Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More running questions

Hi

I have a question to go out to those of you who are distance runners. I ran in high school, but that was all sprinting and hurdles. I never had to actually run more than a short distance. So right now, I am dying trying to get my 1.5 mile under control. My goal is 2 minutes/ 1/4 mile, that should give me some buffer time. The IL POWER test has the 1.5 mile at 15 minutes. I would like to do 12 just in case of a cramp or untied shoe lace. I started running again 2 weeks ago. 1st with just a 1/4 mile then up to 1/2. Now I run, more like slow jog, 1 mile w/o being winded. I found that the 1 breath per 2 steps really helps. If I dont do this, then I fatigue almost immediately. So my question is, how do I speed up my running? Do I still use this breathing technique or is there another trick when you need to move faster?

Right now, I need to cut my mile time in half. The other question is, should I add on the other 1/2 mile for a total of 1.5 at my slow jog pace or should I concentrate on getting the mile in 7 minutes and then add on the other 1/2 mile once I can run quickly?

Thanks so much for your help!!
    I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

interval training can help.. or hill workouts (which fatigue you quickly).

intervals: can be anything that you feel comfortable with. I love ladders, as they keep things interesting: 100 hard - 50 jog - 200 hard - 100 jog - 300 hard - 150 jog - 400 hard - 200 jog - 400 hard - 200 jog - 300 hard - 150 jog - 200 hard - 100 jog -100 hard - jog

or if you have a good sledding hill nearby, do a 1-2 mile warm-up, followed by hills (I won't give a number - go by how you feel: when you feel like you can't do one more hill, you know you have 2 left ) then do a mile to cool down.

also something to consider: perhaps after your run (I assume you are on a track if you are saying "quarter mile," etc) go to the infield/football field and run some sprints. It's an easy way to build up a little "speed" endurance...

build into the sprints, and run through the finish (so you are building the entire time, topping out about 75 yards into the sprint).

I do this 10 times after each workout to keep my "speed," but since you have more of a sprinter, you might can do more.

edit #1: adjust these to suit you... I don't want you to try these and get totally burned out. If going up to 400m in the ladder is a little much yet, just go up to 200m, and maybe go "up-and-down" the ladder a couple times. Or lets say you are burned after a mile and 1 hile, push yoursself to do 2 hills total, but making them both tough as nails. Hill workouts can make you VERY mentally tough if you can own them. Don't let the stupid dirt-filled hill beat you. Get mad at it as you run up.

edit #2: Also, since you have just started running again only two weeks ago, your body is still getting used to it. The BEST way to up your time is to stay consistant, and eventually in your runs you'll feel more energized and just know at that point you need to speed things up to compensate for your increasing fitness level.
    Last edited by Callistobass; 03-07-2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Callistobass, for the most part, you can also add in some distance intervals, run 2 miles, but do it this way, get warmed up for the first 1/8 - 1/4 mile, then sprint for 50 yards then return to a slow jog for 50 yards, sprint 50 yards, and repeat until your finished with your route. Its a bit easier to do on a 1/8 mile track, sprint half, jog half......

Something else I'd suggest would be to quit worrying about your 1 or 1/4 mile time and worry about your 1.5 mile time. Run the distance that you are trying to work up too. I can run 2 miles on an average of 14 minutes (13:40ish on a good day, 14:15 on a bad one), but the thing is that I generally hit the first mile at about 8 minutes, and I pick up on the second mile, it just takes me that first mile to "warm/loosen up".

Work up a good schedule that you can run and stick to it work in some of the things that Callistobass suggested or try my distance intervals, but a couple times a week run 1.5 miles like you were taking your POWER test for real, its the only real way judge your progress. After the first couple of weeks you should start and see an improvement.

Good luck!

Comment

thanks to both of you for the insight.
        I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17671 users online. 461 members and 17210 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X