300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push ups and situps everyday

I was basically wondering can you do push ups and situps everyday or will you just wind up getting hurt or overtraining your muscles? I am testing with an agency in a couple weeks, so I am just trying to do the best that I can, but I don't want to end up getting hurt. Thank you for the replies.
    Chris

I run on my days off, I bike, and hit the gym on my days off. Durin my days I work, I get enuf running or movement at work. It's always good to be in shape, you will have annual physical due.

Comment

well all I can go on is the Armys philosopy. You do upper body every other day to give the muscles time to rest and rebuild, but stomach can be done every day and you can run every day too since you use those muscles constantly. Not sure about lifting with leg muscles if they would need a rest or not though.
      Liberalism is a mental disorder
      -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

Giving muscles a chance to rest, recuperate, and rebuild isn't just an Army PT philosophy; it's a fundamental resistance exercise principle. Your body could also adapt to (over)training everyday if that's how you want to prepare for grueling missions, but it's not the most effective thing for normal training purposes.

Legs are no different; train all your body parts with rest days in-between, and try to group your workouts so that complementary muscles also rest on the same days as primary muscles (e.g. same rest days for chest/shoulders/triceps and back/biceps and legs/lower back) to whatever extent possible. You should also avoid training biceps the day before back and triceps the day before chest or shoulders, for the same reason.

It's not necessary to do abs every day, but the theory is that abs and calves "can" be trained daily, because they're both used so much. Running every day also seems unnecessarily stressful for your body unless you're training for some specific type of mission requiring that type of physical exertion.

If your training goal is to pass a LE fitness test, just train sensibly (i.e. pushups 2-3x/wk) and run about the same. If you need a lot of work on pushups, let me know and I'll send you the routine that's already helped a couple of successful recruits on here.
        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
          Giving muscles a chance to rest, recuperate, and rebuild isn't just an Army PT philosophy; it's a fundamental resistance exercise principle. Your body could also adapt to (over)training everyday if that's how you want to prepare for grueling missions, but it's not the most effective thing for normal training purposes.

Legs are no different; train all your body parts with rest days in-between, and try to group your workouts so that complementary muscles also rest on the same days as primary muscles (e.g. same rest days for chest/shoulders/triceps and back/biceps and legs/lower back) to whatever extent possible. You should also avoid training biceps the day before back and triceps the day before chest or shoulders, for the same reason.

It's not necessary to do abs every day, but the theory is that abs and calves "can" be trained daily, because they're both used so much. Running every day also seems unnecessarily stressful for your body unless you're training for some specific type of mission requiring that type of physical exertion.

If your training goal is to pass a LE fitness test, just train sensibly (i.e. pushups 2-3x/wk) and run about the same. If you need a lot of work on pushups, let me know and I'll send you the routine that's already helped a couple of successful recruits on here.
          I do! Please! I'm NOT at my pushup goal! I can do all the girlie ones just fine, but it's been so long since I've really done any that the military syle ones are hard for me and I only have 2 months to get really ready!

Comment

You can do push ups and situps everyday as long as you do not overstress your muscles while doing it... I started doing 50 pushups and 50 situps every night before I go to bed, and have done it pretty religiously for the last 10 years or so, initially you probably won't be able to do 50 in one set, so break it up between a couple of sets... Or select a lower number 30-40 whatever fits your fitness level.... By doing this I always knew that I'd be able to do at least 50 push ups and 50 situps, whenever needed (like for the Army's APFT), even if due too whatever reason (deployment, field time) I could not work in a good training program. It worked for me, and it worked for the majority of the soldiers I was in charge of. Everyone is built different, so this may not work with you. Just go with what your body tells you, or get in touch with ProWriter, it sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

On a side note, 2 months is more then enough time to build your self up, you just have to be diligent, stick with your training program and always push yourself toward your goal. This means not taking a day off if its not your off day!

Anyways good luck!

"You have to test your self everyday men!"

Comment

Everyone supplied great info. I have to emphasize resting your muscles. That's when they get stronger. I say this because of what I experienced.

Me and my buddy tested for the same department. We train together as well.
              We did pushups, situps, pullups, and ran together. I tried to emphasize getting enough sleep and just plan resting from training to rebuild your body. He didn't listen. I took two straight days off from training before our testing day. He didn't take my advice to do the same. Guess Who failed? You are right...He did..not me. I aced the test with no problems. He failed in the begining with the situps. Through all our training he made the minimum qualifications. But when the test day came he couldn't perform. No rest!
              The instructors looked impressed at the way I went through the test. I didn't miss a beat. I also had the second best time in the run because I got lazy in the end and started to walk a little,because I knew I had passed already. I had on my own stop watch. Whatever you do Get Rest, rest, Rest.
              My buddy registered for the test again and took my advice this time. He rested well before the test. What happened this time? He passed. Rest is very important.

Oh, and make sure you are getting enough food to fuel your training. You need food, like a car needs gas.
              Last edited by IronKing; 03-10-2005, 12:16 PM.
              Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Comment

Originally posted by tk0727
                I do! Please! I'm NOT at my pushup goal! I can do all the girlie ones just fine, but it's been so long since I've really done any that the military syle ones are hard for me and I only have 2 months to get really ready!
                No prob tk...I'll have to find it on my home pc this weekend, but Skwashie might still have it more readily available, too.
                No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Hey PW, I wouldn't mind seeing that either iff'n ya don't mind.
                  Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
                    No prob tk...I'll have to find it on my home pc this weekend, but Skwashie might still have it more readily available, too.

YES, please Prowriter, that would be great if you could post a push up routine for us! I am with TK0727 on this one. Very little upper body strength. I used to be able to do finger-tip push ups in high school (about 12 years ago). Right now I can do the girlie ones but I am struggling w/the full push up. Any advise would be very much appreciated!! Ive been looking around the sight but really havent found anything.

Thanks very much!
                    I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Comment

PUSHUPS

There

Comment

Thank you for posting this ProWriter!!
                        Stay Safe!!

Comment

Jim Rice was the most feared power hitter in baseball during the late 70's-early 80's, and remains the only person to ever hit a baseball onto the Mass Turnpike from Fenway Park during a regular season game (Jimmie Foxx also did, but the Turnpike didn't exist then).

He never lifted a weight in his life. His only training was running, push-ups, and sit-ups. His quote was "If you have to lift weights to compete, it's already over".

I'm hoping that this steroid controversy will finally get Jim into the Hall of Fame, where he belongs.
                          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Noticed that he played for Boston his whole career...that's pretty cool.
                            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Pro...you're the best.

I started doing as many (girlie) pushups as I could do . Then rest a little bit, then do some more. I figured that would help get the strengh building up.
                              At this moment, I thought I was going to die on the 6th 'REAL' pushup!

Thanks for posting different suggestions!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14743 users online. 400 members and 14343 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X