300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions

im starting police academy around the beginning of August this year and i currently weigh 240 pounds and i am 5'11 - i looked it up that my ideal weight should be 190-200 - lately ive been running 1 mile alternating in running and walking and coming home and doing 100 crunches and 100 knee pushups (so that my shoulders will be strong enough when i do the real push ups) - if anyone has any suggestions at what i need to do or what i shouldn't do - let me know? also im a on a very restricted calorie intake diet - i hit only once a day and drink lots of water and eat 3 servings of non-fat yogurt - and also with my deadline being in august do you think my goal of losing 40 pounds seems reasonable or no?

Originally posted by apuzilla
    im starting police academy around the beginning of August this year and i currently weigh 240 pounds and i am 5'11 - i looked it up that my ideal weight should be 190-200 - lately ive been running 1 mile alternating in running and walking and coming home and doing 100 crunches and 100 knee pushups (so that my shoulders will be strong enough when i do the real push ups) - if anyone has any suggestions at what i need to do or what i shouldn't do - let me know? also im a on a very restricted calorie intake diet - i hit only once a day and drink lots of water and eat 3 servings of non-fat yogurt - and also with my deadline being in august do you think my goal of losing 40 pounds seems reasonable or no?
    In janurary i was 5'11" 240 and today I am 5'11" 190. Most experts will say to drop about two pounds a week to do it healtily, and i agree. However, if you are running hard and every thing those first 10-15 drop very quickly. I dropped the first 15 in about 2-3 weeks of busting my tail then made sure that I slowed it down a bit. I still ran as much but only ate in a caloritic deficit by about 700 calories a day. This is very doable just don't rush it, stay committed, and keep doing the push-ups and everything so you don't loose your strength. I did the workout from this website http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/brent2.htm and it did wonders for me. Good luck and when you get tired and want to quit remember how much is on the line.
    "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

Some quick suggestions:

1. Go back through this section of the forum and read everything you can about diet, nutrition, running, strength training, injury prevention and academy fitness standards. The Search function doesn't work, but you can still go back through the pages one at a time and read the info - there's a lot of good stuff there

2. You could probably lose 40 pounds by August if you are/were highly motivated. But I'm not convinced that you actually need to lose that much. Don't go by the charts - they're crap. And they're even less useful for physically active people.

3. Start eating more, and more often. You're not going to be able to stay physically active for long if you are only eating one meal a day and supplementing with non-fat yogurt. It's just not enough food to sustain your workouts (particularly when your runs start to get longer). Again, go through the threads - there's a lot of info about what you should and shouldn't eat, how much of each nutritional component, reading food labels etc.

4. Start doing regular pushups. If you can do 100 on your knees you're strong enough to be able to do some of those pushups on hands and feet. When you have done as many as you can do the regular way, then go down to your knees and do more

5. Keep focusing on exactly what you're focusing on now - improving your running ability, pushups and situps. But do a lot of reading as you go along because it's really important to learn how to do all this stuff safely.

Comment

thing about pushups is that the only reason i do knee pushups is because i was in a accident 3 yrs ago and i hurt my left arm and thus my left arm is very weak - i never knew that i should have worked it out or anything - doctors didn't tell me anything - thats why i have to do the knee pushups because my right arm is ok but my left arm is the messed up one - nowadays i can only do 20 knee pushups before my my left arm starts to give and thanks for the reply

Comment

Ignore those Govt. charts that give an ideal weight based upon your height. According to them Evander Holyfield is obese at 6' tall and 220lbs! They aren't accurate by any means. They do not take your frame, training, or actual body fat percentages into account.

Although I'm not quite as ripped as Evander (I wish lol) I too am listed as "obese" by their charts. I guess my MMA training (3 or 4 days a week) and twice a week total body strength training (weights) workouts aren't doing me a lick of good. I want my money back!!!

Does your graduation rely upon your passing the Cooper fitness test? You may want to join a gym and get some help in isolating that bad shoulder and working to get it stronger between now and then. Wouldn't hurt and I think you'd be surprised at how fast your body would respond to strength training.

You dont have to put up huge weights right away. Your shoulder will get stronger very quickly if you train regularly and intelligently. Good luck with this.

Comment

i was thinking that i have 15 pound dumbbells and i could just lift those and strength my shoulder for now no? and yes once the academy starts i have 8 weeks to compelete the agilty course which consist of a obstacle course, 6 foot wall, 35 pushups in 1 minute, 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, and quarter mile sprint in 1 minute - so hopefully training slow + the 8 weeks of training i get i can pass my police academy

Comment

apuzilla,
              CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO. Remember the more you sweat the better...this means your burning calories.
              Also, eat more meals throughout the day. Skipping meals will only increase your chances of over-eating later in the day. Try eating five to six small meals through the day. Eating 5 to 6 times per day also helps maintain a balanced blood sugar level, which is very important to losing weight. Include fruits, veggies and lean meats in your diet. Yogurt is a good carb and Non or Low fat cottage cheese is a good source of protein. Good Luck. What Department you going for?
              Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comment

thanx ill starting a bit more then - and also im going for homicide once i qualify for detective

Comment

thanx ill starting a bit more then - and also im going for homicide once i qualify for detective
                  Baby steps there man, baby steps, you have to graduate the academy, fto and get a few years before you even think about homicide.

You might try some accupuncture on the shoulder also.

What department is hiring you btw?
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

im thinking either houston police department or harris county both in texas and both department's academy starts the same month - so im undecided on the department but ill find out more once i go see the headquarters and ask questions about the department on a one-on-one basis because im an asian from india so they are gonna want a minority

Comment

thing about pushups is that the only reason i do knee pushups is because i was in a accident 3 yrs ago and i hurt my left arm and thus my left arm is very weak - i never knew that i should have worked it out or anything - doctors didn't tell me anything - thats why i have to do the knee pushups because my right arm is ok but my left arm is the messed up one - nowadays i can only do 20 knee pushups before my my left arm starts to give and thanks for the reply
                      You may want to consider getting rehab for a short period of time - three years seems like a long time to have not regained a good deal of strength in your arm. Even if you were not working out, there are many everyday things we do (picking up and/or lifting heavy boxes/kids/bags/furniture etc.) - that I would have thought that once the injury had healed the difference in strength between your arms would decrease.

I badly injured my foot 5 months ago, and after the cast came off I focused a lot on trying to get my cardio base back to where it was prior to the injury. Within just a short period of time I could swim, bike, row, stair climb comfortably and without pain. But there were things I still couldn't do - like walking downstairs properly (I'd have to take the stairs one at a time like a little kid), and walking in general without pain.

When I finally relented and went to rehab I found out that there were also other things I couldn't do - like walking on my toes, and balancing on the injured foot, and heel raises, and moving my foot out and in towards and away from the midline of my body - ankle strength, proprioception, balance and range of motion were all weak.

Even though I have been exercising forever, there were things they showed me that helped with those areas I was still experiencing problems with. I didn't have to go for long, 'cause once I knew what to work on and how to work on it, I could do it by myself. Unfortunately I still have some work to do with this foot, but going to rehab was definately worth the effort.

Something to consider anyway - they may be able to help you with specific exercises (or help with identifying why your strength has not increased significantly over the past 3 years).
                      Last edited by krj; 04-08-2005, 10:11 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17742 users online. 483 members and 17259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X