300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Cholesterol

I recently discovered that my cholesterol is a little high, not much. I would much rather bring it down through healthier diet than take medications for it. What are the best ways to reduce cholesterol through better diet?

Exercise and a balanced, healthy diet. Plenty of exercise. Reduce fatty meats and substitute vegetable oils for animal fats. Olive oils and Omega 3's (read salmon) are essential fats. Crisco and butter are not.

These changes worked for me in about six weeks.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matt. 5:9

Comment

Cut down on your sugar intake

Comment

Breads and pastas bring down your cholesterol, though I realize there fattening. Just makes sure you take them down before 3:00pm.
        Stay Safe!!

Comment

Eat some raw onions

Comment

Originally posted by FonzieDog
            I recently discovered that my cholesterol is a little high, not much. I would much rather bring it down through healthier diet than take medications for it. What are the best ways to reduce cholesterol through better diet?
            I am in the same boat as you are..however I get mine from my Parents...thank them very much! I am in the best shape of my life and eat well, but I do have to take meds and the best so far for me only being 26...yeah 26 is Zocor, once a day. Plus I am watching what I eat more now these days as well.I have no side effects from this so I feel it is a good medication to lower it. Hope you get it lowered
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

LDL (low density lipoproteins) cholesterol (the "bad cholesterol"), can be lowered through a combination of:

a) exercise

b) weight loss

c) decreasing the overall consumption of fat in your diet (from all sources)

d) consuming more monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats in your diet (the plant based fats that stay in liquid form at room temperature eg. corn oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, sunflower seed oil) - as opposed to saturated fats (butter, margarine, lard etc. that remain hard at room temperature)

You would also greatly benefit from eliminating as many processed foods as possible, and by changing to a largely plant/grain based diet.
              Last edited by krj; 02-22-2005, 12:17 AM.

Comment

After my Heart Attack in 2003 I was put on a diet by my Dr. and Lipitor. My Cho. was at 171 total when I had the attack . My last blood test showed a total of 133 with a HDL of 40 and a LDL of 69. I am lucky my wife is a Emergency Room Nurse with over 32 year's exp. and she TELL'S ME WHAT I CAN EAT. I argued with her once about food and after the swelling went down I was able to see what I was eating again. LOL

Comment

I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I just found out I had high cholesterol after a recent doctor visit. I was shocked, I thought that was only for fat, out of shape people who eat at McDonald's all the time. I'm 6'2", 195 lbs, I don't eat fatty foods, and have chosen healthier alternatives such as wheat pasta, fruits and nuts, oatmeal, etc. for many years. Unfortunately, my dad, who is 5'9", 140 lbs has high cholesterol and is dependent upon medicine. I really don't want to have to take medicine because I am afraid of side effects. Does anyone else have any experience with side effects from the various cholesterol medicines? The thins already mentioned were very helpful.
                  "I have tried to live my life so that my family will love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."
                  -John Wayne

Comment

Take fish oil capsules as well, not only do they help control your cholesterol, but research indicates that it also helps speed up your metabolism, thus helping weight loss
                    It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Comment

Hey Ranger 55
                      No it is not just fat people that eat at Mickey D's all the time. I had my heart attack at the age of 57 ,I am 6 ' tall and 200 lbs. I had 23 years on the S.W.A.T. team and could bench up to 300 lbs. and could do a 7 min. mile even after 2 major knee operations. I had been retired for 10 years so I don't think it was stress induced.

Comment

FonzieDog, I agree about exercise, which is the quickest answer comes to mind, so I'm not gonna beat a dead horse.

However, why not enjoy yourself while while reducing your cholesterol? I would suggest drink a glass or two of red wine (and only up to TWO glasses! you can do this everyday, as long as you're not over-indulging yourself), every one who knows about wine, that wine is a natural medicine because of the acids in it, also it helps clean your system. If you're not a wine drinker, a nice green tea. Eat fish, since natural fish oils are good for your body ( when I was stationed in Japan, my regular diet of seaweeds and sushi kept me in good shape). Skin-less chicken, use olive oil in cooking (you have a snack of Italian bread and make a dipping sauce of olive oil and a low fat cheese) - good stuff! And don't forget some nice sautee'd ****aki mushrooms and steamed rice (gotta have my rice, what can I say I'm Asian! ).

Have plenty of rest! get yourself used to a regular schedule of hitting the bed. Regular eating skeds, and spread-out your eating habits - meaning never let yourself go hungry, keep your metabolism active and going. Eat a nice hearty breakfast (your metabolism is the most active in the morning), have a nice snack in-between like granola bars or the little tuna pack and oysters - a nice lunch - same again with a nice snack in-between before a light dinner. You keep doing this and your cholesterol will go back to a healthy level and maybe lose some weight in the process.

I'm not promising you anything, but I'm just passing some things that kept in shape throughout the years. Good Luck!

PS. Sorry, it just happens that I love wine and ports.
                        A little link for you about wine: http://www.intowine.com/health.html
                        "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Found out tonight that nuts are also good to eat, they are high in the mono and poly fats. Just remember peanuts are legumes and not true nuts
                          Oh and high cholesterol can be genetic so if you are thin and have it, that may be why. My dads got high C so I've been doing some research into it lol.
                          Liberalism is a mental disorder
                          -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8824 users online. 249 members and 8575 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X