Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What running pace should I be training at?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What running pace should I be training at?

Amazing what one can find when a day off of midnight shift means being up all night bored:

Check this link out, I wish I found it sooner:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...0-1000,00.html

In my case, I know that the minimum run time for 1.5 miles is 14:30. I shoot for about 13:00. The track I use at my health club is 1/10th of a mile, so I need 15 laps. For 13 laps, I pace myself to :55 or less. For the 14th lap, I shoot for :45 or less. Then I sprint for a lap.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

we get 15:20 for our 1.5 mile.... I would laugh and say its a joke, but I couldnt pass it... ( hammy cramped up and lap 4, and couldnt finish up in time )

I'll go again in 3 weeks... Any advice for shin splints?

Comment

Runners World is a great resource for all things running related (training for all distances, nutrition, injuries and injury prevention, shoes, etc.)

Re: shin splints: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18861

Comment

Not being able to talk is running at an anareobic pace and yes one can get away with that for a few months considering how short the 1.5mile run is. However if you want to be able to always run your fastest on demand at any time then the majority of the training runs must be in the aerobic easy pace run and the anareobic has to by cycled otherwise you go to get out of the car to chase a 19 year old and your legs are going to be like lead.

Also training at an anareobic pace all the time depletes the same muscle glycogen one needs to lift with. And for me lifting is priority one; running is a very distant second.

In Veritas's case the standard is so slow I wouldn't do any speed work and would stick with a nice easy areobic base. Easy on the body and easy on the mind.
          Last edited by JRT6; 04-27-2005, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirch
            In my case, I know that the minimum run time for 1.5 miles is 14:30. I shoot for about 13:00. The track I use at my health club is 1/10th of a mile, so I need 15 laps. For 13 laps, I pace myself to :55 or less. For the 14th lap, I shoot for :45 or less. Then I sprint for a lap.
            If you are running a certain distance, say a mile and a half, and you are sprinting at the end that means that you aren't running fast enough.

In the AF, there were many people who ran a crappy PT time, but sprinted at the end. Their pace was way off.

Yes, seeing the end will help you run a tad faster, but you shouldn't have enough gas in the tank to sprint. This is very important on test day.

Comment

I disagree if at the end you can't pick up the pace because your already maxed your in danger of falling short. Better to run a pace that leaves a tiny bit left going into the last lap then lactate aciding out and dying on the last lap or two.

I see it at every police academy: guys who don't build up the aerobic base who try to basically anaerobicly run the whole thing. 50/50 chance of passing the 12 min standard.

What I do is I go easy ten months out of the year then speed work the month or two before the annual. I haven't run over 11m yet. 10:30 average is just fine for my 250lb bw

Comment

I am talking about a sprint. If you can sprint at the end, you are not running fast enough. Your pace is way off. If you run the first part quicker, your time will be much better. It just takes practice.

It looks stupid when you run a 10 min mile and a half and you are blazing at the end.

8:51 mile and a half.

Comment

If you gotta ask this question...you already know the answer.....your not running hard enough.......
                  Terrorist: "You're a policeman, even policeman have rules". John Mclane: "Yeah, that's what my captain keeps telling me!"

Comment

yea, PT is good for you, but running is not so good for guys with strong upperbodys... Too much inpact on the knees... Sounds funny, but it is true...

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                      After 4 clicks that stupid pop up ad was still there so I quit trying...

IMO, if you can comfortably talk while running, you're going too slow... I think you should be running at a pace where you can't talk at all (where you need all your air just for breathing)
                      Samuel,

I think you need to re-read your post. As far as what "tyoe" of training I looked at it from the context of the this thread whcih was training pace for 80-90% of running.

JM,

"It looks stupid when you run a 10 min mile and a half and you are blazing at the end.

8:51 mile and a half."

How is it that that looks stupid? If your running as hard as you can it's a sprint regardess of what it "looks like" and who wouldn't end a race running as fst as they could. "8:51 mile and a half" Dude how much do you weigh?

Veritas,
                      No running, no getting to play on the swat team.

Boys,
                      The reason for this thread was to show people a nice and convientant way to figure out your areobic range. That's it.
                      Last edited by JRT6; 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Our mile and a half is 17:17, you can practically walk the 6 laps and pass.But you'd be surprised how many come close to not making it.

Comment

Originally posted by pd821
                          Our mile and a half is 17:17, you can practically walk the 6 laps and pass.But you'd be surprised how many come close to not making it.

Holy $hit... What dept is that?

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                            If you are running a certain distance, say a mile and a half, and you are sprinting at the end that means that you aren't running fast enough.

In the AF, there were many people who ran a crappy PT time, but sprinted at the end. Their pace was way off.

Yes, seeing the end will help you run a tad faster, but you shouldn't have enough gas in the tank to sprint. This is very important on test day.
                            Well, I'm by no means an excercise physiologist, but I've asked several trainers and coaches about it, and I've always received conflicting opinions. So I could be doing it wrong. Or I could be doing it right. *shrug*

In my admittedly uninformed opinion, running for police work requires two capabilities: stamina for duration and sprinting for speed. From what little I know about training, there's really no way to be exceptional at both. So I figure if I can run at a comfortable pace for 12 or so minutes, then still be able to sprint, I'm covering my bases.

8:51 mile and a half? Kudos to you. The last time I could come close to that was about 25 years ago. But it reminds me of what the Training Sergeant said to us on testing day:
                            You must complete 12 laps for a mile and a half. Please note the plastic garbage cans placed strategically around the track. If you are going to vomit, please use the garbage cans. Do NOT try to reach the locker room -- you WILL NOT make it. The maximum time is 14:30. The department record is 7:41, set by Officer ******** in 2002. If you are attempting to beat the department record...let me once again point out the plastic garbage cans placed strategically around the track.
                            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

17:17 is the POST standard for the mile and a half in the State of Nevada. Some agencies do however change theres around a bit. But to graduate the academy it was the 17:17 for me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9327 users online. 265 members and 9062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X