300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body for Life

Has any one read about this program or even done it? It seems prety sound nutritionally (except for the fact they push the EAS products on you) and physically.

Thanks,

Monty
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Welpe,
    I did this back when I first started loosing weight. I lost 35lbs or so in two months of trying the program. It helped me get started and then when I got into Army ROTC I lost the rest of the weight (I went from 275 to 185. Its a good program to try and it really helped me get started. Granted I've found some problems with the program now that I'm trying to build muscle, but its a good start. By the way are you the same Welpe from WPG's forums? I'm KevinIUB.
    "Long hours, hard work, but hey, at least the pay sucks."

Comment

Hey Kevin! Yup, same Welpe. I guess we both get around on the 'Net.

If you don't mind my asking, what problems specifically did you run into while doing the program? As I said, it seems pretty sound and I like the fact that Bill Phillips emphasizes the fact it's a life time change in the book.

I picked up the book at the library today and I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot.

Just in the last couple of days, I stopped drinking regluar soda and tried some diet soda. It's not as bad as I remember it.

Thanks,

Monty
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I haven't read the book but I glanced around their website:
        www.bodyforlife.com

A few thoughts:

1. I think this is the guy who became famous because he was/is Oprah Winfreys' personal trainer

2. Don't believe in the legitimacy of the photographs

3. I personally don't agree with the breakdowns they have for protein and carbohyrdates (I think that there should be a greater emphasis on carbs and less on protein. But his suggestions on the site are not outrageous).

4. I would NOT recommend this regime to anyone who has not engaged in regular exercise for a long period of time for a few reasons:

a) This workout is NOT a gradual, progressive exercise program. It discusses alternating strength and cardio workouts for six successive days, and then resting on the 7th. It says to weight train INTENSELY (in this case meaning 5 sets of each exercise, with each set lowering the number of reps and increasing the amount of weight). For beginners who attempt to work at this level early on, they are setting themselves up for failure and (possibly) injuries.

b) The program does not discuss health screenings or the need to get a medical clearance prior to participating in this program

c) The program does not discuss safe exercise practices, lifting technique, injury prevention and/or identification

5. You're correct - big push on supplements

6. The workout itself (if you are already in semi-decent shape) seems fine (choices of exercises, workout record, intensity level etc.)

Bottom line (IMO) is that MANY people who are on this forum are young, healthy and in moderate-very good shape. And for them the workout is probably fine, and will help to kick-start them into a regular workout if that's what they're looking for.

For those on this forum who are a little older, have a few health issues (or at least "health risk factors"), and have not worked out regularly for a number of years - I would consider this workout schedule questionable without supervision.

And for the millions of middle-aged - old ladies who are gonna try this program because of the "Oprah" connection", I think the dude does them a real disservice.
        Last edited by krj; 01-31-2004, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the post, krj. I appreciate you checking out the website and giving your input. I'm only 20 and in OK shape, so I might consider trying the program any ways.

Thanks,

Monty

Comment

Hey no problem - I deal with people of ALL ages and fitness levels every day (from very fit to very unfit, your age to seniors). So the safety stuff is always there.

You're young - go for it. Seems like a great way to kickstart you into a regular workout routine. Good luck!

Comment

The book is better then the website.

As for the pictures and all of that being legit, I don't know but It's not hard to lose weight and gain muscle when you use a little thing known as "effort".

Comment

I agree with the other posts. GO FOR IT since you are in a reasonable amount of shape!!! I did it for a couple months just to jump-start my body about a year ago.

I also work at GNC (hopefully not for too much longer as I hope to be hired for the March academy) and am 1 of only 3 people who work there. A lot of our customers are on Body-for-Life or something similar and many of them have shown great success when they have followed through with it.

The key to any workout is consistency, effort, and your overall nutrition. Mostly any workout plan, as long as you're consistent and put in the time and effort will produce positive results (of some kind).

I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by CO Starks
                  It's not hard to lose weight and gain muscle when you use a little thing known as "effort".
                  CO - I agree with you completely. Although I'm not compulsive about it, I can't IMAGINE living my life without decent food and regular exercise.

But only about 20% of American adults exercise often enough and at an intensity level high enough to positively impact their health and fitness levels. Obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease - all prevalent because Americans eat the wrong foods and live inactive lives.

People KNOW what they SHOULD be doing to improve their health and fitness, but they (mostly) don't translate that knowledge into practice.

I've been around this stuff for a long time - and frankly all the diets, potions, lotions, machines, supplements, videos, motivational speakers, exercise "gurus" and books bore the crap out of me. It's all just white noise to me now - because I know that something ELSE new will come onto the market in another few months (that will make somebody with muscles and a winning smile a LOT of money). And the rest of us will (for the most part) be exactly the same when we come out at the other end.

I can't imagine NOT exercising. But for many people (the vast majority of adults in fact), they can't imagine what it's like to BE exercising regularly. Part of my job is to be non-judgemental, and to help people find that "whatever-it-is" that motivates them to action.

If one book, or video or website (assuming that the program they are espousing seems relatively safe) motivates someone to make an ATTEMPT at improving their lifestyle, then I am all for it.

Comment

Very well put krj!!!

Comment

I've heard about the training being intense from the get go and lack of a warm-up prior to hitting the weights before and quite frankly if the book is for beginners (who else would be buying it?) It ought to be written for them too.

I think EAS supplements are a rip.

However:

I like the protein/carb ratio.

I think the book is better than atkins as the diet is not a diet but a much more realistic way to eat.

Comment

Wow, look at the responses! Lots of information to assimilate!

A bit more about me:

I used to play high school football and was in great shape (had a few extra pounds, but I was very athletic, fairly fast and strong). Unfortunately, I sustained a knee injury and that sidelined me the rest of my career. I haven't been super active the last couple of years. My activities include biking, swimming and some free weights. Unfortunately, not with any regularity.

The reason I'm looking for a program akin to BFL is that I like regimentation. If I have a long term plan, something I can read and stick to, I'll be much better in the long run.

I will be honest, I did read the Atkin's book and I was almost ready to go on it. Then I read the huge Atkins thread on here, so I kind of changed my mind. I figured there had to be a better way. BFL seems like it might be the ticket for me.

Now, if you fine folks don't mind me asking more questions. I'm 5' 10", 235 lbs right now (don't know what my body fat percentage is). My cholesterol, etc are all great. I just had the bloodwork done, I'm way under the charts as far as heart attack and stroke risk goes. I figured a goal weight of roughly 185 lbs would be reasonable (Army's max weight at 5' 10" is 189 lbs) and I don't mind if it takes longer than 12 weeks to achieve the goal, just as long as I'm progressing.

krj, you said you would add more carbohydrates to the BFL menu. About how much more, and would the additional carbs facilitate weight loss?

JR, what would you recommend for warming up before lifting? Obviously some stretching, but what else?

Thanks for the information every one, I appreciate it.

Monty

Comment

Just a few warum up sets for the first exercise on the body part your working. Stretching cold is a waste of time and is dangerous so I strectch during the working sets of an exercise and after the work out is over.

Some people do their cardio first as a warm-up and I've been running first as I'm focusing on it slightly more than lifting right now but remember that cardio burns the muscle glycogen needed for the weights so if they are the priority then do them first.

Don't pay attention to those height/weight charts as they do not ake inaccount muscle mass. Use a body fat test or just the plain ole I like my self in the mirror test.
                          Last edited by JRT6; 02-01-2004, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Welpe - take a look at this site. It's a joint position paper put out by the American Dietetic Association, Dieticians of Canada and the American College of Sports Medicine.

http://www.eatright.org/Public/Other/index_adap1200.cfm

It speaks to your questions re: amounts/day for carbohydrates, protein and fat.

There is some disagreement on not only this forum (but also among other nutrition and health professionals re: the appropriate amount of protein per day (particularly for athletes).

My opinion is similar to those on the above website - that the greatest portion of your diet should come from complex carbohydrate sources (somewhere in the 50-60% range). This is to maintain and replenish muscle glycogen stores during and after workouts.

That means approx. 20-25% of your diet comes from lean protein sources, and 20-25% comes from fat (primarily unsaturated fat).

What IS important to know is that muscle development comes from overloading them (ie. making them perform work harder than they are used to) - as opposed to any one nutritional source. Translation - protein doesn't build muscle - work builds muscle.

1. Overload muscles

2. Rest in between workouts will help to repair microscopic damage done to muscles/joints/connective tissues (tendons and ligaments) and will also serve to increase muscle strength/size

3. Lots of complex carbohydrates, smaller (but significant) amounts of protein and fat, and adequate hydration, will all help to provide you with the energy and efficiency to make the most of your workouts

With regards to your weight-loss question: carbs won't "facilitate" weight loss. Weight loss is strictly a numbers game - if you want to lose weight you have to take in less calories than you burn on a daily basis.

You have to use up 3600 calories to lose one pound of fat. You should be using up that many calories through a combination of:

a) increasing the number of calories you burn each day (through exercise)

b) decreasing the number of calories you consume each day

If it was as easy as it sounds on paper we'd all be thin, eh?

No ONE nutrient source is the bad guy - you'll hear about low fat diets, low carb diets, high protein diets etc. etc. (etc.). You NEED each one of these nutrients in adequate supplies each day in order to stay healthy, so don't buy into any of 'em.

Just exercise more and eat less.

Comment

One other thing about diet and excersize. I was diagnosed a few years ago as Major Depressive and Intermittant explosive disorder (I think 99% of people in the world are just like me but oh well). Ever since getting back into lifting, running and eating right I have not, in 10 months shown ONE symptom.

That's the proof that diet and excersize is extremely important for not only physical health, but mental health as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12539 users online. 334 members and 12205 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X