300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do sports drinks really work

I've been using them and sometimes I notice a difference I'd like other opinions so I can see if I'm wasting at least 5$ a week.
    Operation iraqi freedom veteran

"Even the paranoid have enemies"

"Stay safe and be good to yourself and eachother"

Yes. I wouldn't recommend drinking them before working out. But they do help replace lost minerals and electrolytes after an intense workout.

Old-fashioned Gatorade works fine, and some guys actually drink Pedialyte.
    Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

When all your muscles need is a fast glycogen replenishment after a hard workout Koolaid works just as any expensive sports drink at providing simple glucose at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Do they work - for the most part, they're an OK thing.

1. Sports drinks replace fluids lost during physical activity - however, plain water can do the same thing.

2. Sports drinks supply glucose which can be useful during endurance activities that last longer than an hour. However, if you drink something too sweet (eg. undiluted fruit juice or a regular soda), that has a carbohydrate concentration greater than 8%, it can actually SLOW DOWN fluid emptying from the stomache (and consequently slow down the delivery of water to body tissues).

3. Most sports drinks have about 7% glucose - which aids in water absorption. Even at 7%, when I buy them I usually water the sports drink down quite a bit (eg. split a sports drink into two water bottles, and fill the rest with water). But I also do the same with fruit juice - about one third fruit juice and two thirds water and I'm good to go for a while, after a workout.

4. Sports drinks also help to replace sodium, potassium and other electrolytes that are lost during long (or very high intensity) workouts.

5. Most people don't need to replace all of these minerals that are lost in sweat immediately, and you could really just eat a decent meal within a couple of hours of exercise and still replace everything you lost just fine.

6. Sports drinks taste good which ENCOURAGES more drinking before and after exercise - a good thing. They're also convenient and readily available - also good.

7. Sports drinks also sometimes provide a "psychological edge" - particularly for those people who associate sports drink consumption with athletic success.

Comment

Originally posted by krj
          3. Most sports drinks have about 7% glucose - which aids in water absorption. Even at 7%, when I buy them I usually water the sports drink down quite a bit (eg. split a sports drink into two water bottles, and fill the rest with water). readily available - also good.
          Agreed. I buy the big cans of dry Gatorade at Walmart, but only mix half the recommended serving scoop with water. I'll have glass after an intense workout or long run.

Also, a good multivitamin twice a day can help get what you need, without all the extra sugar.
          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

I like to get a hundred grams of carbs after a run or hard workout. In order to do that one must get the insulin spike that will allow them to double their normal glucose uptake. Soft drinks are primarily fructose which is a tripple bond sugar that takes too long to break down to glucose to get the right insuline response.

Now mind that I'm not talking rehydration. I don't get dehydrated enough, hopefully, where it is more important to hydrate right away as opposed to re-fueling with a slower to digest carb beverage.

Incidently I've read where the "if your thirsty your already dehydrated" maxim has been found to be untrue when finally scientificaly tested as opposed to being a supposition.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9131 users online. 242 members and 8889 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X