300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Stitch

Whenever I run I get a bad stitch in my left side at about the 3/4 mile mark. Does anyone have any advice on preventing it instead of just running through it? I know that is def slows me down and I can't have it happen during the PAT. Thanks for any info you can provide.
    When you absolutely, posotively have to go 10 miles in 5 minutes- CVPI!!![/

I used to get them when I was in high school a lot, only thing I could do was grab my side an keep runnin lol

Try doing side stretches, part of my stretching now includes those and haven't had any problems for years.

Comment

I used to get these too. I was told by my gym teacher in H.S. to breath through my mouth and not my nose. This may sound weird but it really helped me.
      American Born, Country By the Grace of God

Comment

I'm assuming you're talking about a pain in your side, around your abs. I forget what it is, but you should massage it and force breath out of your lungs by placing your lips together and blowing hard, it's helped me. I'd recommend more running and possibly proper nutrition to help it go away
        We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Got this from coolrunning.com

The Stitch

Description:
          "We've all had this one, a sudden sharp pain in the side of the upper abdomen at the base of the ribs. The side stitch typically strikes when you're really pushing yourself and fades quickly when you slow down or stop. The stitch is particularly common for new runners still adjusting to the rigors of running.

Likely causes:
          The pain is caused by a spasm of the diaphragm, the muscle that controls your breathing. There are a number of possible reasons for this. If your breathing isn't controlled and disciplined, the diaphragm may be complaining. If you are running too soon after eating, your heavy stomach may literally be tugging at the ligaments connected to the diaphragm. Or you may simply be running too fast for your body's breathing machinery to keep up.

Remedy:
          A stitch will usually go away quickly after just slowing down or stopping. If you're in a race or you just don't want to stop, however, you can often make it go away by bringing your breathing into careful control. Concentrate on belly breathing, pushing your belly out when you breathe in and relaxing it as you breathe out. Take deep breaths on the intake, and exhale suddenly, even noisily. To get the diaphragm to contract in rhythm with your steps, try to inhale and exhale as you land on your left foot. Strange but true, this can help prevent spasms by encouraging the diaphragm to bounce along in sync with your stride.

If the pain is just too much and you have to stop, try bending over and raising your knee on the stitch side while pressing your fingers deep into the painful area and tightening your stomach muscles. Or just walk while belly breathing."

The only way I've ever personally been able to get over a stitch is to slow down and/or stop running. It's usually been brought on in my case by not doing a long-enough warm-up ie. trying to jump into regular running pace before my body is ready.

Re: the PAT test, the one thing I always encourage people to do is warm-up VERY well before the 1.5. That means starting with a walk, going into a slow jog, and gradually taking the pace close to your regular run pace for a short period - then doing it all backwards (ending with a walk to the start line).

You DON'T want to spend 5 minutes of an important 12-15 minute run warming up.

By the way - what's this RepPower-thing beside everyone's name??

Comment

It's all peer pressure krj If you make a post someone likes you can add to their power, and if not then decrease it. Stupid IMO

Comment

Originally posted by rebbryan
              It's all peer pressure krj If you make a post someone likes you can add to their power, and if not then decrease it. Stupid IMO
              Well, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it - it sounds kinda junior-high-ish.

I've got 14 - is that good or bad?? And will ya'll sit with me in the cafeteria at lunch time??

Comment

Agreed, it sounds like something off a kiddy board, I hope it gets gone some time

No we won't sit with you, you've got kooties

Comment

(Former Cross Country runner)

The best way I learned to get rid of a stich is to change your breathing pattern.

let me explain.

when you run, keep a pattern with your breathing with the punding of your feet.

I do "2-2" breathing, so I inhale for two strides, exhale for 2 strides. Slower runs I might do 3-3 breathing, but there is no standard, so do whatever you like best.

Whenever I get stiches, I change up my breathing. I'll go "2-3," "3-2," - you get the idea.. You just need to get more oxygen in there, and changing your breathing always helps me

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
                    Lots of good advice here..Also, make sure you are drinking enought water and electrolytes...
                    VERY good point! Even if you are not very active in the fitness department, you should always drink water like it is going out of style!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3376 users online. 257 members and 3119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X