300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gall bladder operation

So yesterday after work, I get this horrible pain, after 4 hours I go to the doctors and they send me to the ER. Find out that I need to have my gall bladder removed and have to talk to a surgeon about it on Apr 8. Couple questions for anyone who's had the operation.

Pre-op: Did you continue to exercise? I dont want to take a couple week break and lose motivation for going to the gym. If you did keep working out, did you change your workout regime?

Post-op: I figure I can do some light exercise until I fully recover. What kinds of foods do you avoid now? Anything special that you now do or foods to eat to help replace what the gall bladder did? How's it effect your job performance if at all?

I'll be doing research on it tonight, so any experience ya'll have is appreciated.
    Liberalism is a mental disorder
    -Resistance implies Guilt-

I had the laproscopic (sp) surgery about 6 years ago. I was in and out the same day with only three very small, hardly noticeable scars on my abdomen. You are a bit sore but it's not really that bad, they'll give you some percs but I only needed them that day.I could have returned to work in about 1- 2 weeks but I milked it a bit.

They may put you on anti biotics because they don't want to work on an infected GB at the time of your surgery.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

much obliged, did you change anything in your diet to help break down fats? I've pretty much gotten rid of the bad fats from my diet now, sticking to mono and poly based fats to lose weight anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Mraughh
        much obliged, did you change anything in your diet to help break down fats? I've pretty much gotten rid of the bad fats from my diet now, sticking to mono and poly based fats to lose weight anyways.
        Mraughh, I researched some info for you, I hope this kinda help for your after-surgery/recovery.

http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/857.html
        http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/archive/257.html (diet advice - after surgery)
        http://www.dietitian.com/gallblad.html (diet advice - after surgery)
        http://health.allrefer.com/health/ga...llbladder.html (nice visual for better understanding)

Good Speed!
        "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

much obliged. I'll check those out.

Comment

Sorry to hear it man, surgery is not fun. I have been through it myself once, not the same situation, but none-the-less surgery. Hope it all goes smoothly; well as smoothly as surgery can go I guess.
            Stay Safe!!

Comment

yeah me too, other than a tonsilectomy this is my first time under the knife. Not worried about the actual surgery, but what it'll be like down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Mraughh
                yeah me too, other than a tonsilectomy this is my first time under the knife. Not worried about the actual surgery, but what it'll be like down the road.

It meant nothing for me personally "down the road". I did not have to alter anything diet or exercise wise. In fact it took your post to remind me I had the procedure.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I had mine removed 10 or so years ago.

Pre-op: Avoid fatty foods (sounds like you know this already) and spicy foods. One of my worst attacks was after I had a huge meal at Taco Bell. I use a minimum of 3 Fire sauces on each item. I was in some serious pain that night.

Post-op: I went back to work at a bulk mailing company about 2 days after surgery. i ate pretty much what ever i wanted.

I actually have the laprascopic surgey on tape at home somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by richjorg
                    I had mine removed 10 or so years ago.

Pre-op: Avoid fatty foods (sounds like you know this already) and spicy foods. One of my worst attacks was after I had a huge meal at Taco Bell. I use a minimum of 3 Fire sauces on each item. I was in some serious pain that night.

Post-op: I went back to work at a bulk mailing company about 2 days after surgery. i ate pretty much what ever i wanted.

I actually have the laprascopic surgey on tape at home somewhere.

THREE fire sauce packets , maaann. I thought I liked spicy foods.
                    Stay Safe!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRICKCOP
                      ..... I did not have to alter anything diet or exercise wise. In fact it took your post to remind me I had the procedure.
                      Same here, although I did ease off on the Ulster Fry or Irish Breakfast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_fry
                      Last edited by JohnKelly; 03-17-2005, 09:01 AM. Reason: Inserted URL

Comment

Bah, I really miss eating spicy food *sigh*

Its pretty weird what would set me off on these attacks too. Miller Lite, drank one of those and that did it, but other beers wouldnt. Certain types of cold cuts, stuff like that. Go in for my eval with the surgeon on Apr 8th. So just biding my time now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10775 users online. 393 members and 10382 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X