300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Excercices

By static I mean using a machine (not free weights) and then holding the weight, not doing reps. for example at the gym I go to we have a series of machines by Hammer Strength. I have seen people on the shoulder press machine, push the weight up (fully extend the arms) and hold the weight for like a minute if they can. You can do the same with the lat pull down/bench press machines.

I was just wondering what people thought of static exercises and whether they offer any benefit.

You see all kinds of things at the gym, like guys doing dips and pull ups with weights attached to their belts and a "spotter" to help them on every rep and guys wrapping towels on a bar so they don't crack a sternum bouncing it off their chests instead of actually lifting the weight, etc.

Static exercises will build endurance...if you happen to particularly need to hold real heavy **** over your head for long periods of time; otherwise, it's not really that useful. Rock climbers and anybody else who needs specific kinds of strength may do static movements to build up their endurance hanging by their fingers, for example.

Generally, you should try to hold weights briefly at the top position before descending, anytime it's a "peak contraction" movement, where you still have to work at the finish point (ex. leg extensions, curls, lateral raises, etc), but holding does nothing when the end point is a lock-out (presses, mainly). People with good form usually do hold for a second at the bottom of lat pulldowns, but most people spend as little time as possible at the bottom, because that makes it harder and they have to use less weight than letting the bar accelerate back up the instant it hits bottom. Ideally, you should pause at the finish point on all peak contraction movements before the negative part, but actually holding for extended periods isn't useful unless you're a rock climber, wrestler, gymnast, etc.

You should also try to move weights throughout every movement at a uniform speed, unless the purpose of your training is, specifically, to maximize that lift. One reason "gym strength" often fails to correlate with "real" strength, is that when you power through your points of least leverage during training by generating maximum "explosive" power at the point of greatest leverage, you're only really training for strength at the points of greatest leverage (or to lift as much as possible on a specific lift in the gym). That's why very few weight trained "strong" people could do any of the strength moves that gymnasts do routinely.
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I think they are very beneficial. But, personally I would never lean on this as my only form of training. I used static training as a booster and not as a primary workout plan. It's good when you want to break plateau's in your lifting. That's from my use of it. Others may think different as with all workouts your body will tell you what it benefits from. Everyone is different. Try it and if it works for you, then use it. I just think it's a good strength booster. Don't cancel out the Rep's method you always need functional strength.
      Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Comment

The Hammer Strength Machines are my favorite tool for isolating muscle groups. When I am at a gym with access to HS machines I work them into my workout every other day on that muscle group. For example I will do free weight chest exercises on Monday then do the HS chest on Thursday or will do one of every three or four lifts on a muscle group on the HS. I also like to rotate types of lifts. On monday I will do barbell bench and dumbbell incline then on thursday do dumbell bench and barbell incline.
        "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12449 users online. 298 members and 12151 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X