300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best high carb foods?

I've got a fire fighter agility test Thursday for a public safety officer position, and we're gonna have to do the ff combat challenge, wondering what the best high carb foods are. I've been looking around my house, so far grits and oats are the highest per serving that I can stomach and don't have much sugar in them. No supplements please, just food
    We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

I think brown rice or whole wheat pasta would be good. Not sure what the carb count is though.

Comment

Rice, corn, bread, bananas, all have a very high glycemic index.
      "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

Old Thread on Complex Carbs (Post#8)

Here's some info from an old post:

Best Complex Carbs

The thing is, you don't need to make radical diet changes for the short term. Training is 90% and you can make sure your well trained muscles are properly fueled by "carb loading," but if you haven't been training, stuffing yourself with carbs right beforehand isn't going to help much and may just cause you some intestinal distress when you least want to deal with it...if you know what I mean.

Txinvestigator1:

On the topic of glycemic index, I believe that is not really a significant issue unless you're diabetic. Carrots, for example, are very high on that index. I admit, I've always left them off my plate partly for that reason, but I don't really like them anyway...and if I happened to like carrots more, I really wouldn't worry about it at all. You can't gain weight on too many carrots. Sweet potatoes are another perfectly good "dietetic" food that's high up on the G.I. The other main relevance of the glycemic index would be for people worried about staying awake on the job. Then again, the coffee & dougnut thing is no better in terms of insulin spikes and so forth, the carrot's better for you...and you don't have to hide it while in uniform to avoid any annoying cliches.

If you're already well trained and just want to carb-up, runners and endurance athletes usually go for pastas, in which case, the spinach and other dark, semolina pastas are the best (and also lower on the G.I. than white pasta).

Good luck.
        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter

Txinvestigator1:

On the topic of glycemic index, I believe that is not really a significant issue unless you're diabetic. Carrots, for example, are very high on that index. I admit, I've always left them off my plate partly for that reason, but I don't really like them anyway...and if I happened to like carrots more, I really wouldn't worry about it at all. You can't gain weight on too many carrots. Sweet potatoes are another perfectly good "dietetic" food that's high up on the G.I. The other main relevance of the glycemic index would be for people worried about staying awake on the job. Then again, the coffee & dougnut thing is no better in terms of insulin spikes and so forth, the carrot's better for you...and you don't have to hide it while in uniform to avoid any annoying cliches.

Good luck.
          I partly disagree. HGI foods cause a rapid rise in blood glucose levels, causing an increased insulin reaction. Elevated Insulin locks fat cells, stores blood glucose as fat, and make you hungry again too so.

HGI foods should be consumed in moderation. Most people dont do that though. If I have a potato with my meal, thats all the carbs I eat. but instead if I have Broccoli, green beans, salad, fruit, etc., I can have more than I can really eat and not have the same spike in blood glucose as I do with the tater.

I agree about the coffee too. I avoid caffeinated drinks for that reason....and don't even get me started on donuts! Hate em
          "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

I've been training pretty reguarly, focusing more on running than weight lifting. I forgot about that thread, they oughta make that a sticky. I hope everything goes good, I've heard it's pretty tough even for the ones in good shape
            We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Malt liquor.
              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                Malt liquor.
                I thought that was in preparation for an oral board...you know 7 or 8 shots to loosen you up?
                Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17748 users online. 484 members and 17264 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X