300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout before or after work?

Slow at work atm, so I'll ask. Do you prefer to workout before or after work schedule permitting?

Currently working 11-7 shift so I prefer to work out after work, seems to help me sleep better during the daytime. Also never wanted to be really worn out from lifting and have to fight someone on the job.
    Liberalism is a mental disorder
    -Resistance implies Guilt-

Originally posted by Mraughh
    Slow at work atm, so I'll ask. Do you prefer to workout before or after work schedule permitting? Currently working 11-7 shift so I prefer to work out after work, seems to help me sleep better during the daytime. Also never wanted to be really worn out from lifting and have to fight someone on the job.
    That can work both ways, actually: I often used to train legs right before skating, after discovering that I often played better that way. The loss of stamina was outweighed by how warmed up my legs were as soon as I hit the ice. This was after about 10 sets of around 225 x 20+ and 315 x 15+ squats, too. I think if you make sure you drink enough during your workout and suck down some easily digested carbs right after, the fatigue issue is minimal. In my opinion, you're less likely to pull a muscle wrestling on the job after working out. I don't lift that heavy anymore, but I specifically trained legs right before testing in Vegas last year, going straight from the gym to the testing facility and my sprints felt great. I can definitely feel that my metabolism is revved up after training, and if anything, I'd probably feel more confident in a physical altercation afterwards than after sitting all day.

Now that I sit at a desk from 8-4, I train after work, mainly because I'd have to get up way too early to train before work, but also because I hate the feeling of sweating all over again after my shower into a clean shirt at my desk.

In your case, the main reason I'd do it your way is that the 7am gym crowd is a lot thinner and less obnoxious than the prime time 8-10pm crowd that you'd be dealing with after work. Ultimately, it's a personal preference thing, and you have to consider how your body reacts and how you feel (both while training, and at work afterwards) by experimenting a bit.
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

It's been a long time since I had a choice as to when I could workout.

Comment

i work out before work when i work the 11-7 qand 3-11 shifts and after work when i'm on 7-3s
        -Sean

Comment

I run and lift in the AM then play basketball after work. THe AM workout energizes me and makes me feel great during the day and the PM basketball lets me sleep easy.
          "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

Pro mentioned he performs better right after a leg work out, not me I'm torched for days which is why I do legs on Tuesday. That way I can run fast enough to chase someone on fri/sat/sun.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT6
              Pro mentioned he performs better right after a leg work out, not me I'm torched for days which is why I do legs on Tuesday. That way I can run fast enough to chase someone on fri/sat/sun.
              Same here, JRT. I trained legs RIGHT before skating or playing racquetball...almost like one (very) long, varied workout. Legs the day BEFORE is a totally different story. Fughettabouttitt
              Last edited by ProWriter; 02-18-2005, 11:22 AM.
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I have to be at work by 0500, so normally going before work isn't a good idea. I like to try and get out for a run on my lunch break if the weather is nice, other than that I normally go after work. On my days off I normally go to the gym about 1400, just a good time when they are not real busy.
                "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Comment

I tend to workout in between my split shift or after work. Right now I work with kids,until I get accepted anywhere. So I will work out as much as I can .

I also like to play basketball.

Jen
                  "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                  Not Yet Visited: 16
                  Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

During the week at school I work out after my morning classes which usually ends at 11am. I stay in the gym until 12:30/1pm.

During the weekend I only workout one of the two days before work. All I do is just run a bit and situps/pushups. I save the lifting for the school gym where I have my routine there.

But, this week being spring break and with me working 4pm-midnight all week long, I'll be sticking to my 11am workouts but at my house doing as much everyday as possible.

Comment

I would suggest that you do it after work. By doing this, you will always be fresh before you start your work, and you will not be over-hyped that might stress you doing work. You get your workout after work, you can get a total body workout within an hour (also depending on your routine), hit the showers, grab some grubs, and hit the sack - you get up fresh and ready - because you get to rest and recover your strength, you're ready to kick some doors!

I would suggest for you to plan a regimen or routine to help you get in to the exercise without wasting time wondering what exercise or machine you should go for next. Also, you mentioned on your other thread that you are having a surgery pretty soon - so, that's a big factor on how you want to plan your day after recovery. If you're a gym member, try to get some advise from one of their trainer and inform them of your surgery or condition, however, you may wanted to check with other resources, since some of these "trainers" can't tell the difference between a t-bar and a trap-bar.

God Speed Brother!!
                      "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

I have the ability to hit the gym over my lunch break, so that's what I do. I can get there, get in a circuit routine and do some cardio and get back to work in about 75 minutes. I've been doing it for years. I like it because it's a nice way to break up the day and it energizes me for the afternoon. The gym is also much less crowded at that time than during the evening hours. And I could never seem to get myself up early for excercise. My brain is just too good at coming up with justifications no to work out when that alarm goes off.

One of the reasons it might not be a bad idea to exercise before work is that it limbers you up. I read that the majority of injuries police officers suffer are strains to muscles, tendons and ligaments. Wroking out before hand gets everything stretched out for the day and reduces the chances you'll pull up lame in your next foot chase.
                        Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17654 users online. 532 members and 17122 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X