Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Shoes...How long before you replace them?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Shoes...How long before you replace them?

Just curious of what you guys think...How many miles do you put on a pair of running shoes before you replace them? I have about 200 miles on this pair. Do you guys wait until they break down or change them out prior? I was thinking about buying a new pair of the NIKE SHOX. Does anyone own a pair?

I wear NB, I bought them at a running store and end up trying on about 10 pairs each time I go down there and always end up comming out w/ the NB. I get 2E width though and they also hold up better for my size.

My Iron man running bud from the academy told me you can get a lot more life out of a pair of shoes if you buy 2 pair at the same time and swap them each run. He said they end up lasting as long as 3 pair.

That all said, I run till the heels start to break down which is probably too long.

My best advise is to go to a running store and get the shoes that fit you best. The big chains really only serve the average foot and if you are like most officers, you have other than that perfect running foot.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

YES! two pairs rotated are the way to go if you can - by letting the shoes "rest" you can probably get another 100+ miles on 'em

replacing shoes is not an exact science - when I ran in college I put some HARD miles on shoes, and our coach usually made us change them out around 400 miles (which during heavy training season for some on my team would mean a new pair every month or so) - but now that I run a little more "casually" (approx. 30 miles a week) AND not as hard, I can get a good 1000 miles on my shoes before they get "that look" and I retire them to everyday shoes and buy a new pair.

But I say it isn't an exact science 'cause like most runners I am of a slight build (6', 150), so I probably will go through shoes a lot slower than some of you bigger guys who pound pavement hard.

Look for compression on the midsole - aches and pains in the knees or back when there usually isn't pain, and it isn't associated with a particularly "hard" workout - if they don't have treads anymore GET NEW SHOES NOW

I used to work at a runnign shoe store - most employees there will point you in the right direction, but it is my experience that they over-diagnose pronation/supnation, so like the others have said: their advice + trying lots of pairs= the right shoe for you!

Comment

I buy all my shoes at The Snails Pace in SoCal. They let me try on and run in every pair of shoes and would watch my running front and back to see how each shoe changed my running. The only way to go when you have no idea what to buy.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

People here are making some good points on rotation of shoes and also checking the shoes for compression. If the sides of the shoes are getting stiff its time for new shoes. I'm 5-10 200lbs so I break my shoes down a little quicker than 1000 miles. I would suggest getting new ones every 500 miles and least a new pair every year even without 500 miles on them. I'm an Asics Gel Kayano fan personally. Have never ran in Nikes so can't comment on them.
          Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

I honeslty have no clue how long they last for... I have to replace them due to the nasty *** smell after about 3 months...

Seriously though, I too have the Nike Shox and they have lasted me about 6 months without any real sign of dying... ( Aprox 100 miles of track time )

Good luck

Comment

Shoe

For running shoes it is best to go to a specialty running store. Some places now have treadmills where staff will watch you run on a tv where they can put it on slow motion to watch how your foot pronates. They will also look at your feet to look at arches, etc. Once that is done ask to see shoes that will fit your running style. Try them on without looking at the price or caring what they look like. I have a neutral balanced stride and I prefer a more cushioned shoe so I like Asics Gel Nimbus. Remember also that quality running shoes are usually not the brands you are used to hearing about (nike). The best running shoes are usually asics, new balance, brooks, etc.
              "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

You might also bring in a set of worn out shoes for them to look at

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
                  For running shoes it is best to go to a specialty running store. Some places now have treadmills where staff will watch you run on a tv where they can put it on slow motion to watch how your foot pronates. They will also look at your feet to look at arches, etc. Once that is done ask to see shoes that will fit your running style. Try them on without looking at the price or caring what they look like. I have a neutral balanced stride and I prefer a more cushioned shoe so I like Asics Gel Nimbus. Remember also that quality running shoes are usually not the brands you are used to hearing about (nike). The best running shoes are usually asics, new balance, brooks, etc.
                  Try explaining that to this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMetro
                    Just curious of what you guys think...How many miles do you put on a pair of running shoes before you replace them? I have about 200 miles on this pair. Do you guys wait until they break down or change them out prior? I was thinking about buying a new pair of the NIKE SHOX. Does anyone own a pair?
                    I bought a pair of these runners when they first came out several years ago. At first I was impressed but after about 75 miles or so they became soft in the heel. This made me feel unbalanced while running at faster paces, interval training and 5ks.

Maybe Nike has improved them since. Good luck on your search.

Oh, and about mileage, Runner's World suggests you replace your shoes approximately every 300 to 400 miles.

Run Happy!!
                    What controls your thoughts controls your life.

Comment

There are other companies that make better running shoes across the board than Nike, however I have a pair of NIKE SHOX 2:45 and I will never run in another shoe until they stop making them. They have a NEW lower profile shox system in the heal with an extra 2 colomns and the ZOOM AIR in the fore-foot. I love this shoe. Super light and very comfortable. Look around but I would pay much more than i did for these shoes.

As far as how many miles to switch after....the above sounds good to me, but you can google it and get some good tips as well.
                      "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

I require motion control running shoes. For my feet and running requirements, I wear Mizuno Legend shoes. The seem to have good support and cushioning. I have to go to specialty running stores to find motion control shoes and pay a little more but it is worth every penny.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17961 users online. 478 members and 17483 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X