300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Question?

My academy training starts in 1 month, and I'm trying to take every opportunity i can to prepare myself for not only the academy but a career in law enforcement. Right now where i live i have the opportunity to train in Brazilian Jujitsu under (what seems to be) a very accredited instructor.

here are my questions:

1-Is starting a form of self-defense at the same time i am starting the academy a smart thing? I get the feeling that the Defensive Tactics we learn in the Academy are primarily what they would want us to use in academy scenarios. As im sure they want things done their way.

2-I'm really not into the whole competitive martial arts thing, I enjoy martial arts for the self defense purposes, and enjoy scenarios, but things like sparring and kata have a tendancy to bore me. I'd rather learn how to disarm an attacker than win a trophy.

So my question is, with the specific aspect of self-defense that im looking for more than the sport end of martial arts, is Brazilian Jujitsu for me?

I am about 5'8'' 150lbs right now, I'm in good shape, id like to put on some more muscle weight, but ill never be a BIG guy, so i figure to make up for that i need to really know how to use what I've got.

one last thing, if anyone here is up to date with the who's who of the martial arts world, has anyone ever heard of Rommel Dunbar? he is the head master at this place. I'm always a little bit suspicious of martial arts instructors because so many of them have questionable credentials.

Here's what Rommel Dunbar says in his brochure:

2003 International World Master Senior Champion
    2003 Pan American Champion
    2002 American National Champion
    Three Time Pacific National Champion
    Coach of National and International Champions
    5th degree black belt in TKD
    3rd degree black belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
    3rd Degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Certified BJJ referee under CBJJ and International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

looks pretty good to me, anyone heard of him before?

KenpoKev is the best person I know to handle this question, but he might be too busy with his new job to do so right away. My bet is he'd say any prior martial arts proficiency is only a benefit, especially ones emphasizing ground fighting and submission holds, like your choice.

BUT, martial arts require a lot of time to become proficient and there's a lot of technical stuff that's not going to help you at all in any practical way very soon. A skilled martial artist could easily integrate skills in his art(s) with any new DT skills, but if you're just starting out in both at the same time, they're going to conflict and confuse you. Chances are, most of the principles you're going to need in a practical sense from BJJ have already been distilled down to their most useful techniques and incorporated into your DT training.
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

i appreciate the replies. Right now i think im going to wait until I'm out of the academy, I'm self-sponsored so I don't know yet where im going to end up working. I'm hoping to stay in the Inland Empire, but there's no garuntee that i will even live near enough this dojo to train 6 months from now.

Oh, and I'm going through the Ben Clark Training Center in Riverside, CA. It's run by RSO.

Comment

right now i think my first choice would be Redlands PD, dunno why but the thought of working there feels good. Ontario sounds pretty good too, ill definately check it out. A friend of mine was just telling me last night how he has a friend in LA who is a sheriff's deputy who was switching over to Ontario. Maybe one of the same guys?

Comment

yea im really looking for a place in the Inland Empire, the starting pay seems generally the same most places in southern cal, but cost of living seems to be better out here. I was in touch with Hunntington Beach PD, but i duno, cost of living anywhere near there is pretty high. I wonder how Officers get on in some of the more afluent areas?

Comment

YOU, Samuel, are a VERY smart man.

Comment

I would highly suggest you take up practising braz. ju jitsu. Be aware that discipline was developed and focusses primarily on ground work.

I have been practising Ju Jitsu for about a year and I am currently working towards my 4th Kyu (I'm a yellow working on orange belt). I would feel very confident of my abilities to handily take care of a black belt in Karate or one of the non-grappling MA's.

As somebody who is not yet a police officer, I can say taht many of the joint and limb submissions would be very effective in hand to hand combat with a client. Much of Ju Jitsu is fought on the ground, and as a police officer if you're going to the ground, you've already found yourself in a very compromising position.

Many of the wrist and more advanced techniques would be hard for a beginner to apply to a resistent client or uki.

Stick with it and you'll see how effective it can be.

Cheers,
              RyanV
              Choices of the present, will effect options in the future...

Comment

I'll start off telling you a little about me and move onto some different options that may or may not be open to you.

I have studied several different Martial arts/Fighting Systems/Self Defense Combative systems. When I started my LE career I had just quit competing as a Powerlifter due to shoulder injuries. I felt I was strong enough to handle almost anyone. I had a friend introduce me to two guys who were suppossedly training for a Ultimate Fighting Championship type event and they needed a training partner. I went and was'nt all that impressed with their size and they did'nt look very strong at all. After they put me through some of the drills they normally did, it was time to do some sparring(anything except eye & groin attacks). I figured I was about to do the same to them as I had done to a ALL AMERICAN defensive lineman for a national championship football team only a few weeks prior. In about 10 seconds this guy had me on the mat and was choking me. I was devastated and my ego was crushed. For three days I churned those 10 seconds over & over in my mind until I was sick. I limped back into their gym and asked for their help. They gladly openned their door & lives to me; for free as well. I started with Submission Wrestling(Examples: www.2shoot.com , www.extremeselfprotection.com , www.mattfurey.com ) and trained & competeted in Amature/Semi-Pro MMA events. After about two years, the guys who I was training with began having personal issues and soon I had no place to train or learn from.

I then met up with a gentleman who taught DanZan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu as well as mixing in Chinese Long Fist, Muay Thai & Serrada Eskrima(See: www.mettermartialarts.com , www.hjjs.com , www.danzan.com ). A few years later I began studying Tang Soo Do (See: www.worldtangsoodo.com ) to better understand what a liniar martial art was all about. I did'nt stay with Tang Soo Do, but training in
                it for about a year gave me a understand of how many traditional liniar striking Martial Arts worked. I decided also to give Combat Hapkido (See: www.ichf.com )and because it had alot of the same concepts that the japanese based Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu so I was easily able to add things from their system to my repatua(mis-spelled I think. Meaning the list of techniques that I could actually use). I again had issues with my instructor and soon he was no longer teaching Combat Hapkido.

Through all this I continued to train off & on in Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu. I was offered a opportunity to help a friend at his school teach his students(Tang Soo Do & Krav Maga) about grappling & ground fighting. I began doing this and taking some Krav Maga(See: www.kravmaga.com ) classes. I stumbled into a situation where I could do some training for free. This interrested me because I also teach for free; the reason for this is, I don't feel I'm at a level that I deserve to receive payment for my knowledge. Many disagree with my thoughts about my skill level, but I have to live with myself and its what I perceive as fair. I visited this gentelman offering free training in Close Quarter Combatives(See: www.hockscqc.com ) and had a instant bond with this gentelman & the CQC system. I later began training under Hock Hochheim himself for free; In Valdosta,Ga. Steve Watts pays 100% for all Military & Law enforcement training. I'm now a certified instructor in the CQC system and I teach at wwww.statesborokravmaga.com . I've also began studying Brazilian Jui Jitsu( www.straightblastgym.com , www.grappling.us , www.bjj.com.au ) and continuing my CQC training.

Now, with all that said. Here's what I got out of my training. All styles & systems can be made useful, but not all systems work for everyone. Also sometimes the limit of any system you may train in, may actualy be your limitations not so much the limitations of the system. Not all systems are as usful in certain situations as others. Its a good idea to keep a open mind and not allow others opinions & biasis against or for one system or another interfer with your training. In my opinion, which is based on my training experience, Competetion experiences & law enforcement experiences, here is why I have done some of the things I've done.

Some systems claim to be most usful for law enforcement personel. But, many of those systems have practices or tactics that officers can't really use unless in a life or death struggle. Such a punching, kicking ,ect. to the face/head as a first contact tactic. I found Krav Maga, Muay Thai & Chinese Long Fist and Tang Soo Do to use both of these tactics. Now, don't mis understand me. They are both valid in their own ways, but both use striking as their first attack option. As you will learn, once you get into law enforecement, that your supervisors, media & general public will condemn you for walking up to someone, giving him verbal commands and when he fails to comply,you punching/kicking him as a way to take control of that suspect. In law enforcement, you have the deck stacked against you. You have to allow a certain amount of leeway to the people you deal with, even in a combative situation. This applies normally, except in life or death struggles.Meaning, you can't come up to a sceen and begin punching, elbowing, kneeing people just because you are fairly sure that the situation will continue to get uglier even though you are on the sceen. I found that systems such a Submission Wrestling, Danzan-Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Combat Hapkido & Close Quater Combatives are more usful in many of the physical altercations that I have found myself in. Takedowns, joint locks, chokes ,ect. are usually less condemned and most of the time actually more effective and painful to the suspect; allowing for a better chance at pain compliance of the suspect. You will hear arguements ranging from "I don't wanna have to go to the ground" out of the fear of multiple attackers and "I can't do that because I'll get fired and sued" out of fear of training or of retribution for actions taken durning a physical altercation. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide whats best for you, what tactics you feel will assure both your Physical & professional well being and what styles/systems you chose to train in. No matter who you train with or under, there are always people who think they have the best answers for you and how much you can learn from someone that they don't train under. Sparring and competition is'nt what everyone is interrested in. Don't disreguard people based on their interrest. Try & judge people on their actual knowledge & skill level. I've heard people say "That will only work in a ring/cage. You can't use that in the real world". Sometimes that true & sometimes it's not. Every situation & altercation is different. Through Martial arts/Fighting systems I have gained a peace about myself. I find I'm not as on edge around large groups & I don't have to worry about "What if I have to fight this guy" when I get to scenes. Its not a lack of respect for them as it is a calming confidence in myself. If I could give one piece of advice it would be this: Keep a open mind. Don't allow other peoples lack of knowledge, skill, strength of character or imagination to limit you.

I know this has run on for far too long. I hope I have helped in some small way. Good luck....
                War is'nt about who's right, it's about who's left.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11226 users online. 220 members and 11006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X