• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tk0727
    cool, thanks. that's good to know.
    Now if I can get my breathing straight
    Try rhythmic breathing!

You can use whatever variation works for you, but I use 2x2 breathing.

Two steps (breathing in) x Two steps (breathing out)

Comment

[QUOTE=Callistobass]Try rhythmic breathing!

You can use whatever variation works for you, but I use 2x2 breathing.

Two steps (breathing in) x Two steps (breathing out)
      He's awful cute but how'd I get his shirt on, I had too much TEQUILA last night!

Comment

thanks......I haven't ran in a long time. but gotta get stared soon.! only 3 months til the adacemy

3 months is plenty of time... so worries! Just so long as you are consistant, you'll be improving your endurance in NO time

Comment

Originally posted by Callistobass
          3 months is plenty of time... so worries! Just so long as you are consistant, you'll be improving your endurance in NO time

thanks for all your help

Comment

I wear 32DD now

That's gotta be tough running. Fun to watch though from a male standpoint (No offense meant)
            Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
            --------------------
            This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSix5

That's gotta be tough running. Fun to watch though from a male standpoint (No offense meant)
              It really is a pain in the *****...I'd almost just as soon be a c cup. But I've been this size since I was about a sophomore. So nothing I can do.
              It's also a pain riding horses.
              I'm sure it's funny from a male's point of view, though. no offense taken.

Comment

Lots of good info here, one thing I'd like to add to shoe selection is match your type of foot to the type of shoe.... I.E. I have a really high arch so I need to buy Neutral shoes.... This will make a world of difference in preventing shin, knee or knee pain. If you go to a good shoe/sporting goods store, they should have them marked this way. If not shop around on line.

Here is a good link about arch type, how to find yours, and what type of shoe to buy......

http://www.offnrunningsports.com/sho...s/choosing.htm

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jnojr
                  I'm in the hiring process and am working on getting ready for the academy. I've been hitting the treadmills at the gym... yes, I know it's not the same thing as really running, but I feel that I need to build up a decent level first, so I don't die in 15 minutes outside

Once I get warmed up and going, I don't really feel like I'm losing my breath. What slows me down and stops me is my lower back... I won't say I feel pain, but more of a tiredness in that area. Once I slow to a walk, I recover very quickly. What could cause this, and what can I do to overcome it?

Also, I know a lot of people make a really huge deal over the shoes. I went down to Big 5 and got a pair of new Nike Something-Or-Others to wear instead of my ancient, beat-up walking-around tennies But is there a real benefit in going to a particular place where the people (supposedly) know all about shoes and paying $100+ for them? I do have a little pain in my feet, and I suspect that may be from having worn the same damn shoes until they practically rot off of my feet. It makes sense to me that shoes would "wear out", and if so, the old ones are done.
                  The one thing that I do that tends to help me, is that I have two different brands of running shoes. Nike and NB. The Nike's are broken in pretty well, but the New Balance ones are new. Even so, I wear one brand one day when running and then the other shoe the next day. It just helps so if my foot isnt fitting perfectly in the shoe, it gets a break the next day when I wear the other brand since each manuf. makes their shoes a little differently. Hope this suggestion helps ya.

Oh, by the way. Both shoes are specifically for running, not cross training, tennis, nor walking. You dont have to spend a lot on a good pair of shoes, especially if you are doing a lot of running because they want you to replace them every few months because of the wear. The Nikes were about $75.00 and the NB's were $35.00 at a discount store (TJ Maxx).
                  I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinegal
                    The one thing that I do that tends to help me, is that I have two different brands of running shoes. Nike and NB. The Nike's are broken in pretty well, but the New Balance ones are new. Even so, I wear one brand one day when running and then the other shoe the next day. It just helps so if my foot isnt fitting perfectly in the shoe, it gets a break the next day when I wear the other brand since each manuf. makes their shoes a little differently. Hope this suggestion helps ya.

Oh, by the way. Both shoes are specifically for running, not cross training, tennis, nor walking. You dont have to spend a lot on a good pair of shoes, especially if you are doing a lot of running because they want you to replace them every few months because of the wear. The Nikes were about $75.00 and the NB's were $35.00 at a discount store (TJ Maxx).
                    GREAT POST! I do the same thing with my running shoes... rotation helps them last longer, too.

Comment

I saw your post and it seems you have received some good advice all around. I encounter your type of situation quite often. I have been a Physical Training Instructor at my local police academy for 5 years now. My advice to new cadets regarding running shoes is this. Make sure you get a good pair of RUNNING shoes. Not crosstrainers, not basketball shoes, not tennis shoes but running shoes. You can get a decent pair of shoes without spending over $100. Buy them from a store that has people knowledgable about running. Make sure you buy the right type of shoe for the type of runner you are. There are 3 basic types of runners: neutral runners, those that supinate and those that pronate. You should try to find someone who can watch you run and tell you what kind of stride you have and then shop for a pair of shoes that are for that type of runner. If you buy shoes that are the wrong type then you might as well be running in your boots. You will eventually start to have problems.

Regarding your back pain I would initally suggest, as have others, strengthening your abs and stretching. This can eliminate alot of problems. If its not pain just tired achey muscles I would tell you what I tell my cadets....Just deal with it. Before you will be able to elevate your level of fitness you are going to have to get out of your comfort zone when you exercise. You always need to push yourself. When you run and start to get winded or tired, you need to push through that and go a little farther. Your body is capable of doing things that your mind would rather it didn't do. I've run 2 marathons and know first hand how your mind messes with you. Hope you find this helpful. Good Luck.

www.runnersworld.com has a lot of good stuff on shoes and running injuries you may want to check out.

Comment

To all of you trying to get in shape for the academy or staying in shape for the job.

http://crossfit.com/ This site is free.

With this program you do a wide variety of exercises which helps with your balance, coordination, strength and endurance.

Florida Highway Patrol and the Colorado State Patrol use it at their academy for training cadets. I am sure their are other agencies. Elite military units and martial artists use this system. It works and its fun because it constantly changes.

This program can be done with any fitness level.
                        Last edited by USAcop; 03-18-2005, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                          To all of you trying to get in shape for the academy or staying in shape for the job.

http://crossfit.com/ This site is free.

With this program you do a wide variety of exercises which helps with your balance, coordination, strength and endurance.

Florida Highway Patrol and the Colorado State Patrol use it at their academy for training cadets. I am sure their are other agencies. Elite military units and martial artists use this system. It works and its fun because it constantly changes.
                          thank you for that site!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6444 users online. 446 members and 5998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X