300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying people at the gym

The thread by Kirch (sp?) got me thinking about all the people who annoy or amuse me for various reasons at the gym. This is mostly for fun, but these things do get to me in varying degrees lol. I'll list a few, but please feel free to add your own as well.

1. Locker room crotch watcher / man troller. There's always at least one guy in the locker room who insists on walking around butt naked, except for the towel hanging around his neck (instead of tied around his waist) who insists on trying to engage you in small talk (if he succeeds, he'll walk over to you and put one leg up on the bench you're setting on, putting you right at eye level with somewhere you dont want to be), or who watches you intently while you're trying to change. Oddly enough, he's usually there when you get to the gym, and is still hanging out in the locker room when you're ready to leave. Hey, I could care less if you're gay or straight, but I come to the gym to work out... not to pick up men or to fulfill some secret exhibitionist fantasy. Quit leering at me and cover yourself up already.

2. Big guy in little clothes. Is there a rule written somewhere that states "The larger you get, the more effeminetly you shall dress"??? Why do these big, roided up guys insist on wearing flourescent, lavender, spagetti strapped tank tops with plunging necklines paired with tiger striped biker shorts? It's like a desperate cry for attention. "Look at me! See how huge I am?" Meanwhile Their lack of clothing means they leave sweat all over. I have to clean up any equipment I want to use after they leave.

3. The shadowboxer/Kata guy. He can be seen throwing sloppy, ineffective looking punches & kicks, or doing kata in the mirrors between every set he does on the weights.

4. The screamers. These guys grunt, groan & scream more than women in labor. If you need to do all of that to get the weight up, maybe you should take a little off the bar? Just a thought. It doesn't make you look hardcore or intense, it just makes you annoying.

5. Gymbos. Women who come into the gym wearing outfits that would make a Hooter's waitress blush. Although they may be attractive... rarely are they as attractive as they'd like to think they are. It's as if they think that if they bare enough of their @$$ that no one will notice their facial deficiencies. The funniest thing about them is that you will often hear them complaining about some guys staring at them. Maybe if you weren't wearing a sports bra and a thong, you wouldn't get this (ahem) "unwanted" attention.

6. Squat rack curler. Please do not tie up one of the only three squat racks in the gym because you're too lazy to bend down between sets of curls. There are preset barbells on racks specifically for bicep curls... use them and leave the squat racks for people who are working legs today.

7. The fitness authority. They will run over to you, offering unsolicited advice on how you're doing everything wrong and will show you "better ways to do that." If you were a certified personal trainer, I might be inclined to listen to you, but you're some guy who's been coming for about as long as me, but you dont look any better than when you started. Why should I believe anything you have to say on this subject?

8. Gym bullies. The spandex wearing, roided out beefcake guys who try to bully everyone else in the gym. They try to stare you down, or outright bully you off of equipment that you're using because they want it now. Not everyone fears you because you are 6' tall and 290lbs ok? Either ask to work in with me, or wait your turn, but stop with the tough guy crap. I deal with "tough guys" on the job every day and am not impressed by your mean mugging me.

9. Dumbell hogs. These people grab several sets of dumbells (20lbs - 40lbs for example) and monopolize them for days while they do pyramids, drop sets, or whatever. You could be doing this on a machine instead. All you'd have to do is move the pin one space between sets, but instead you selfishly tie up half of the gym's dumbells.

10. Sac dryers. These guys are the absolute worst! These are the inconsiderate clowns you see immediately upon entering the locker room, standing naked in front of the hair dryers, blow drying their nether regions. Dont they have any consideration for the rest of the world??? The mere thought of inhaling another man's floating pubes is disgusting. Use a towel to dry off with for God's sake. What's wrong with you???

I know I'm not the only one. Let's hear some more.
    Last edited by Hardhead; 04-07-2005, 01:15 PM.

hahaha! this thread made my day... very funny stuff!

Comment

Hardhead, I like your style.

I can ignore all types that you mentioned. The only ones that really **** me off are the inconsiderate a-holes that leave their machines/mats/whatever in a pool of nasty-*** sweat. Not a big fan of other people's sweat.....

Comment

Its times like this when I'm so happy the Detachment has its own gym.

Comment

It's times like this I'm happy I do most of my working out outdoors.

Comment

beautifully written!! I agree with that entire list. The naked guy with the leg up on the bench is always like 78 years old too...I just got out of an awkward conversation with one in fact. I hate when you go to the gym to get a good work out in and the guy next to you, who has been there for two hours and not touched a weight, is either trying to hit on some girl or is talking on his cell phone. My rules for the gym.
            1. No cell phones.
            2. No pants, seriouly no jeans.
            3. No construction boots, we all see that you're roided up you don't have to where construction boots to make us think that you're manly.
            4. Don't talk to me unless you're asking to work in, I don't care what you boss did today.
            5. Just lift, no rituals... if you pull a Nomar Garciapara before every lift you need to go home.
            6. Don't try to shake my hand or pat me on the back in the shower...it's just wierd.
            7 No peeing in the shower, i don't care about what you say about your athletes foot or not, save it for home
            8 Women are allowed to use the womens only room during the busiest times of the day, if not can I?
            "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

- The guy that sits down at a piece of equipment, does a set, stays there for his rest period of a few minutes, does another set, rests, etc. I know you think that for your $35 a month you own the place, but I've been paying the same amount for 12 years. By that philosophy I should own half the equipment in the place. So get off my damn machine!

- Those people who are either so comfortable with or so completely unaware of their body image that they wear clothing that is completely inappropriate. I do not want to see an overweight grandmotherly sort in tights with a thong leotard. Nor do I care to view the lower half of some trucker-looking guy's beer belly hanging out below his too-small 'Let's F**K!' t-shirt.

- Now that my new club has a decent basketball court, I've noticed an influx of health club homies. I don't care about your race, cultural group, socio-economic status or ethnic background, just don't come to the gym in baggy shorts down to your shins and an Orlando Magic shirt that would have been big on Shaq. And the stupid-*** ballcap.

- The Judgers. When I do my cardio work, I like to read a magazine so I don't get bored. This isn't the time I want to dive into Scientific American. I want light, entertaining fluff to take my mind off the fact that I'm hot, sweaty and my legs hurt. So don't roll your eyes when I stroll up to the stairstepper or elliptical with my issue of Stuff, FHM or Maxim tucked under my arm. If I wanted that treatement I'd work out at home.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I think what annoys me most is the guys who are doing some kind of super sets and using 6 different pieces of equipment at once and then look at you funny when you grab one of HIS machines. As far as the rest of the list goes, very funny and very true!!!
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I used to manage a very ritzy healthclub and served as the owner's right hand man. This guy was as goofy as they come! He had his own comic book based on the club and superheroes he invented...the leader of which was, of course, himself. My character was "Both Barrels"...My arms were bigger back then and I served as security in addition to my management duties.

He was generally harmless and I felt bad for him...but they pay was good and the club was really cool. Like something you'd expect in Las Vegas.

One day I go into his office to ask a question...

...the lights were off...and out of the shadows I am surprised by....

BATMAN!

He was in a full replica Batman suit (the old style)!

I went home and typed my letter of resignation.

Shortly after that the club went out of business.

Comment

Hardhead you are a genious.
                    I just got out of the military and let me tell you, as far as your comment on the crotch watcher / man troller type. Military retirees love to strut around the base gym locker rooms bare and strike up conversations about there days in the service. Now, I totally respect these folks for serving our great country, but please cover your self while talking about your war stories.

How about the guys that do not wear towels while in the sauna, and like to sit with legs wide open directly in front of you, in your line of site while reading the daily paper and then of course like to ask you of your opinion on the days current events. I am a firm believer of towel usage while in the sauna, and I like to relax while in there...that means I do not want to talk or help you in completing todays crossword puzzle.
                    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Vendetta
                      How about the guys that do not wear towels while in the sauna, and like to sit with legs wide open directly in front of you, in your line of site while reading the daily paper and then of course like to ask you of your opinion on the days current events. I am a firm believer of towel usage while in the sauna, and I like to relax while in there...that means I do not want to talk or help you in completing todays crossword puzzle.
                      I saw a variation of this today. This freak was lying flat on his back, legs up and spread, facing the door. So the first thing you saw was crack & sac. WTF???

My gym just had the sauna installed and I went to go look at it. I doubt I'll ever go in there now. Seriously.

Comment

Maybe the gym could post some rules on gazers and towel ussage. I am glad to report I haven't seen most of that stuff happen but maybe it is because I work out at 4 in the morning so only the really serious guys are there.
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Great list. The only thing I would like to add is the guy that does inclines or flies with 50 pound dumbells, grunts and groans to the point of anurism, and drops them about 3 feet of the floor. That makes alot of racket and can't be good for the floor or the dumbells.
                          "The bravest are surely those who know exactly what lies before them, glory and danger alike, yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it"

Comment

I hate people who park their *** on a machine and stay there for a half and hour and won't even let you work in(old people and high school kids)

But what I hate the very most are old people who insist on the gym radio being on their station, even when they're in the room. The other day in the "power room" we had some pretty hard crap playing when one old person decides that she has to do her one set of arm curls in the power room instead of the other part of the gym. Well she comlains, the music gets changed to oldies, and she leaves after one set. When the music got changed back she complained because she might decide to do something else in the power room. Maybe

Comment

That's why I broke down and finally got an MP3 player. They are getting smaller and lighter and sounding better every 6 days it seems like. I've been real happy with that investment ever since.
                              "The bravest are surely those who know exactly what lies before them, glory and danger alike, yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3055 users online. 153 members and 2902 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X