300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to ask

this. But I will ask it here and as "Ask a Cop". Just in case. If I can.

I need to know what kind of running shoes you guys/gals wear when you are running ( to train and just in general). I have shoes but they are just for wearing to work.

Anyone have any suggestions for running shoes that can be used for also working out at the gym.

Thanks,

Jen
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

If all your doing is lifting and regular cardio then any mid priced sport shoe such as a cross trainer will work fine. It dosen't really matter; my powerlifting friends wear flat soled wrestling shoes. Just be sure the shoe fits. If your going to do any type of running then I would invest in a fitted running shoe. Too much chance of injury running in the wrong shoes.

I just got me a pair of the new New Balance 766 stability runners. Very light and very nice. D width fits my narrow feet well and the shoes work great with my orthotics. I may never go back to aesics.

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe
      this. But I will ask it here and as "Ask a Cop". Just in case. If I can.

I need to know what kind of running shoes you guys/gals wear when you are running ( to train and just in general). I have shoes but they are just for wearing to work.

Anyone have any suggestions for running shoes that can be used for also working out at the gym.

Thanks,

Jen
      Jen, since you're in Cali, you should have a Fleet Feet store reasonably close by.

The clerks at Fleet Feet are usually relatively accomplished runners. They'll evaluate your running gait, measure your feet properly, assess your training program and get you the best shoe for YOU. Some dude working at Big 5 has no idea what kind of shoe you need, just what he has to sell.

Also, it's pretty dangerous to weight train in running shoes, as they offer no side-to-side stability, only front-to-back. A good crosstrainer will work for you on the treadmill, in aerobics class and in the weightroom.
      *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by JRT6
        If all your doing is lifting and regular cardio then any mid priced sport shoe such as a cross trainer will work fine. It dosen't really matter; my powerlifting friends wear flat soled wrestling shoes. Just be sure the shoe fits. If your going to do any type of running then I would invest in a fitted running shoe. Too much chance of injury running in the wrong shoes.

I just got me a pair of the new New Balance 766 stability runners. Very light and very nice. D width fits my narrow feet well and the shoes work great with my orthotics. I may never go back to aesics.

Yeah,I just asked my bf what he uses when he works out. He told me about New Balance also.

Thank you.

Jen
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
          Jen, since you're in Cali, you should have a Fleet Feet store reasonably close by.

The clerks at Fleet Feet are usually relatively accomplished runners. They'll evaluate your running gait, measure your feet properly, assess your training program and get you the best shoe for YOU. Some dude working at Big 5 has no idea what kind of shoe you need, just what he has to sell.

Also, it's pretty dangerous to weight train in running shoes, as they offer no side-to-side stability, only front-to-back. A good crosstrainer will work for you on the treadmill, in aerobics class and in the weightroom.

What the heck is a "Fleet Feet"... I have never heard of that store before. I will do a search on the net for it though.

Sounds interesting... Thank you for the tip Malibu.

Jen

Comment

For running, buy running shoes, not regular tennis shoes. Addidas and New Balance are the best reasonably priced brands. Nike sucks. Nike will tear most people up if they do any serious running (been doing it for 11 years now).

For mat work (DT) buy some wrestling shoes.

For your gym workout, buy some regular ol' tennis shoes, or just use your running shoes if you don't want to buy more shoes!

The most important thing about running shoes is to buy what fits your feet and feet / leg design the best (I forgot the technical term for this). The $120 pair isn't necessarily better than the $50 pair. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and have them fit you. The guy at the sporting goods store probably doesn't know running like running folks do.
            MAC

Comment

Adidas . Only kind I've found that dont cause shin splints, and fully support my feet without causing pain.

Comment

Originally posted by rudegyal
                Adidas . Only kind I've found that dont cause shin splints, and fully support my feet without causing pain.
                I wear adidas, but aisics, new balance, and saucony are good brands too. It all comes down to trial and error and personal preference.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

The new Nike Shocks work great! A little pricey, but whicked comfortable, and now I dont have a problem with shin splints anymore.

Plus you can still ware them in the in gym, or as your daily shoe...

I like um...

Comment

I just got the new Nike Shox 2:45.... pricey, but the best running shoe I've ever worn, maybe the best shoe period.
                    "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

Also, it's pretty dangerous to weight train in running shoes, as they offer no side-to-side stability, only front-to-back. .
                      How so? The definition of "stability" or "motion control" running shoes are shoes with side stability for those who pronate and/ or suponate(feet roll to side). The vast majority of weight training is either sitting on a machine or bench or standing still. The only time I can't wear running shoes is while training legs and then I either wear wrestling shoes or trail shoes. Cross trainers are for very low milage running only.
                      Last edited by JRT6; 02-21-2005, 11:16 AM.

Comment

How so? The definition of "stability" or "motion control" running shoes are shoes with side stability for those who pronate and/ or suponate(feet roll to side). The vast majority of weight training is either sitting on a machine or bench or standing still. The only time I can't wear running shoes is while training legs and then I either wear wrestling shoes or trail shoes. Cross trainers are for very low milage running only.
                        You're talking about arch support and sole stability, I'm talking about ankle support. And while using machines alone won't cause you to roll your ankle, If you do any 'real' weight training, like deadlifts or squats, you'd be better of barefoot. BaseballBabe also talked about the gym in general, not just lifting, so I assumed she might want to wear them to an aerobics class or on an elliptical machine.
                        *Not a cop*

Comment

Agree with JRT on the above.

With regard to specific brands/types of running shoes: most of the major shoe brands have a huge (very huge) array of lines of running shoes that focus on a large number of variables - your weight, your gait (how your foot impacts with the ground), the surfaces you run on (road vs trails etc.), high mileage vs low mileage etc.

Go into a store that specializes in running shoes. If it's a good store the salepeople can point you in the right direction based on all of the above listed variables.

Try on a few pairs and run around the store for a while to see how they feel (good stores will allow you to test drive their stuff before you buy it).

Just remember that these guys ARE salepeople - with quotas they gotta meet, inventory they gotta move etc. So really test out the shoes well before you buy (you can also make a decision in the store re: brand and specific model and then buy them online - don't forget to look for last year's model of the same shoe online - cheaper usually).

As you can tell by the responses here, everyone has their favorite brands that just seem to WORK for them. I am also partial to New Balance shoes (although the best trail runners I've ever owned came from Salomon). Adidas shoes just plain hurt my wide feet.

So you can't really just ask people what brand of shoes they like - because THEIR feet aren't YOUR feet (their mileage is different, their weight is different, their biomechanical idiosyncracies are different - and those same shoes will wear and feel different on them than they do on YOU).

You just gotta try 'em out and see how they work for you (an inexact science for sure) - but the first few pairs you buy may very well be trial and error until you finally hit on the shoe that fits you perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by mac266
                            For running, buy running shoes, not regular tennis shoes. Addidas and New Balance are the best reasonably priced brands. Nike sucks. Nike will tear most people up if they do any serious running (been doing it for 11 years now).
                            I have to disagree.. I was a "serious" runner - 70-120 miles per week - (in college), and not so serious now (25-40 miles a week) and ALL I wear are Nikes... you just have to know which Nike shoes are "style" and which are for function. My Nike Pegasus are simply fantastic shoes (I am now on my 15th pair!), while any Adidas shoes I ahve ever owned have ripped up my feet something awful -

moral: try different brands, because everyone has different foot needs.

the advice of "go to a reputable running store" is GOLD! Don't go to footlocker or foot action, or any of those mall stores.. look in the yellow pages or do a google search for a running-specialized store.. it'll be worth the drive

Comment

You're talking about arch support and sole stability, I'm talking about ankle support. And while using machines alone won't cause you to roll your ankle, If you do any 'real' weight training, like deadlifts or squats, you'd be better of barefoot. BaseballBabe also talked about the gym in general, not just lifting, so I assumed she might want to wear them to an aerobics class or on an elliptical machine.
                              Malibu - I've known a fair number of people who wear running shoes during aerobics classes as well as while using cardio machines. And I agree - I don't think that it's a good idea to wear running shoes during aerobics classes because of the wide variety of directional changes and pivot movements that are usually built into the choreography of these classes.

Running shoes are designed specifically to move in one plane and because there aren't the same directional changes required while working out on an elliptical/treadmill/stairclimber, my concern would be less.

But (IMO) if anyone is lifting weight so heavy that rolling their ankle is a real and legitimate concern, then they are lifting too heavy for their current fitness level and lifting competancy. I'd be more concerned about back injuries from squats and deadlifts than ankle injuries because I'm wearing running shoes instead of cross trainers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14596 users online. 284 members and 14312 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X