300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Physical Testing

Every year in August our department makes us redo our physical agility testing. A 1.5 mile run / one minute situps and pushups / sit and reach.
    If you pass everything you get a free day off, to be taken at your leisure. If you dont pass you are required to redo the test until you pass or/ are written up.

Does anyone else have to retest every year, It really keeps me honest and training hard? Specially after putting on my Winter FAT!
    Retired 02/01/13

We take a PT test every year, but it is real hard to fail. In fact, I do not know that anybody has ever failed. I believe in maintaining some basic PT standards, but I also feel strongly that if a departments is concerned about PT standards to the point of disciplining officers who do not measure up then they should compensate officers for working out.

Comment

I just did mine March 1st of this year and every year on this date.

Comment

We used to have to pass a physical fitness test each year. As an incentive, you got an extra $130 per month in your paycheck for the next 12 months if you passed. Failure was another story. If you were hired prior to the start date of this program but couldn't pass, you simply didn't get the $130. However, if you were hired after the start date of the program and failed, not only didn't you not get the extra money, but you eventually got fired.

The concept was that by maintaining a high degree of physical fitness we could lower workers comp costs through fewer injuries from fights & foot chases, less hypertension & heart injuries (which are presumed to be work related out here), etc. It was thought that the workers comp costs we saved by doing this would more than overshadow the cost of the program. Boy were we wrong!

It turned out most officers did little to maintain fitness 10 months out of the year and then tried to quickly get in shape the last two months prior to testing. This resulted in all sorts of training injuries. The workers comp costs of these injuries alone far exceeded any savings the Department gained by keeping its people in shape.

The program was quietly abolished a few years ago. Everyone had one last chance to pass. If they did, they got $130 extra a month for the rest of their careers. If they failed, nothing happened to them.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

not mandatory, however we worked under a pay for performance deal where you get X amount of points for different things, and if you got say 80+ points you would get 2.5% pay raise for that year. If you had less points you got a lower %. the PT test was worth 25 points.
          Liberalism is a mental disorder
          -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

The Department I am applying for does this twice a year...

Comment

Personal Responsibility

I'm not sure yet if the department I'm trying to get in to run an annual PT test, I still to find out. However, I see and meet a lot of the officers workout in the same gym I work out, and they're all appears in good shape, of course, there are some that are kinda out of weight and out of shape, but majority are taking the initiative to do their part.

IMHO, keeping yourself in shape all-year-round is a personal responsibiliy not just to yourself, but also, to your fellow officers out there who are depending on you. You go run, lift weights, and get in tip-top shape for your fellow officers and for yourself (and because your life might depends on it), and not because there's a few dollars incentive. Unfortunately, only a few take that initiave to keep in shape.
              "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Consider yourself lucky. At my department I have guys that couldn't get over a basic backyard chainlink fence. Trying to move to a dept. that gives incentives for completing PT standards.

Comment

We had it then dropped it because the union refused to allow punishment for test failure. It used to be if you passed you got a reward but now it's just dropped because of cost of medical screening. Contrary to what many people think, case law clearly allows a fitness test to be implemented even for incumbants as long there is a "fair transitionatory period". The next in line for chief is thinking about just that but the current chief would fail the physical so those who would fail whatever standard, fair or arbitrary, are safe for now.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                    If they did, they got $130 extra a month for the rest of their careers.
                    Not too shabby!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12892 users online. 345 members and 12547 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X