300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticked off at my health club

OK, I'll admit that, in the general scope of the world, this doesn't exactly rank up there with ethnic cleansing or suicide bombing. But I'm rather irked with my health club and I'd like to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Here's the story.

I've belonged to my health club for well over 10 years. Less than a year ago, they moved to a new location. The facility is MUCH larger and nicer than the old.

At the old location, they had a sparring bag (maybe also called a 'heavy bag'?) in a back corner. Once I got through my DAT training in the academy, I incorporated some punchy-kicky stuff on the bag as part of my regular workout to keep myself ready for the big rumble, should it ever come.

When the club moved, they didn't hang the bag. I figured they were busy with getting the new club up and running and hadn't had time to get around to it. But after a few weeks, I finally saw the GM and asked him about it. He said the owners had decided not to hang the bag. But he advised me that there was another similar bag in an aerobics room and I could use that.

The replacement bag was on a pedestal. I preferred the hanging bag, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. The other issue I had with it is that I felt a little weird going into the aerobics room and thumping away on the bag while an aerobics class was in session. So I would only use it when no class was going on.

Then one day I found the door to the aerobics room locked. I went to the desk and found out too much stuff had gone missing from the unattended room, so it was being locked when not in use. I explained my situation and asked if someone could unlock it for me. The wouldn't do that. Then I offered to leave my driver's license or even a deposit at the desk if I could get the keys to open it up myself. No go.

A couple more weeks passed and I was getting really frustrated that I could see that bag in there getting no use whatsoever when I really wanted to bang on it. So I approached the staff again and asked if there was a chance they could move the bag to a more accessible area of the club. I even identified myself as a police officer and gave the reason why it was important for me to have access to the bag. They had me put in a written request.

A couple of days later, I followed up. I was told that the decision was made not to move the bag. The excuse I was given was 'noise issues'. WTF? Joe Steroids can be over in the corner grunting like he's trying to pass a bowling ball so the whole club can hear, and they're worried about some occasional use of a punching bag? C'mon.

It just irritates the hell out of me. Especially because the 'noise' excuse seems so flimsy. Personally, I think it's because they're trying to cater to the 'health club' crowd and something like a boxing bag makes the place seem too much like a 'gym'.

Suggestions? Right now, I'm considering getting my own. But that means doing it at home, which I'd rather not do. I mean, that's why I pay my $35 a month to belong to a health club -- so I don't have to do this stuff at home.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Originally posted by kirch
    Personally, I think it's because they're trying to cater to the 'health club' crowd and something like a boxing bag makes the place seem too much like a 'gym'.
    Kirch I think you're right on that one.

They're actually missing the boat a bit if that's the case though 'cause boxing "classes" (not the tae bo stuff, but actual boxing training for women) are a big thing right now.

Anyway, if there are others that you know in the gym who like to hit the bag have them also talk to management and put in a written request (nothing gets a business' attention more than numbers).

I used to work at Y's and a good number of them have a "health club" membership in addition to the general membership. The health club membership (of course) had bonuses - and one of them included having a workout area actually in the locker rooms (that way members could workout in privacy, not have to wait for equipment on the workout floor etc.). Is something like that an option at your place?

The other option is to ask them to lock their stuff up in the aerobics room - there's storage containers and boxes available to hold all that kind of stuff so people don't walk off with it.

But my guess is, is that if you are the only one who really misses the bag you are probably just SOL.

Comment

How you been fellas?

Depends what kinda gym it is, meaning whether it's a chain gym or owned by an actual living, breathing person who doesn't want to lose members over something so stupid. The irony is that the typical gym ********* would LOVE the bag in the aerobics room, because now he GETS to make a spectacle of his manly self in front of the girls. Meanwhile, Kirch waits patiently while it's still unclear whether it's just a matter of time until they put the bag up, instead of demanding it immediately the first day he needs it.

If you can find the person who actually gives a **** about losing a member, there's a good chance you can come up with SOME way to accommodate all parties' interests, such as by authorizing you to access the room when it's not being used, or moving the bag to somewhere appropriate. You could even offer to buy the f---in' thing if they really don't plan on using it at all. Not as much to actually do it, but to highlight how dopey it is to insist on having it in the gym (if they refuse to sell it, that is) while refusing let anybody use it, simultaneously.

If you're prepared to leave over it, you can straight up ask him if he really considers it business-wise to lose a long-term member in good standing over it. I recently joined a gym near my job, right? Beautiful place and super quiet, even at "peak" hours. Bart's gonna reach for the hand sanitizer just READING this, but there's some mental defective there who uses the small towels the gym provides to wipe sweat of the machines to snot into...over and over and over. Then he drapes his snot rag on the dumbbell rack and the other stuff.

At first, the management was "helpful" and "asked" him not to do it, but he wouldn't stop. Eventually I was alone with him in the dumbbell area and just asked him to do me the "personal favor" of keeping his snot rag off the equipment. Now, he only does it when I'm not around, and when he thinks I can't see him from where I am.

The management told me they "asked him" but they didn't want to lose his membership over it, so I found the owner and told him they didn't have that choice, because they couldn't keep BOTH of us. I told him to simply decide whether he preferred to keep the mental defective or the PITA who complains and terminate whichever of us he preferred (with the appropriate pro-rata refund, in my case, as I'd done nothing wrong, and we could always just let the Health Dept decide whether it was a breach of contract on their part or mine). Last time we talked his "cancellation letter is in the works..." but I'm waiting to see what happens.

Don't expect the idiots at the desk to be able to (or care to) figure out a solution, but if you figure out a few options that incorporate everybody's concerns, there's a good chance the person who cares about keeping members will agree to some solution, especially if you make it clear that you're ready to walk if they express no interest in working something out.

Edit: Just got home from the gym...the mental defective is history.
      Last edited by ProWriter; 04-05-2005, 06:49 PM.
      No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by krj

They're actually missing the boat a bit if that's the case though 'cause boxing "classes" (not the tae bo stuff, but actual boxing training for women) are a big thing right now.

There is a class at my gym called "Body Combat" that is real popular. Lots of punching and kicking and stuff. Tends to draw a nice crowd
        "The bravest are surely those who know exactly what lies before them, glory and danger alike, yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it"

Comment

Thanks for some good ideas.

Unfortunately, no private area to work out.

It's not part of a big chain, but they're the largest health club in our area.

I've thought about making an offer to purchase the bag for exactly the reasons that were suggested.

I've got another year on my membership and I'd rather try to single-handedly negotiate peace in the Middle East than work my way out of a health club contract.

I agree, I've got to talk to the GM again.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I've got another year on my membership and I'd rather try to single-handedly negotiate peace in the Middle East than work my way out of a health club contract.
            Kirch, it ain't necessarily that difficult; I did it once when my 24-hr gym suddenly switched to normal hours. Took'em to small claims court and argued that it was a material change in the contract terms, because "OPEN 24 HOURS" was right there on the contract. Usually, gyms play up anything they have in their flyers and whatnot: so, a single heavy bag becomes "Our state-of-the-art Boxing Area" in the flyers. If you can find some promo stuf that features that bag or references "boxing," sue 'em for breach of contract by virtue of material change to the specific advertised feature in their literature that lured you in. If you actually do it, the judge will ask them why they're not willing to accommodate a reasonable request for access, and you're likely to get either a key to the area OR your contract cancelled with a pro-rata refund.
            No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Kirch,

you stated that you thought about buying one for your home. Why not do that? That would allow you to work out on the bag anytime you wanted to or needed to. The heavy bag is a gret way to relieve stress after a grueling day, or when you are having one of those days that just don't seem to end.

You would have the best of both worlds. You keep your membership with the health club, using their equipment and workout areas for the major part of your fitness plan, and you get to do your bag workout whenever you want. Besides, if you have a significant other, maybe you can get her to workout on the bag also, if she doesn't already, doubling your use of it. You can help teach her to spar with the bag and improve both of your health.

Flyman1

Comment

...I finally saw the GM...

...So I approached the staff again...
                I think you found two good alternatives to the bag.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

The gym I belong to took their bags down because too many idiots were injuring themselves on them lol. Too bad, because I used to get great entertainment from watching all the psuedo tough guys wailing away ineffectively in hopes of impressing the chicks in the area.

I think you should consider buying a bag for your home. If you dont want your whole house rattling from the heavy bag, I'd suggest a double end bag. You can find tons of boxing gear at www.ringside.com

I've spent literally thousands on their products and I've got no complaints about their service. Buy the Ringside vs the Contender products though. They are higher quality. (A contender double end bag would probably hold up fine for home use though)

Comment

The local YMCA here took some of the 45 lb plates out of the gym so that guys couldn't put any weight on the leg press. They then took the squat rack out after guys were seen actually squating in it.

My current gym is in transition because it caters to power lifters and high school athletes but aerobics and all the stuff that old people and women like are what sells memberships so we'll see if our heavy bag, chains, etc survive the move to a better location.
                    Last edited by JRT6; 04-07-2005, 06:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8315 users online. 181 members and 8134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X