300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training, training, training

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I am in the hiring process for the Kansas City Kansas Police Department. If I get through the process, then the academy starts in June. I am about 20 lbs overweight. I am a woman trying to fit in a man's world. From what I've heard so far, it's more of a military setting for the first 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions as to the best way to prepare? Besides the obvious of start running 2 miles a day, and sit ups/pull ups....anyone recently out of an academy?

Originally posted by tk0727
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]I am in the hiring process for the Kansas City Kansas Police Department. If I get through the process, then the academy starts in June. I am about 20 lbs overweight. I am a woman trying to fit in a man's world. From what I've heard so far, it's more of a military setting for the first 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions as to the best way to prepare? Besides the obvious of start running 2 miles a day, and sit ups/pull ups....anyone recently out of an academy?
    You have 3-4 months to get yourself in good enough shape to hold your own at the academy. That's enough time if you are dedicated and motivated. Your time at the academy will continue to improve upon your fitness level.

You've got the right idea - run, situps, pullups, pushups, run some more.

If you haven't been active for a while and are just re-starting a fitness program, don't run everyday. You'll be sore as hell, and will set yourself up for injuries. Commit to some combination of walking and running 4 times a week. Do the strength training (pushups/situps/etc.) either on the same day or alternate days. Build a couple of days into your week where you either do nothing (so you can rest) or you have light workout days.

Take a look through the old threads - there's a lot of information re: nutrition, weight loss, strength and cardio training, running specific training, injury prevention etc. If you have specific questions just ask.

Don't worry about the "woman fitting into a man's world" thing. Just worry about getting into the best shape you can, before you walk through the academy doors - they'll teach you everything else you need to know. Good luck.

Comment

thanks alot. I appreciate it. And I have to admit, I've been sitting behind a desk for quite awhile now and getting pretty lazy with the workouts. Just need to get motivated and get back into it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19113 users online. 495 members and 18618 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X