300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get cramps out of the middle of nowhere, need some advice

i've always had a problem of getting cramps for no reason, usually in my feet, and usually when i lay down to go to sleep at night. i drink plenty of water and eat a good bit of sodium and sugars in my diet to try and stop it, but i usually get it at least once a week. it won't matter if i worked out, did strenuous work, or just laid around all day, it just happens. any thoughts?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Here's a couple of sites you can try:

http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp...ng+Of+The+Foot
    It lists the three major categories of foot cramps and gives a brief description of each type. Please be advised that I am not personally recommending the "stuff" they're selling - just suggesting the site for basic info

Another site to look at:
    http://www.spma.net/cramp.htm
    This site talks specifically about foot cramps in a swimming environment (but provides info and suggestions that could be applied to your situation on land)

Hope they'll give you some insight - unfortunately I don't really know any more about foot cramps than the basic info on these sites.

It's probably something minor and easily remedied, but the one thing I WOULD put to you is that if the suggestions these sites make (re: nutrition, hydration, stretching, mineral loss etc.) DON'T work (or the cramps get worse) take your feet to the doctor and get the condition evaluated.

By the way - I saw your post in the Fatigue thread. If I were YOU I'd duck and run after trash-talking the Pilates - after all, you ARE the one complaining about your uh...CRAMPS
    Last edited by krj; 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM.

Comment

When I had the same problem, usually in my foot or "charlie horses" in my calves, i was told that it can sometimes be caused by a potassium deficiency and to eat bananas. It worked for me. Anyways, my 2 cents

Comment

If you say you're not deficient in potassium and fluids, then it's probably related to something you do during the day. For example, construction workers get plantar cramps from walking on rebar all day. A deep foot massage will probably help. The only other thing I can think of is wearing boots that are too loose over the top of the foot or too unsupportive under the arch. I used to spend a few minutes explaining the right way and the wrong way to lace up skates when I taught skating, and one problem I noticed was that people who left too much slack in the laces over the top of the foot got cramps in the plantar muscles under their soles. If that isn't it, maybe an arch insert will help. I'd bet it's a footwear or activity related issue or some combination thereof.
        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Seriously ??? Go to your family Doctor Now and EXPLAIN what has been going on. Some cramps are the result of nerve damage or even a spinal cord being pinched. I am a living example. Had cramps for no reason that kept getting worse and was even starting to stumble and drop things. END result surgery that removed two discs and a vertbrae and in your line of work it's like playing football one quarter a month with some of the pushing and shoving and twisting and turning that can go on. Some symptoms may not show uo for weeks or months after the intial incident.
          I am very serious about YOU CALLING DOCTOR TODAY and lets us know here what you find out.

Comment

Prowriter is right and may I add that you're arches may be falling which is not good. A foot doctor who specializes in sports and orthotics can tell you. I can't say enough about how much my orthotics and achilies tendon stretcher have helped me. If you get orthotics yoour gonna need good "stability" shoes like the Asics 2090. If you don't get or need orthotics and you have pronation and supination issues you'll probably need motion control shoes.

Comment

A lack of magnesium has been associated with muscle cramps,spasms tremors. Additionaly cramps may result as of circulation issues. So go visit to the doc mate.

Comment

okay, i'll mention in to the doc next time i go, it's just mainly in my foot. doc told me before in a physical that i've got flat feet, not totally flat but more than the regular. they help me run helluva fast, but shoes can be uncomfortable after a long time in em. potassium doesn't help, i eat bananas and be sure to get enough vitamins and i still sometimes get em.

a side note on the circulation issue, i used to get pain in my legs A LOT when i was younger and still do every couple months get a little, i think i got it when i was younger b/c i used to slide on my knees during daycare cuz that was the fun thing to do for some odd reason. anyways, is the pain in the legs normal? it's sorta like a headache, just sorta all around and in no specific place

Comment

anyways, is the pain in the legs normal? it's sorta like a headache, just sorta all around and in no specific place

No...why would pain in your legs be normal? I used to have pain in my legs too, that came from disk damage in my low back occasionally exerting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I see a chiropractor and I think making the decision to see him was the best thing I could possibly do for my health; pain is completely gone and he helps me with other areas of health too. I get cramps in my feet sometimes too, sometimes for no reason and sometimes I get them if my feet are cold. I just got orthotics to wear in my shoes last month...I think they'll really help.
                  "In our Creator we trust; all others we run NCIC."

Comment

Pain could be caused by Perpheral Artery disease which is like angina of the legs(pain in the legs); associated to athersclersosis (narrowing of the blood vessels). Generally occuring in patients 40+ with a history of smoking.

Inteded as information only, not as a diagnosis allways see your doctor
                    Last edited by Streetzor; 02-26-2004, 06:46 PM.

Comment

i dont know the medical thoughts on this but if it isnt your back or some nerve damage it could be your vitamin c. i used to have the same trouble and a guy who had seen a doctor about it told me to increase my vit. c and it seems to have taken care of it.

Comment

Sounds like poor blood circulation to me. What have your doctor said?

Comment

i'm strong as an ox and stubborn as a mule, haven't been to the doc in a while, i'll get around to it sometime, usually get allergies during the summer

Comment

I have a high arch and get crampy feet when I wear shoes without arch support .....sometimes the weather gets them a little crampy too. I saw a podiatrist once and he gave ne some exercises to do to prevent and also help foot muscles relax. Simple tip-toeing up and down and smooth calf stretches (toes up) help me. DONT BOUNCE!!!!! I also get a hand towel, place it on the floor (NOT CARPET), sit in a chair with feet on top of the towel and scrunch it with my toes, then try to un-scrunch it back out. I also have one of those paraffin wax things that I soak my feet in.....feels so awesome when they are sore from waering bad shoes or just from weather stuff.

GO TO THE DOCTOR! It may as simple as arch supports or it may be a pinched nerve thing....or anything else. Don't wait. Write evrything down so you dont forget anything when you talk to the doc...any diabetes in your family....if so, mention that.

I dont want to scare you, but dont mess with the footsies.....they already take enough abuse as it is..they carry all of our weight, get smooshed into ill fitting shoes.....etc..etc..!

Good luck! Let us know how things go.
                            "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
                            Davy Crockett

Comment

actually during my last physical doc told me i was a little more flat flooted that the usual person

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10497 users online. 394 members and 10103 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X