300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in Shin's After Running

I usually tend to run 3-4 miles, about three times a week. But in the past week I have had a sharp pain in both of my lower legs, at the shin. It hurts in on certain area on both legs. I'm not sure what it is, but I have cut down any time running, and have put ice over that area. Does anybody know what the pain could possibly be, and how to relieve it. By the way it only hurts if I touch it, and when I go running for the first two minutes.

Re: Pain in Shin's After Running

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck
    I usually tend to run 3-4 miles, about three times a week. But in the past week I have had a sharp pain in both of my lower legs, at the shin. It hurts in on certain area on both legs. I'm not sure what it is, but I have cut down any time running, and have put ice over that area. Does anybody know what the pain could possibly be, and how to relieve it. By the way it only hurts if I touch it, and when I go running for the first two minutes.
    CC - a couple of questions:

1. Where exactly on your shins does it hurt (vertically, horizontally, small or large area)?

2. Pain sudden or has the discomfort been building over time?

3. Has anything re: your runs changed? Eg: distance, number of times you're running/week, running surface?

4. You titled this thread "pain in shins AFTER running", but said in your post that it hurts only during the first two minutes of your run. When exactly does the pain come (and when does it leave)?

Comment

I tend to run on paved and gravel roads in the country. I can feel the pain when running two minutes, but then it subsides, afterwards the only way I feel the pain again is by applying pressure. The pain is vertical, and its in a small area just above the foot, but below the knee. I have'nt made any changes in my running, my last run was 3 miles, and I added a few hundred meters to my distance.

- The pain started about a week ago

Comment

You might need new running shoes. If you're putting 10-20 miles a week on them, you should replace them about every 6 months or so.
        Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

The thing about about shin splints and over use injuries is that the lomnger they get it worse it will take about three times as long for them to get better. I would definately go see a othropedic or podiatrist doctor now so the problem can be corrected and the running can coninue with minimal interuption.

A guy at the academy I teach at ignored shin splints and now how has basically two broken legs and will be out so long he will have to repeat the entire academy if he wishes to graduate.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...threadid=18861

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...threadid=19179

These are previous threads on both shin splints and stress fractures. JRT6 is absolutely correct - shin splints are cumulative (the discomfort is very mild in the earliest stages of the injury, but can progress to debilitating if ignored)

Shin splints are a long-term overuse injury. Stress fractures "usually" happen pretty quickly (ie. one minute you're uninjured - the next you feel a "crunch" and you're hurting).

I'm not ENTIRELY convinced that it is either one of these types of injuries (pain does not usually stop after a couple of minutes with either shin splints or stress fractures) - but they ARE the most likely culprits.

No matter what - take some time off, ice, do low impact for a few weeks, look at your shoes and running surface, and then scale back the distance and speed when you start running again. If these don't help, definately take JRT6's advice and have your legs professionally evaluated.

Don't ignore the pain - it WON'T go away by itself.

Comment

I had a problem wuht shin splints when I started running last summer. I had no been running for a few years. The biggest help I found was getting some good running shoes, and you can expect to spend around $100. I went into a running store with my old shoes and told them the problems I was having. They looked at my old shoes to see how they were wearing, then recomended a good shoe to correct my stride. It made a huge difference and I have not had a problem since.
              "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Comment

get good running shoes and thin almost mesh like running socks (i wear under armour workout socks). also make sure you are stretching enough.
                -Sean

Comment

Is it a muscular pain in the front of your shins that you can massage with your fingers? Can you reproduce the same pain if you sit with your feet on the floor and hold your toes up off the floor while leaving your heels on the floor? If so, then it's probably something else called anterior tibialis compartment syndrome. Basically, the muscles on the front of your shin get too pumped up and a thin band of tissue (like the one surrounding the meat on a chicken bone) keeps them from expanding comfortably in there. They diagnose it with a needle probe to check the internal pressure after running and they fix it by minor surgery to slit the band open under the skin to allow more room for the muscles to expand.
                  No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20084 users online. 558 members and 19526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X