300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowflex

I've thought about buying one later on, anyone own one? whats your opinion of it for use at home compared to going to the gym? My consideration for buying one is saving time instead of driving to the gym. Or is it just collecting dust somewhere? lol.
    Liberalism is a mental disorder
    -Resistance implies Guilt-

I've got one. I like it a lot. It's quite different from free weights or weight machines though. And even if you get the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles, I'm sure you'll still find something that you can do at the gym that you can't do with the bowflex.

I swear by the resistance training though. People can't usually bench as much on the bowflex as they can with free weights. It's convient and folds up pretty nice for storage, and it's a piece of cake to pull out and set up. If you're seriously considering it, I suggest you send away for the informational video packet thing(i'm pretty sure they're still doing that) and check out to see if what can be done jives with what you're looking to do.

Hope this helps.
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

much obliged, it has.

Comment

Not a big fan of bowflex, sister has one, can't get enough resistance on it for some exercises
        We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mraughh
          I've thought about buying one later on, anyone own one? whats your opinion of it for use at home compared to going to the gym? My consideration for buying one is saving time instead of driving to the gym. Or is it just collecting dust somewhere? lol.
          I've never used a Bowflex, so can't comment on the machine directly. The only thing I'll say about home equipment is that it DOES save time and money - but only IF you'll use it. The vast majority of home exercise equipment pieces either become dust collectors or expensive clothes racks.

Many people go to the gym because of the variety of equipment, the social aspects attached to working out, and they're motivated by the atmosphere. People who work out regularly at home don't need those things - they're already highly motivated.

If you're already physically active on a regular basis and truly want to save money and time then a Bowflex may be a good option.

But if you're just getting back into a fitness program, you may want to think about joining a gym short term (3 months - or day passes) until you figure out whether or not you can stick with the program. You may want to also consider buying free weights at first (you can buy them and benches for cheap - often used). Once you're sure that you can (and will) exercise regularly at home, think about buying more expensive equipment if you like.

The above is just my opinion - but I hate seeing people fork out big bucks for stuff they don't use. And frankly, your muscles don't know (and don't care) if you worked out with a shiny new expensive Bowflex, or a beat up set of dumbells and a ripped up bench that you bought for 20 bucks at a yard sale.
          Last edited by krj; 02-28-2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I purchased a Bowflex about 6 months ago. no complaints about it. However, like all home exercise equipment, it collects a lot of dust, I have not used it in around 6 weeks. I keep telling myself that I will get back into the habit of using it.

$1100 clothes rack!!

Comment

Originally posted by krj
              I've never used a Bowflex, so can't comment on the machine directly. The only thing I'll say about home equipment is that it DOES save time and money - but only IF you'll use it. The vast majority of home exercise equipment pieces either become dust collectors or expensive clothes racks.

Many people go to the gym because of the variety of equipment, the social aspects attached to working out, and they're motivated by the atmosphere. People who work out regularly at home don't need those things - they're already highly motivated.

If you're already physically active on a regular basis and truly want to save money and time then a Bowflex may be a good option.

But if you're just getting back into a fitness program, you may want to think about joining a gym short term (3 months - or day passes) until you figure out whether or not you can stick with the program. You may want to also consider buying free weights at first (you can buy them and benches for cheap - often used). Once you're sure that you can (and will) exercise regularly at home, think about buying more expensive equipment if you like.

The above is just my opinion - but I hate seeing people fork out big bucks for stuff they don't use. And frankly, your muscles don't know (and don't care) if you worked out with a shiny new expensive Bowflex, or a beat up set of dumbells and a ripped up bench that you bought for 20 bucks at a yard sale.
              Yep I know what you mean. I go to the gym right now for workouts. The problem I run into there besides the commute, is working the regular gym machines once I get over a certain weight for lifting, it really starts aggravating old injuries. I've never used the resistance machines and I thought that they might make a difference in that aspect. I had to switch to eliptical machines for my cardio workout, since the stair climbers and treadmills play havoc on my knees. I'm looking at possibly making a purchase of a bowflex in about 6 months or so. I want to get back into the routine of working out and I figure 6 months at the gym will get me set to then switch to working out at home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18586 users online. 504 members and 18082 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X