300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Endurance

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to workout routines using free-weights and Nautilus equipment to help increase running endurance.

At present I do squat's, leg press, calf raises and some lunges.

Thanks in advance.

Avratdwc

I agree with you 100% on just getting out and doing it. I have improved in my endurance and time over the last couple weeks. I have never ran before so I am trying to learn the correct way. For PBSO I have to get 1.5 miles in 14:10. Trying like hell to get there.

In my normal workout routines I will do lowver body one day and upper the next etc. I am looking for some things to change in my lower body workout that will help me with my running.

Thanks for the web links!

Does anyone else have any recommendations.

Comment

Forget lifting and focus on cardio if you want to improve your time. I was not the greatest runner in the Academy, I only improved by...running some more. Sprints really helped me improve my time; I actually had a better time than the musclehead who finished number one overall in fitness in my Academy class. Of course that was in 1988, I get winded now just using the clicker.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

You don't need to focus on your legs to increase running endurance. Your endurance relies on your cardiovascular system and not solely on the leg muscles. Your legs are naturally strong because it carries your upperbody all day. You have to train your lungs, heart, and so forth. Like everyone else get out and run. Your legs can naturally go a great distance.It's the wind pipe that stops you. Running will also make your legs stronger by itself. While running focus on your breathing. Go for distance then worry about time later. Make sure you can complete a certain distance first then practice on your time. If you practice distance it will increase your endurance.
        Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Comment

Thanks folks!!! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Interval training will get your lungs where they need to be real quick.

Comment

You will need to run at least 20 to 30 minutes to get a good cardio workout. I suggest either interval or fartlek running. Swing your arms more and invest in some good running shoes. Don't be cheap since it's your feet and shins.

Comment

Just keep in mind somewhere down the line you'll need both. You'll need endurance and strength. I'm sure you've seen the type of guys that can run a marathon but can't get an old lady into cuffs. But on the other hand there are guys that bench 300 pounds but have a heart attach running up a flight of stairs. You should try maintain a good balance between running 10 miles and lifting some big numbers. it's not easy to maintain both, but you never know when you might need to run a few blocks to wrestle down a crazy crack addict.

Just my 2 Cents!

Comment

Hey folks, I have taken everyone's advice and have been running 2 times a day. One problem I have been encountering is my shins tighten up really bad after 10-15 minutes. I dont know the reason since I stretch lightly and have been trying to hold descent form while running. If anyone has any ideas on why this is or ways to overcom let me know.

Thanks,

Avratdwc

Comment

Originally posted by avratdwc
                    Hey folks, I have taken everyone's advice and have been running 2 times a day. One problem I have been encountering is my shins tighten up really bad after 10-15 minutes. I dont know the reason since I stretch lightly and have been trying to hold descent form while running. If anyone has any ideas on why this is or ways to overcom let me know.
                    Can you be more specific re: your "tight shins"? Tight shins or tight calves? Is there pain? If so, where exactly is the pain - and does it hurt throughout your run once it starts? Is there pain when you're NOT running?

Without knowing the answer to these things I would suggest considering the following:

1. Are you overtraining - running too far, too hard and/or too often for your current fitness level?

2. Do you take the time to warm-up (stretching isn't necessary, but slowly easing into your runs over the course of the first 5 minutes IS)

3. Are you wearing good quality running shoes - with adequate cushioning and specific to your "gait" (ie. how your foot impacts with the road)?

4. What kinds of surfaces are you running on?

5. What else is different NOW, than it was before the tight-shin-thing?

Comment

krj,

In response to your questions.

1. I am new to running, the reason I am getting into it is for PBSO PAT and the academy. To be honest, my fitness level is not where it used to be. I am trying to eat healthy again and shed some pounds. I am a larger guy, 23 years old, 245 lbs, 6'1", large body build. I am trying to shed 15-20 lbs.

I am trying to do 1.5 miles each time, once in the morning, once in the evening.

2. Yes, there is a warm-up period for me over the first few minutes.

3. I think I bought a quality pair of running shoes. Saucony's (pardon the possible wrong spelling).

4. Most of the running I am doing now is on the treadmill at the gym. I try to get a jog in at night out on the road by my house.

5. I just started noticing this "tight shin" feeling as I have increased my tempo on the treadmill.

Hope this helps you to possibly help me, I truly appreciate it.

Avrat

Comment

Take a look at this website - it's excellant re: general running info, and (in particular) running injuries: http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spsport.html

Here's my suggestion re: a running program for the immediate future:

MONTH OF FEBRUARY:

Run 4 times a week only (and at one time - not am and pm)

Do only long runs: 2 miles each run the first couple of weeks, and build to 3 miles each run by the end of February

Don't worry about speed, and don't worry if you have to walk some of it - just go the distance (the walking will decrease and the running will increase over time)

MONTH OF MARCH:

Run 4-5 times a week only

Each week do:

1 long run of 3-4 miles (as slow as you need to to cover the distance)

1 interval run of 1-2 miles (warmup and begin to run at your comfortable speed; pick up the pace until you're running "comfortably hard"; when you feel tired drop the pace back down to your comfortable speed; when you recover pick up the pace again)

1 tempo run of 1-2 miles (warmup and then run the entire distance at about 10 seconds/mile faster than your "comfortable speed")

1 hill/flat combination run - find a road (or set the treadmill) so that you spend most of your run (you pick the distance) on the flats running at a comfortable pace. Run the hills hard when they come, don't slow down until you crest over the top of the hill, and then fall back into your regular run pace (your heart rate will be up - but it WILL quickly recover)

1 run at 1.5 miles - on a track or very flat surface - and time yourself.

Some Additional:

a) plan your weekly schedule ahead of time so you know what kind of workout you're doing each day

b) the long run stuff in February is important IMO because it helps to build a solid cardio base, teaches your brain and your feet how to run, and physically and psychologically prepares you for the speed work to come in March

c) the leg work stuff you mentioned is OK to do and WILL help to improve leg strength. But a strong upper body (core strength through the stomache and back, and shoulder/arm strength) all help to stabilize your body while you are running (and help with a strong arm turnover during speed work). So do weights either in conjuction with your runs (or on separate days)

d) take at least one day (and preferably two days) off each week to not think about getting fitter and faster. Your brain and your body need breaks to repair and rejuvenate

Comment

sounds like you got shin splints.
                          I got them all the time in the army from running. I'm heavy too like you and got bad knees so I do eliptical orbit machines instead of running. those work quads and gluts, increase endurance and dont give me all the pains like before.
                          Do you have low or fallen arches? I have fallen arches and I think that caused me to get the shin splints when I ran in addition to being heavy. Even had good shoes too, one thing I did do was to warm up first, wear sweatpants to keep my legs warm and focus on alot more stretching of my calves and shins to help keep them from hurting so much. I also tried to glide when i ran, rather than picking up my feet and putting them down, seemed to help so not as much weight impacted each time I stepped.
                          Liberalism is a mental disorder
                          -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

I agree, it sounds like shin splits. I don't get them too much anymore unless I'm running hard on pavement...the impact can be killer. Are you running on a treadmill with shock support? Believe me, it can make a difference. Also, go to a decent shoe store and see if you can find some good arch support inserts for your shoes. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by friedom77
                              Interval training will get your lungs where they need to be real quick.
                              YES. Also Hill workouts, Fartlek (which was mentioned).. great post.

as for the shin splints.. if you have some of those little paper "bathroom" cups (dixie makes them) fill a couple with water and put them in your freezer. After they are frozen, apply the ice DIRECTLY to the shin for 15mins on - 15 minutes off until gone - it will do wonders!

Also: if you have a workout band, use it! if you don't have one, grab a towel and draw your "ABC's" with your toe (hook the towel around your foot while sitting flat on the ground). It'll strengthen those muscles with time and consistancy.

Also: consider running in a grassy park (if available) or instead of on a sidewalk/road, run between them in the grass. It'll help with the impact.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14002 users online. 398 members and 13604 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X