Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was stolen from another message board I frequent. Thanks to PEACE at 911jobfoums.com.

"First, you are only going to get better by doing more of them. That's the prime directive.

I do 4 types of pushups in my routine: Spider pushups (feet shoulder width apart, hands out a bit further), Seal pushups (feet shoulder width apart, hands forming a diamond at your sternum), Inclined pushups (feet on a chair, hands out further than shoulders), and Standard pushups (feet together, hands at shoulders or just in). Do a set of each type, then a set of crunches, then the next type, repeat until objective reached (see tallies below).

Start small - do 15 of each type for 2 full evolutions (that's 120 pushups). If this is too easy, click it up to 20 reps per type for 2 evolutions.

Once you get up to 40 to 50 per type, you'll be able to 60 or more in one bang for the PFT.

Now here's the part where I get flamed, so watch closely, I do this 5 days a week.

Not enough time to recover, blah, blah ... It works and it will for you so long as you eat right, and start slow enough that you don't injure yourself. You gotta convince your boddy that it is a new day and that more is expected than before."

Maybe this will help

Comment

Thanks for the advice all.

Comment

I sometimes train doing, what I call, the ironman. I take a shuffled deck of cards, and turn the first one over. Do the number of pushups it shows. Turn the next card etc...Removing jokers and counting aces as 15, you will have done 400 pushups by the end. A buddy and I used to do this every other day. It really helps. To help endurance, I also limited time between each car. Let's say for instance I pull a 9. I do nine pushups, then rest for 9 seconds. I then turn the next card and so on..

We got to where we had two decks, I would turn one from mine and while I was doing pushups, he was doing situps, then he would turn one from his deck.

It's a method that has stuck with me for several years.
        If it weren't for the poeple, the general public would be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mtxpro752
          I went to the fire supply store and got a training vest, it has slot on it and about 30 small weights on it that can be added or removed as needed, it's to simulate wearing all their equipment, i wore it while running and push ups, doesn't work for sit ups. If you use that thing for a while when doing push ups then do push ups w/o it it almost feels like you aren't even trying, huge difference pretty quickly.
          I agree with you mtxpro752. There is no substitute for adding weight to your push-up routine. Wear a fanny pack or back pack loaded down with weights, sandbags, or even rocks to add the resistance desired for the work out. I nearly doubled my push-up output in 3 weeks by using this training method.

Fordfreak

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak
            I agree with you mtxpro752. There is no substitute for adding weight to your push-up routine. Wear a fanny pack or back pack loaded down with weights, sandbags, or even rocks to add the resistance desired for the work out. I nearly doubled my push-up output in 3 weeks by using this training method.

Fordfreak
            That is wierd. I have never done that, I just don't care for it. I am up to about 110 pushups right now.

FYI - My pushups don't go up when I am lifting. They actually go down if I don't do them a couple times a week (along with lifting weights).

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
              That is wierd. I have never done that, I just don't care for it. I am up to about 110 pushups right now.

FYI - My pushups don't go up when I am lifting. They actually go down if I don't do them a couple times a week (along with lifting weights).
              You get the same range of motion and muscle isolation when you add weight to your push-up routine, as opposed to possibly using different muscle groups when just lifting weights. By doing push-ups with extra weight youll be training the exact muscle groups needed to build push-up stamina.

Fordfreak

Comment

I was stuck at 25 pushups in a set for a long time. What helped me was when we had to do them on every break at the academy. Suddenly I was in the mid 30s. You might try doing a set every hour, instead of just a short break.

Good luck!
                Elaine

Comment

Another good tip is to try to do a ridiculous ammount of pushups.

Sometimes while stationed overseas, I would try to do 1200 pushups in a 12 hour shift.

I had to do 24 sets of 50 pushups, a set every half hour to get my goal.

Try something like that, maybe for 8 hours (if you can do it at work) with sets of 25 or 30 or whatever.

You will be sore the next day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17319 users online. 437 members and 16882 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X