of experience or confidence in the water. It sounds like you'll do just fine. Best of luck with your race!

Comment

Originally posted by krj
              5. swim in a lake a couple of times (not alone) if you haven't already before the race - it's nothing like swimming in a pool
              ^^^ That is the best advice.

I also did an off-road sprint triathlon. I was swimming laps in the pool for an hour straight 5 days a week. I could have swam at that leisurely pace for hours on end...in a heated pool. I got into the lake (with a wet-suit) and nearly drowned. My swimming technique went out the window and the cold water took my breath away. By the time I got out of the water I was completely exhausted. Needless to say, the biking and running was 10 times harder after that.

The thing I like about sports like running, cycling and triathlons is that others will cheer you on. After people finished the race, they went back out and cheered on the others that were still coming in. It was a great experience.

Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16584 users online. 262 members and 16322 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X