Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urine test

Hey guys.

I am at the medical stage of application and was required to take a urine test. I was later informed that they discover protein in my urine. I immediately informed the doc that I was on protein supplements, but was by no means intaking excessive amounts. He said that should have no impact and that my kidney should filter out all protein. Now I have to undergo some testing which will only make the already lengthy testing process longer. As well I am pretty concerned that I might have damaged my kidneys with creatine/protein intake. Any insight or similar experiences?
    "I saw a fat woman wearing a sweatshirt with 'Guess' on it. I said, 'Thyroid problem?'" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Sam - a few thoughts:

1. If you go back and read some of the old posts from the H&F Section, you will see that protein intake (through both diet and supplements) has been covered quite a bit. You may want to go back and read some of them - and once you DO you will find that there are varying trains of thought on how much is enough (and how much is too much) protein.

It's predictable that there would be differing opinions, because there simply is not any universal consensus among health and nutrition organizations re: these same issues.

2. The American Dietetic Associations' current daily protein recommendations are that people who participate primarily in strength development activities should consume 1.6-1.7g/kg of body weight (ie. if you weigh 180 pounds - or 82 kg - you should be consuming about 140g of protein each day). Most people in the United States (even those who are vegetarians) generally consume more than enough protein to meet these requirements.

3. I discourage protein supplements for two reasons. The first is listed above - we eat enough already in our diets. Taking large amounts of these supplements COULD lead to dehydration, loss of urinary calcium, weight gain, and kidney and liver stress.

4. The biggest concerns about taking protein supplements (as well as creatine) are the unknowns:

a) What the upper threshold is (ie. how much is TOO much)

b) What the long term effects of consuming high levels are on the body (particularly the kidneys)

c) Because the supplement industry is unregulated there is no guarantee of anything. This includes claims made, that labels are correct, that all ingredients in the bottle (both active and inactive) are listed and in the percentages indicated etc. etc.

5. The thing about our bodies is that (irrespective of all the manipulation we place upon them in misguided attempts to improve performance) our body will ultimately do what evolution has trained it to do. When we consume more protein than we need our body dutifully dismantles the rest, uses what it can for energy, and then converts the rest to body fat for storage.

The PROBLEM with that process (aside from extra body fat) is that this whole "dismantling thing" places an extra burden on the kidneys.

For those (and this is where your question starts to come in) who have compromised kidneys already, this increased protein intake could be a precursor to much more serious problems.

For those of us who are generally in good health (including kidney health), higher than recommended protein intake in all probability will not cause us long-term physical damage. But I DO want to point out that one of the first therapies re: those diagnosed with kidney stones and/or kidney disease is to lower an individuals' protein intake.

Some suggestions for now:

1. If you haven't already, stop taking protein supplements and lower your overall protein intake

2. Drink water regularly throughout the day

3. Lower your overall fat intake and up your carbohydrate intake

4. Keep working out - a strong cardiovascular system will help to support not only your heart health, but also your overall kidney health

5. Wait and see what the test results say. The very strong odds (assuming that you do not have diagnosed/undiagnosed diabetes or high blood pressure - the two leading causes of kidney disease) are that you have not incurred any long-term damage to your kidneys or overall health.

Please let us know when you find out. Good luck.
    Last edited by krj; 02-07-2004, 09:34 AM.

Comment

creatine's not protein based is it? it probably wouldn't have anything to do with your situatiion
      We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Reb - creatine is a nitrogen-containing compound that combines with phosphate (which in turn creates a high-energy compound called creatine phosphate or phosphocreatine).

The theory behind it is that the more creatine phosphate in the muscles, the higher the intensity at which an athlete can train.

Creatine use and "protein in the urine" shouldn't be tied together. However, his concern re: kidney health, would also hold true for creatine use.

Comment

Thanks for the reply krj. I really do appreciate your post. I underwent a thorough re-test which came back completely negative of any protein and showed normal kidney and liver fuction. So, the first test was a "false postive finding" meaning that it was inaccurate. The doctor did recommend that before any future urine tests that I discontinue all supplements and alot of water, just to avoid posible problems.

Again thanks for the info/concern krj.

SAM
          "I saw a fat woman wearing a sweatshirt with 'Guess' on it. I said, 'Thyroid problem?'" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Sam - GREAT NEWS!! Best of luck with the rest of the application process!

I have a "Post Script" to your experience (and this is NOT meant as a criticism - just want to throw it out there because I think it's good advice).

I want to strongly suggest that if anyone here ever has any serious health concerns, that they don't just take the advice of people on an internet forum (even if one of those people is ME ).

Do other research on the 'net to get additional info, or suck it up and go to the doctor.

This forum is a good place to start when it comes to getting decent information, but I just don't want y'all to use it as your ONLY source - particularly when dealing with issues as important as your health.
            Last edited by krj; 02-13-2004, 08:31 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9839 users online. 290 members and 9549 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X