300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Workout

For those who are in or have completed an Academy already!

What is a typical Academy workout. I know they have the basic running, push-ups,sit-ups. But how is this organized. I hope my question is clear. I'm trying to get a feel for a PT day in the Academy.
    Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Re: Academy Workout

Originally posted by IronKing
    For those who are in or have completed an Academy already!

What is a typical Academy workout. I know they have the basic running, push-ups,sit-ups. But how is this organized. I hope my question is clear. I'm trying to get a feel for a PT day in the Academy.
    Depends on the Academy. What dept are you trying to get on with or have you already?

Most agencies do an orientation to familiarize yourself with doing PT, but at the same time, others will be like the military, where if you do something wrong, etc, you will get "smoked" for a preiod of time.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Academy I'm in we do 20 pushups for everytime we get out of stance during tactics, when running we do stretches for about 10 minutes. Then run 1.5 miles. The pushups end up being 200-500, depending on your coordination After finishing the 20, jump back up get in stance, and try again. All academies are different.

Comment

I know Academies are different, I just wanted something I could compare my current routines to. I'm waiting for another date for a Chief Interview. They had to reschedule me and some other guys that were so suppose to come in on Dec. 29. I think I'm hired because the BI told me after I meet the Chief, me and him would talk. I'm assuming about getting sworn in and attending an Academy because they don't have there own. So I'm trying to train my body and mind now for an Academy based workout. I was used to lifting weights. Now I focus on bodyweight exercises. So I guess you can I will be in one shortly.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

We also do the bunny hop, crawl on your hands and feet except back toward the ground and a bunch of others. Do those for about a hour a day you'll build some strength, and get fast at it. bunny hop = feet together, hop the length of half a football field, then hop backwards and so on.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by rudegyal
            We also do the bunny hop, crawl on your hands and feet except back toward the ground and a bunch of others. Do those for about a hour a day you'll build some strength, and get fast at it. bunny hop = feet together, hop the length of half a football field, then hop backwards and so on.

Good Luck
            I spent a good number of years doing bunny hops, duck walks and a whole host of other activities that:

a) extend your knees beyond a 90 degree angle
            b) severely load the knee while it is extended beyond a 90 degree angle

I have the knee injuries to prove it.

If you have to do these activities during academy workouts, then you have to do them.

But these types of activities greatly increase your chances for long-term and permanent knee injuries, and I strongly recommend AGAINST their use during personal training times.

Comment

In my academy our PT Officer would start us off with stretches and warm-up, than we usually did what they call a perimeter run (8 laps around a high school fence line, total out to about a 1 1/2 mile. Some days we did bleacher runs, where we would run the bleachers and than half a lap to the other side ,run the bleachers again and so on. We would do this for about 8 laps on a high school track. There is so many variations that you could be put through. If your just starting out i would do the basic drills thats required to pass your state or academy physical fitness test. In Nevada we have some very easy standards. one mile and a half in 17 m:17 sec, yes i know, you could walk that, 300 meter run in 77 seconds, 17 inch vertical jump, and i think its 15 push ups with no time limit and last but not least 18 sit ups in a minute. I know these all sound easy, but you'd be surprised how many recruits drop, because they cant meet the minimum standards. I hope this gives a bit of a foundation to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                This was a typical "circuit training day" for us:

Warm up jog (1-2 laps) sometimes with pullups
                Stretch period

1 cycle of:

Exercises (pushups or situps or mountain climbers or dorsal arches or similar)
                Fast 220

Exercises
                Medium 440

Exercises
                Fast 220

Exercises
                Medium 440

Exercises
                Fast 220

Exercises
                Jog 880

End of 1 cycle

number of cycles dependent on mood of instructors or performance of class

instructors chased us on the runs

number of exercises increased as the academy progresses

only "rest periods" were running in place until everyone was back in formation (military lines in the middle of the infield) from each run or brief moments to hydrate

What does all the 880, 220, etc mean???
                Stay Safe!!

Comment

That's what i was wondering too.

only "rest periods" were running in place until everyone was back in formation

Comment

Yea see Samuel, we are not cops yet, lol, , say it back in english, lol.
                    Stay Safe!!

Comment

LOL, I was thinking it was yards since you were talking about running, but I had to make sure . I got it now, lol.
                      Stay Safe!!

Comment

This was my Pre-employment PT

1.Flex Test
                        2.35 sit ups in one minute was the minimum
                        3.Bench Press - one rep 90% percent of weight
                        4.Wall climb(pullup) - 5 second hold with chin over wall
                        5.dummy drag 150lbs
                        6.1.5 run - 13:22 or better
                        7. Display use of department issued weapon (dry fire)

That was my test.

Comment

Just a quick tip from someone in the Academy right now -- ask around to find out what the most difficult day of each type of exercise is in your specific Academy, and be able to do that on Day 1. So whatever your recruiters told you to be able to do going in -- blow those numbers away.

You will have plenty on your plate at the Academy, so knowing that you can handle PT no problem will be a nice stress reliever. Like other posters have said, it really differs from place to place as to the specifics of what you do.

We break up our PT into three different kinds of days -- runs, circuits, and weight room. The most we ever run is around 6 miles at maybe an 8:30 pace, but usually substantially less (4-5) and slower (9-9:30) than that. Another poster described the circuits already, and weight room is individualized...

Comment

in new york state...

...for the pre-hiering test we have to do 42 sit ups in a minute, 1.5mile run in 12:30, which is what they want, bench press 92% of body weight, dry fire a glock 16x and hold it for 60 seconds, then do this obsticle course thing.
                            "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13125 users online. 367 members and 12758 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X