Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reoccurring back/neck problems

Plain and simple:

What is the best exercise that I can do without hurting my back (either right then or the next morning, etc)?

Today, I went to the doc and I have a Lumbar Strain.

Click here: Lumbar Strain

I am tired of doing exercises at home (treadmill's not so rough, but I get bored) such as squats (I use a wall for balance), crunches, push-ups etc and my back start KILLING ME! I'm ONLY 34!! (Only..right???)

The weather is going to be getting nice & I was considering cycling..?
    I'm not a "runner"...I "trot". LOL

My neck goes out without any given notice too. "Strained muscles" there. Had a physical therapist say it's bec. I have no muscle mass between my shoulder blade area. <sigh>

I have GOT to stay in shape. I HATE feeling frumpy, but get tired of hurting so bad.

Gyms are expensive (not in our budget at the time) and I prefer to work out solo (not interested in all the "socializing" I've experienced before).

Help..?
    Last edited by SERENAs UNIT; 02-18-2004, 07:52 PM.
    "...there is no authority except that which GOD has established...he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement upon themselves."
    ROMANS 13: 1,2 (NIV)

SERENA - it's obvious that you need work on flexibility (trunk and hamstrings), and muscular strength (particularly core body strength).

However, you have an existing back injury (and a neck that "goes out" regularly) - and because of those two issues I would say that you should not get specific advice from people on the internet. Right now you need professional, hands-on advice (from a physical therapist at a rehab center). They can develop a safe, well-structured program - both short-term (to help you recover from your current injury), and long-term (to help you minimize the chances of re-injury).

Don't know about insurances, and which plans pay for what services. If your insurance doesn't pay for it, I know that money may be an issue for you. The one GOOD thing about exercise programs is that it isn't rocket science - the learning curve is pretty short.

If you are put on a program specific to your needs, educated regarding safe exercise technique, and closely supervised until you know what you're doing, you should be able to find your way through this current injury and then continue on alone.

Again, getting advice on the internet about minor (but painful) injuries like (eg) shin splints is one thing. But when you are trying to work through reoccuring injuries to the back and neck, you need hands-on advice and guidance. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you.

I agree.
      "...there is no authority except that which GOD has established...he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement upon themselves."

Comment

Serena:Monday afternoon during a SWAT class,I messed my back up. While sprinting in full battle gear,I guess I stepped/turned/twisted/whatever wrong and went to my knees at the end of the course. I went to the ER and was X rayed and found out I have a compression. Luckily,my vertabrae are not touching but I have lost some cartilidge between 2 of them in my lower back. My suggestion is to go to the doctor NOW,before it is something that can't be repaired. If I would have sucked it up and kept going,there is no telling what shape I'd be in now. Get it looked at as soon as possible.
        If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

((I messed up by starting a new thread...))
          Here's my post:

Man, Dixon...I'm soo sorry to hear you hurt yourself like that.

Yeah, I don't believe in "no pain, no gain" crap. When your body hurts, it MAY be trying to tell ya something

Anyway, I went to the doc yesterday.

My back's just Lumbar Strain.

I start Physical Therapy next week. He put me on pain pills, but they're not helping too much. (Going to call tomorrow about that).

When I DO start a work-out program (whether it be at home OR at a gym) I WILL get major counseling first.

God Bless ya hon...take care of yourself.

Comment

A lot of guys at my place go to a chiropractor.

I've got a nagging lower back ache myself, but I'm scared to go to one of those guys. I've heard that they can mess you up a lot worse.

Comment

I would take blind advice off the Internet ANYTIME, before going to any chiropractor And people with a lifetime in fitness like KRJ are likely much better sources of info than the vast majority of "certified trainers" in person, for reasons I've explained on some old threads.

Unfortunately, back training is probably one of the most difficult areas to do at home instead of the gym. You could do it, but a lot of the exercises you'd have to do at home are more stressful TO your back than the machines (and pulleys) you'd use in a gym. Generally, stay away from exercises where you have to bend over from the waist and look for movements you can do where your chest is supported against some kind of pad.

Let a licensed physical therapist (not a "certified personal trainer") show you how to stretch and how NOT to stretch your back and legs. A professional massage might also help by relaxing lumbar areas that are prone to seize-up if they're chronically fatigued or "tight" or whatever.

Occasionally, spinal manipulation helps with that type of thing too, but I'd feel much better having an osteopath or physical therapist do it than any chiropractor. It's just that it's very difficult finding someone to manipulate your back once or twice without trying to suck you into "regular chiropractic care" and that whole counterculture of pseudoscientific nonsense they pass off as "medicine".
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10101 users online. 384 members and 9717 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X