300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting In Shape after Neck Surgery

I was in pretty good shape before a serious neck injury and surgery left me unable to lift weights and do any sit uups etc for quite a while. We like to walk and weather permitting do 3 or so miles a day.
    All the weight I gained is around my gut so what can I do to loose about 60 lbs and I don't mean diet I need lifestyle exercise change if anyone can help. I am 6'7" and now weigh 285 and want down to 225
    I now have a 46 waist and want no bigger then a 42

Re: Getting In Shape after Neck Surgery

Originally posted by Bodie
    I was in pretty good shape before a serious neck injury and surgery left me unable to lift weights and do any sit uups etc for quite a while. We like to walk and weather permitting do 3 or so miles a day.
    All the weight I gained is around my gut so what can I do to loose about 60 lbs and I don't mean diet I need lifestyle exercise change if anyone can help. I am 6'7" and now weigh 285 and want down to 225
    I now have a 46 waist and want no bigger then a 42
    Bodie, since you have had a "serious neck injury" I wouldn't recommend that you take any specific exercise or lifestyle advice from anyone over the internet. Working with someone who has had a serious injury is/should be a "hands on" deal. I'll throw out some basic suggestions though for you to consider:

1. Get a medical release from your doctor before you increase the intensity of your exercise workload (ie. adding strength training to your current walking program). And listen to him closely re: his advice about what you should (and should not) be doing.

2. Pay attention to what is happening to your body when/if you start lifting again - pain is never, EVER a good sign.

3. Go slowly; Warm up long; Keep the weights lighter than you were lifting prior to your injury; Pay VERY close attention to safe lifting technique; Cool down long; Don't lift weights more than three times a week.

4. Exercise in combination with decreased calorie consumption will produce the best long-term weight loss results. It takes about 3600 calories to lose one pound of fat (walking a mile burns about 100 calories). Basically, in order to lose weight (fat weight) you need to consistantly burn more calories daily than you take in.

5. Forget the junk food - eat lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods. Eat lean meats and fish (but cut down on red meat). Stay away from saturated fats as much as possible (ie. those that stay solid at room temperature - butter, margarine, mayonnaise etc.).

And keep up the walking - it will help to burn calories, but will also help keep your risk for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease under control.

Don't know if I answered your questions or not. Please post again, if not!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17817 users online. 453 members and 17364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X