300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plantar fasciitis

I have been on here for a while now and I take a lot from reading the posts that are left here. Recently I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. The podiatrist that I am going to was able to show me through x-rays where I have developed a heel spur on my left foot, and how my arch seemed to be collapsing on that foot. He gave me a couple of stretches to do, gave me some anti-inflammitory meds, and took molds of my feet for arch supports. My question is, has anyone here had this problem and what did you do to get the symptoms to go away? The stretches that he gave me help some, and I don't like taking meds so I don't take them (They are part of the Cox-2 inhibitors that cause the extra medical problems). I don't have the arch supports yet, and he told me that if they don't work that cortisone injections are the next step. I would like to avoid that if possible. The dr. told me to keep up my workout regimine, but I am going to be going to the academy in the next year and I would like to have some idea of how to have this problem solved by then. The academy runs somewhat more than I do currently with runs of up to six miles.

Covman454

I'm not sure if my sister has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis but I know she has had major problems with her knees and feet. I referred her to a good podiatrist (the perks of working in the medical field!) and he had her molded for arch supports. She has had them for about a year now and they seem to have worked miracles for her. The down side, she has to wear them almost constantly otherwise her problems flare up again. Good luck with the arch supports when you get them, hopefully they will save you from the cortisone.

Comment

when I was a sophomore in college, I got plantar fasciitis... Running 70+ miles a week, I probably had every nagging injury in the book!

while mine never got so severe as to get a bone spur (I feel for you, I know how painful it is without a spur!), it was still a "season-ending" injury in terms I couldn't keep up with my normal training regimen.

My only advice is to LET IT HEAL! Do those stretches! rest it. Ice it when it is sore and after workouts.

I wanted to point out that I too was fitted for orthodics, but my experience with them was horribly negative.

they were so hard (they were just plastic without any padding whatsoever) that while a first they helped the faciitis, eventually I developed a severe bone bruise on my heel that made me change how I ran, and in turn made my faciitis even worse. I ended up buying soft-foam Nike running shoes (*** opposed to the support shoes my podiatrist suggested) and bought a pair of "Soft-Sol" brand inserts (the green kind) which added to the padding... and I haven't had a problem since!

That said, follow your Doctors advice with the orthodics, but don't be afraid to try out different shoes and so-on until you find ones that work. Remember, with running/cross training shoes, you pay for what you get.

Comment

Covman - take a look at this: http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm

I really disagree with your doctor's recommendation to keep up with your current running program (that disagreement doesn't come from a lack of respect necessarily for your doctor, but more from an understanding that general medicine doctors are not sports medicine doctors).

I agree with Callistobass - rest, ice, change to low impact activities (pool running/bike/swim etc.) until the injury has healed. Then back-off significantly on your mileage when you get back to running, and only increase mileage very cautiously.

Continuing your current program will just aggravate your condition. The link above has good advice and good information.

The one thing that I want to point out is that many of the common injuries incurred while running can often be traced back to the same culprits:

1. Running too often, too fast, or too far for your current fitness level

2. Increasing any of those variables too fast

3. Wearing the wrong shoes for your weight/gait/distances that you put in. Or continuing to wear shoes that have too many miles on them (change them out every 300-500 miles)

4. Running on surfaces that have little "give"

5. Inadequate rest periods in between runs

Comment

Orthotics are the only reason I can still run. Albeit very low milage, low frequency and on a treadmill; however I'll take it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The info on the site KRJ listed was the most informative I have found. I have cut back on the running quite a bit, instead using the stair machine, eliptical and the bike. I'm only running 3 miles a week or so, enough that I can still meet my academy entrance standards. Once I get the orthotics, I'm going to see how they work and build back up to where I was before the lastest onset of pain.

I didn't even think of going to a sports podiatrist. He would understand what I am going through better that the guy I go to now. If things don't get better, I'll research that. I'm not a small runner, so I overpronate pretty bad (common, I hear) and my next step is to get a new pair of running shoes. I don't have a clue how many miles mine have on them, but I've had them for the better part of a year. I liked how they fit initially, but now they don't fit too well and the support seemed to go away after my first run in them. My being cheap is why I haven't got a new pair.

Again, thank you for the help.

Covman454

Comment

I had heel spurs a few years ago...HORRIBLE pain. My Podiatrist wrapped my foot really tight in some kind of wrap, which had to stay on for 2 weeks (no getting it wet). It worked a miracles!! I also went twice a month for some kind of treatment...i cant think of the name...ultrasound, maybe? They used a hand-held machine on the bottom of my foot for like 15 minutes. It not only felt good, it seemd to help. You do have to stay off it as much as you can, aside from normal everyday use.

I also was against taking the meds...mine were so bad, the next treatment would have been surgery. Good luck.

Comment

I've had PF on and off for several years. i've never been a good runner, so I don't so can't help you with that, but can tell you this:
                1)it WILL get better, but it will take a long time- like a year sometimes
                2) soft arch supports like 'spancos' in your everyday shoes was a god send- you can get them at a shoe store that sells running shoes- don't get the crappy ones at safeway- get the good ones that are like $20 and replace them when the arch cushion becomes flattened. I'd suggest getting the full length are cushion- not just the flatter shoe liners.
                3) ice ice ice. after you work out, when you're just sitting around you can't over ice. get those blue bags that you put in the freezer and when you're not doing something ice!
                4) get a tennis ball and gently roll your foot over it- focus on the areas that are sore and then ice when you're done to reduce inflammation.
                5) if you don't want to take the RX meds. use advil- 600mg 3 times a day for as long as you can stand it (with food otherwsie you're in for a world of hurt- or your gut is).
                6) Lay off the running and then start back slowly. Listen to your body (even though it SUCKS) and stip when you're in pain and ICE.
                7) Did I say ice.?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14531 users online. 319 members and 14212 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X