300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running questions

I'm in the hiring process and am working on getting ready for the academy. I've been hitting the treadmills at the gym... yes, I know it's not the same thing as really running, but I feel that I need to build up a decent level first, so I don't die in 15 minutes outside

Once I get warmed up and going, I don't really feel like I'm losing my breath. What slows me down and stops me is my lower back... I won't say I feel pain, but more of a tiredness in that area. Once I slow to a walk, I recover very quickly. What could cause this, and what can I do to overcome it?

Also, I know a lot of people make a really huge deal over the shoes. I went down to Big 5 and got a pair of new Nike Something-Or-Others to wear instead of my ancient, beat-up walking-around tennies But is there a real benefit in going to a particular place where the people (supposedly) know all about shoes and paying $100+ for them? I do have a little pain in my feet, and I suspect that may be from having worn the same damn shoes until they practically rot off of my feet. It makes sense to me that shoes would "wear out", and if so, the old ones are done.

Originally posted by jnojr
    I'm in the hiring process and am working on getting ready for the academy. I've been hitting the treadmills at the gym... yes, I know it's not the same thing as really running, but I feel that I need to build up a decent level first, so I don't die in 15 minutes outside

Once I get warmed up and going, I don't really feel like I'm losing my breath. What slows me down and stops me is my lower back... I won't say I feel pain, but more of a tiredness in that area. Once I slow to a walk, I recover very quickly. What could cause this, and what can I do to overcome it?

Also, I know a lot of people make a really huge deal over the shoes. I went down to Big 5 and got a pair of new Nike Something-Or-Others to wear instead of my ancient, beat-up walking-around tennies But is there a real benefit in going to a particular place where the people (supposedly) know all about shoes and paying $100+ for them? I do have a little pain in my feet, and I suspect that may be from having worn the same damn shoes until they practically rot off of my feet. It makes sense to me that shoes would "wear out", and if so, the old ones are done.
    you think maybe your back muscles just aren't used to it yet?
    And how much core exercise do you do? The stonger your stomach muscles, the less back pain you'll have. So I've been told. Not exactly an expert, but that's what I've always heard.
    My problem is running out of breath. : )

Comment

Factors to consider:

-You don't necessarily need top-of-the-line shoes, but you do need shoes designed specifically for running, rather than cross-trainers or basketball/tennis shoes, etc. Any shoe catalogue will list them by category and most boxes also have some sort of chart indicating what that model is for. $40 running shoes would be a lot better than $150 Nike basketball shoes.

-Your back problems could be a function of your running posture (too bent over), your shoes, tight hamstrings, or nothing specific to running at all. You may just have a lower back issue that's sensitive to the stresses of running.

-New runners often come up off the surface way too high on each stride, greatly magnifying the force load per square inch on each vertebra. You shouldn't be more than a few inches off the ground/treadmill.

-Treadmill is fine for starting out, but there's no comparison, so at some point, you'd better transition to hard surface, at least periodically, if only to gauge your progress from treadmill training.

I'm sure KRJ and others will have more to add.

Good luck
      No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

The problem with your back might also be due to the fact that your spine is compressing with every stride.. like the poster before me said, core exercises will help this.

"backwards crunches" - either using a machine specifically for this, a Roman Bench ( )
        or my favorite.. my ottoman - will help a lot, but be careful doing these, gradually building up strength

As for shoes.. I used to be a manager of a "Mall" shoe store... don't trust those jerks (there are good, helpful people, but the vast majority are on some sort of commision and will have alterior motives).. I also used to run in college, and worked with a athletic shoe wear-test center... from what I have learned: sure people can suggest shoes for you and you'll have some success with this, but YOU will eventually have to figure out "okay, this particular shoe (not brand, but specific shoe) worked really well for me, now what are other shoes out there that are similar, but can offer me more?"

Shoe companies are just like car companies. Each brand has VERY similar shoes at all different levels. For example, I know that since I love Nike Air Pegasus shoes, I will most likely love the Asics Cumulous, and the New Balance 827/828 series as well because they are the same type of shoe... all use super-soft foam padding, are really flexible, and have similar inserts in the midsole (Nike=air, Asics=gel, NB=gel/foam).

Adidias and Nike run more narrow, but some of their shoes come in widths.. most of the time you'll have to ask (or go to a specialty store), and New Balance and asics run wider.. the average shoe width is a "d" for men, so take it from there.

I can answer tons of shoe questions.. when I was a manager at the shoe store, and later when I helped at the wear-test center, I took pride in my shoe knowledge and getting people in the right shoes.. even if it meant my commision check was smaller, or even if I refered people to a different, more specific store.

Comment

OK, I have a question for other girls........
          Sports bra's. Short of duck tape, I haven't found a comfortable way to run.
          a few years ago, I found a good sports bra at Dillard's. But it was like $65.
          I have looked and looked and have not been able to find one in my size that actually supports.....any suggestions?
          And I'm actually being serious on this one. I have a fairly large chest and it's a pain in the butt to find regular bra's, let alone sports bra's that will actually hold everything in.........I used to ducktape around my chest. So far, that's the best I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by tk0727

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
              -You don't necessarily need top-of-the-line shoes, but you do need shoes designed specifically for running, rather than cross-trainers or basketball/tennis shoes, etc. Any shoe catalogue will list them by category and most boxes also have some sort of chart indicating what that model is for. $40 running shoes would be a lot better than $150 Nike basketball shoes.
              OK, sounds reasonable. I did buy shoes that were billed as running shoes.

-Your back problems could be a function of your running posture (too bent over), your shoes, tight hamstrings, or nothing specific to running at all. You may just have a lower back issue that's sensitive to the stresses of running.
              Between this and tx0727s post, I'll spend some more time on the back rotator and reverse situp machine. Hopefully that's the answer...

-New runners often come up off the surface way too high on each stride, greatly magnifying the force load per square inch on each vertebra. You shouldn't be more than a few inches off the ground/treadmill.
              I don't think I'm getting up too high. I'll pay attention next time and see...

-Treadmill is fine for starting out, but there's no comparison, so at some point, you'd better transition to hard surface, at least periodically, if only to gauge your progress from treadmill training.
              Yeah, I keep hearing that. I need to find a place to run. That's such a PITA, since the gym is about a mile from my place... a three minute drive or 20 minute easy walk

Thanks all!

Comment

a few years ago, I found a good sports bra at Dillard's. But it was like $65.
                I have looked and looked and have not been able to find one in my size that actually supports.....any suggestions?
                And I'm actually being serious on this one. I have a fairly large chest and it's a pain in the butt to find regular bra's, let alone sports bra's that will actually hold everything in.........I used to ducktape around my chest. So far, that's the best I've found.

Check out Title 9 sports I wear the superman bra and it seems to work fairly well for larger busted women. I use it for running cycling and duty. It does tend to run a little small so you might want to order a size larger. I have also tried the answer to your prayers bra but was more inpressed with the superman model.
                Last edited by TRichie; 03-02-2005, 11:43 PM.

Comment

i would suggest stretching prior to the work out to help with the back pains. start off slow and increase distance and time...

try underarmor, it's a very tight fitting, slightly stretchable shirt (much like a t shirt) that helps wick away moisture (hot days) and keep warmth in (cold days) and i suppose the shirt fits, it can help hold down the fort so to speak (hey, i'm a guy...)... the shirt is much like a compression shirt....

you see this type of shirt in all type of sports, men and women, they make a half shirt for women, a long sleeve, short sleeve, shorts, briefs, socks and all that. Walmart sells their brand of underarmor and works just as good.
                  ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                  -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by TRichie
                    Check out Title 9 sports I wear the superman bra and it seems to work fairly well for larger busted women. I use it for running cycling and duty. It does tend to run a little small so you might want to order a size larger. I have also tried the answer to your prayers bra but was more inpressed with the superman model.

Hey, thanks! The superman bra actually looks like the one I was talking about that I USED to have! And they have my size. Hard to find in most dept stores. Again, thanks! I was being totally serious when I asked, so I'm thankful for the serious answer

Comment

Can't really add too much to what's already been written - could be any number of things causing your back problem. Take a good look at the possibilities mentioned - lack of core strength, problems with running posture and an existing condition that is aggravated only when you run. It doesn't sound like you are in pain, just tired - and my guess would be that working on strength gains through the back, abs and chest will help a lot.

Some people just have a very difficult time with running (even with consistant training) and if you find that that is the case with you, I wouldn't make it my primary cardio activity. Train to the standard (ie. run enough to be able to meet the academy entrance requirement) and complement your cardio training with other activities that don't bother your back so much.

I disagree with your statement re: treadmill running ("yes, I know it's not the same thing as really running"). There are distinct advantages to running on a treadmill (even though I feel like a gerbil on one of those damn wheels they run on in their cages when I hit the treadmill) - cardio and leg conditioning, pace and incline settings, being able to run in inclement weather etc. It's still running.

ProWriter is correct though - when you're training to meet a certain requirement (entrance academy) eventually you will want to try to replicate test-day conditions as much as possible (which in most cases is a track and outside).

Final thought - not only keep your feet low to the ground (to minimize impact forces), but also try shortening your stride. Doing this will also help to minimize impact and will increase your foot turnover (number of steps you take each minute). Another advantage to doing this could be faster run times.

Thoughts re: sports bras
                      I was also going to suggest Title IX - they're a bit expensive, but it's the only place I know of off-hand that make sports bras specifically for large-breasted women. They are also the only distributer that I know of that rates all of their sports bras (by activity and the amount of support available for each).

Two other suggestions to consider:

1. Buy a sports bra one size smaller than what you would normally buy (there's a "squish" factor involved in doing this, but that's pretty much the case for sports bras in general anyway)

2. I've seen many female runners wearing two sports bras at the same time for additional support
                      Last edited by krj; 03-04-2005, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Somebody had to go there, eh?

Comment

1. Buy a sports bra one size smaller than what you would normally buy (there's a "squish" factor involved in doing this, but that's pretty much the case for sports bras in general anyway)

2. I've seen many female runners wearing two sports bras at the same time for additional support

I've worn two sports bras before.
                          Also , can't really get any smaller around than I already wear. They fit pretty snug, though
                          I wear 32DD now, and 32 is as small around as you can get, but, the title 9 had some that looked like they'd be pretty good.

and question... smaller strides will help your time? never heard that one, but I'm not necessarily a runner, either. I am just getting back into it myself.

Comment

and question... smaller strides will help your time? never heard that one, but I'm not necessarily a runner, either. I am just getting back into it myself.
                            Shorter strides = faster leg turnover = increased running efficiency, less energy expended, more frequent push-offs from the ground, more frequent arm turnovers = faster times

Comment

Originally posted by krj
                              Shorter strides = faster leg turnover = increased running efficiency, less energy expended, more frequent push-offs from the ground, more frequent arm turnovers = faster times
                              cool, thanks. that's good to know.
                              Now if I can get my breathing straight

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5201 users online. 369 members and 4832 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X