X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout Advice!

Here is my stats, and I am fairly sure they are accurate
    5Ft. 8 In. tall, 238Lbs, 20 Years old.

I know I am fairly overweight, but this is what i do not understand, I have been going to the gym after work now for about 4 months, I aim for 5 nights a week, but usually get 3-4 nights a week, My routine has been this: The first 20 minutes are weight-lifting, concentrating on my upper-body because that is where i need the most work. After that I am on the treadmill for a total of 35 minutes, I usually alternate walking and running: 2 minutes walking and 3 minutes running. When I walk I do it at a 3.0 MPH and I run between 4.0-5.5MPH. And I usually average about 2.2 Miles in 35 minutes, including the 5 minute cooldown which has no running in it. Now I definatly feel my upper body strength getting better, and I don't feel as 'gumpy' as I did when I started, but I'm just not losing any weight. Also, I usually stop eating after 6:30 at night. This is how I usually pack my lunch:

2 Hot Pockets, an orange, 2 sugar-free jellos and 3 bottles of flavored water, either Fruit2O or Propel, I can't stand Pop. I'll usually eat everything but the orange, at lunch, and save the orange for my evening snack (6:30P.M.) And I'll drink the waters throughout the day.

I'm sure the answer to my question is smacking me in the face, but I just cant figure it out, I'm almost positive it is what im eating, but with the job i have, working all hours, i just dont have time to make home cooked lunches to take with me, so i have to eat the pre-packaged foods i can buy. Those are usually Ham&cheese, or pizza hot-pockets, or frozen burritos. And suggestions on quick foods I could buy that are ready to eat and healthy?? Thanks in advance!
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

I would keep the workout up but it sounds like what you said to me is your diet. Hot pockets and burritos have alot of calories and carbs in them I think. What about making sandwiches before you go to bed, wheat bread maybe, I eat wheat, you should be able to get lean deli meat from your local store. Thats an idea though

Comment

Thank you for the advice, the biggest problem I have is that I always tell myself that i'll get up earlier in the morning, and fix lunch before I go, but it never seems to work that way, and I don't want to make it the night before because the mustard makes the bread soggy. Mabye if I bought proportioning cups and plastic knives I would do it.
      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Its your diet! You need to find a way to eat healthier food because hot pockets and burritos aren't helping you at all. I would suggest cooking a well balanced lunch the night before or instead of buying hot pockets and burritos how about lean cuisines or something to that nature. Your work out regimen sounds good its even better than mine, but you gonna have to eat better. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Contact,

Its definately your diet thats causing your problem.I believe propel and fruit20 probably has just as much sugar as pop does. Try decaf unsweetened iced tea with splenda sugar substitute instead.You are bombarding your body with a ton of carbs which only causes you to become hungrier faster during the day.The hot pockets and borritos are horrible choices if trying to lose weight.Try lettuce wraps instead. Use the lettuce instead of bread when making sandwiches and you wont have to worry about soggy bread.
          I have lost 20 pounds in a little over 6 weeks doing the South Beach diet. This diet is very easy to follow and promotes proper eating and drinking habits. The book costs only 18 dollars at Wal-mart and is well worth the investment in your health and fitness.You can also go on line to find more recipes that other people have come up with to supplement the book.
          Sounds like you have a great work out routine going, so stick to it and eat right.
          Fordfreak

Comment

Ditto.

Your diet sucks. It's all sugar, sodium, and empty calories. If you can only get to fast food joints, try Subway or other sandwich shops.

20 y/o, 5-8 and 238? That's 20 years of bad eating habits. Get your energy from fresh veggies and fruits, not sugar and caffeine.
            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

working out isn't a cure all. most trainers suggest people lose the weight before trying to put on muscle, b/c to put on muscle you need more food than reguarly and it can lead to adding a few pounds, and if you've already got a few pounds then results aren't shown. try atkins
              We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Ford Freak, Propel has only 20 calories in a bottle, and Fruit2O is actually made with splenda, I usually drink one with crushed ice if i get a sweet tooth! I will look into getting that book for sure.

SinePari, I agree with you, Its only been the last year or so that I've getting serious about getting in shape, and it is very hard to change the habits, I've never even thought twice about what I ate, but I can overcome it!

rebbryan, I have also heard that it is better to concentrate on losing weight first, and then building muscle.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                  rebbryan, I have also heard that it is better to concentrate on losing weight first, and then building muscle.
                  If your time is limited at the gym, I would focus on doing CARDIO-CARDIO-CARDIO (treadmil, bike, lifestep) for 30-45 min.

Then you should throw in some mild weight training. Do basic circuit training, and don't get into doing exercises that isolate little tini-tiny muscles. Just hit the large groups and you'll be fine.
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

The Weights machines I usually use are the butterfly machine, and the 2 Curling machines, one where you pull up, the second one where you push down, I'll have to find out the exact names of the machines, then I Use the one where you are standing up, and you pull the weight down to your waist, and back up, And lastly, the one where you are sitting down, and you pull the bar down to your throat, and back up. Technical Information, I know.

I usually do 3 sets of ten, unless its been a long day, then its 2 sets of 10. No matter what I do, I get my 30 minutes on the treadmill, if it's been a really long day, then that might be all I do.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

i'd suggest doing a lot more workout. go buy a copy of men's health or some weight lifting magazine and see if it has a weekly routine schedule in it and try it. 20 minutes imo doesn't seem like very much time to get a good workout. you should take at least an hour

Comment

I agree with a lot of things that have been said so far, but I disagree with some things:

Originally posted by rebbryan
                        most trainers suggest people lose the weight before trying to put on muscle, b/c to put on muscle you need more food than reguarly and it can lead to adding a few pounds, and if you've already got a few pounds then results aren't shown. try atkins
                        1. Reb, my experience is that most trainers say exactly the opposite of this - that they DO encourage people to exercise WHILE they're losing weight, for a couple of reasons:

If you want to lose weight you HAVE to burn more calories than you take in through your diet on a consistant basis.

a) DECREASING the number of calories you eat, and INCREASING activity (to burn more calories) is the most efficient way of losing weight (and faster than just cutting calories alone)

b) Physical activity serves to speed up your metabolism (meaning that you burn more calories not only while you're exercising, but also throughout the rest of your day)

c) Very physically active people DO need to increase calorie consumption - but in Contact's case (someone who is participating in a moderate exercise program) - he just doesn't NEED to eat more food to sustain that level of activity

2. Contact, I agree with Reb (and others) that your program looks pretty good - and in reality if you're doing 20 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio 3-4 nights a week, you're doing fine for someone who is only just getting involved in a regular fitness routine. Aside from focusing on large muscle groups in strength training, I wouldn't change what you're doing right now.

I believe that in time, once you get into a solid habit of working out regularly, your workouts will become more focused - it's kind of a natural evolution for that to happen - but keep doing what you're doing for now

3. I would suggest that you take an hour and walk through a grocery store - every aisle, reading labels as you go (not your first choice of field trips, I'm sure - but you'll learn a lot). Nutrition information is on those labels, so there's a ton of info to help you make good nutritional choices. If you don't know how to read the labels (or interpret the information) let us know, and we'll all see if we can break it down a bit

From my own personal perspective, I hate to cook (but I love to eat!! ). At the same time that I try to make healthy choices, I also don't really have the inclination to put too much thought or preparation into what I actually shovel into my body - particularly while I'm at work.

What do I eat? Lots of non-fat yogurt, fruit, cereal and 2% milk, sandwiches on whole wheat (turkey, ham, tuna).

I sometimes eat the fruit alone - sometimes cut it up and throw it into the yoghurt or on top of the cereal. I keep the box of cereal and a small jug of milk at work, so it's always there.

Re: sandwiches - put a couple of slices of bread in a sandwich bag along with the meat, and buy those tupperware containers so you can throw a couple of lettuce leaves and a tomatoe into it. Get one of those little squeeze mustard containers and leave it at work. You can throw everything together when you are ready to eat.

There's a TON of options, which is why I suggest you take a field trip to a grocery store - you can buy tuna in cans (or even easier but more expensive) in those peel tinfoil pouches. There are a million different kinds of fruit juices, vegetable juices, breads, pudding cups, fruit cups, low sodium soups , etc. Just take a walk and see what you find.

One last thought - don't step on the scale for a while. Losing weight (actual FAT weight) takes a while so it can be discouraging to see the numbers drop "too slowly". The other reason that I suggest that, is that if you truly lower the number of calories you take in, and continue to lift weights (again, focusing on working the large muscle groups of the body) - it's entirely possible for you to lose 5 pounds of body FAT, and gain 5 pounds of body MUSCLE (consequently the number on the scale will read the same).

Good luck.

Comment

I want to add that not working out with enough intensity to gain muscle because it will make you heavier is silly. Muscle takes calories to put and to keep. Also when one stops cardio they stop the calorie burn whereas after a weight lifting workout your calorie burn(metabolism increase) lasts for several more hours if not a couple of days.

A person who wishes to loose weight and gain muscle fitness as well a more postive self image gained from toning up and growing would be weel advised to do both lifitng and some moderate cardio. Hard cardio will stop lifitng gains cold in a trained athlete but in an untrained one that is not the case. Especially since most of the strength gained when first starting to workout is from a more efficient use of muscle contractions rather than an actual strength gain.

Comment

1. Reb, my experience is that most trainers say exactly the opposite of this - that they DO encourage people to exercise WHILE they're losing weight, for a couple of reasons:

If you want to lose weight you HAVE to burn more calories than you take in through your diet on a consistant basis.
                            yes you're right, i was thinking more of putting on muscle instead of trying to lose weight.

Comment

Another question is what should I be most concerned with, Carbs, SUgars, Calories, Sodium, Protein, I Mean there is a lot of things on these little labels!! The ones I have been told to watch is carbs and Calories, but a couple people here has mentioned Sodium, What gives?

-GK Chesterton

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9639 users online. 287 members and 9352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X