300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching part 2

In the first stretching thread I mentioned how stretching before a set can give one a little extra strength by delaying the mechanism that shuts a muscle down when the overload is preceived by the body as being to great. This is the same mechanism that gets shut down when mom gets an adrenaline dump and picks the car up off of dad after it falls on him while changing a tire. I just read an article in Ironman magazine (with professional references) that now says that stretching before a set can actually temporarily weaken tendons and cause injury. It was deduced that this was the number one cause of pectoral tears from the humerous bone; an injury which I suffered ten years ago and have struggled with the aftermath ever since.

Which is true: stretch or no stretch? Like all things in the health field it goes around in cricles, good yesterday, bad today, good tomorrow. I have to stretch between every set of box squats to keep my knees feeling good. Is that just killing the pain that should be telling me to stop? Maybe but my knees have been doing pretty good lately. I'll keep stretching on that. Am I gonna stretch between sets of bench? Hell no!

They have been debating that for years, I'd say look at it from a practicle standpoint. Stuff that is warm stretches a heck of a lot easier than stuff that is cold and you want to warm up before going 100% so it would seem the best bet would be to warm up, stretch and then work out. My group has a lot of good stretches in the file section if you are interested. No spam and you can keep your email private.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by JRT6
      In the first stretching thread I mentioned how stretching before a set can give one a little extra strength by delaying the mechanism that shuts a muscle down when the overload is preceived by the body as being to great. This is the same mechanism that gets shut down when mom gets an adrenaline dump and picks the car up off of dad after it falls on him while changing a tire. I just read an article in Ironman magazine (with professional references) that now says that stretching before a set can actually temporarily weaken tendons and cause injury. It was deduced that this was the number one cause of pectoral tears from the humerous bone; an injury which I suffered ten years ago and have struggled with the aftermath ever since.

Which is true: stretch or no stretch? Like all things in the health field it goes around in cricles, good yesterday, bad today, good tomorrow. I have to stretch between every set of box squats to keep my knees feeling good. Is that just killing the pain that should be telling me to stop? Maybe but my knees have been doing pretty good lately. I'll keep stretching on that. Am I gonna stretch between sets of bench? Hell no!
      So, I'm in the gym yesterday, thinking about this thread as I'm stretching to do my legs The article I posted on the last thread suggested that stretching isn't the protective mechanism it's traditionally been considered to be. On the other hand, it didn't say that stretching causes injury. The distinction made in the article I referenced reported that soccer players (I think it was) suffered no fewer injuries based on whether or not they stretched regularly. (I'd like to see the Iron Man article, but I don't necessarily trust that stuff fitness magazine reference is always taken in context.)

I think there's also a distinction between types of injury: The more flexible your joint is, the less likely an injury from athletic contact resulting in a hyperextending force to the joint, which is pretty obvious. (Meaning simply, that an athlete who can do a full split is a lot less likely to suffer injury if forced into a split by athletic contact.)

As far as stretching temporarily weakening the tendon goes, I think that ties into the Golgi Tendon Organ thing we discussed last time. A well stretched tendon is less protected by the Golgi reflex than an unstretched tendon, because the receptors probably don't detect enough "stretch" to kick in the reflex in reference to absolute tendon length, but to relative length as computed through tensile force they detect. A pre-stretched tendon might be more susceptible to stretching beyond its maximum safe range of motion if the Golgi reflex is delayed or absent by virtue of stretching it prior to exposing it to a tensile load that would normally trigger the protective mechanism at that same degree of joint motion. That make any sense?
      Last edited by ProWriter; 04-20-2005, 08:12 AM.
      No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

The article maintained that stretching just before a lifting set just plain made the tendon temporarily weaker regardless of the stretch placed on it by the exercise. I don't remember the specifics of it now as I had borrowed the magazine. I should have photocopied the article.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17641 users online. 510 members and 17131 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X