300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatigue

To prepare myself for the Academy in April, I have started a fairly rigorous work out schedule (for me). It looks something like this:

Before work:
    Half an hour of Pilates

After work:
    Run 2 miles (treadmill)
    Pushups
    5 sets of 10 squat jumps

Granted, I've only been at it for about a week, but I'm finding that I get extremely fatigued about two hours after my workout. I've been running prior to this, but not on a consistent basis. I'm not sure if it's simply my body acclimating to the work, or something else. I'm curious to find out if anyone else had had this problem before and if so whether or not it disappears with time and consistent working out.

Thank you!
    Dani

Dani - some thoughts on what you're experiencing:

1. It DOES take a certain amount of time for your body (and your brain) to acclimate and get used to regular physical activity. That amount of time varies usually from about a month to a couple of months for someone to really begin to feel that exercising is becoming just another part of their regular daily routine.

2. Exercising EVERY day is not a good idea. People who are physically active are constantly in a state of breakdown and repair. When you exercise miscroscopic tears to body tissue occurs (tears to muscles, bones, connective tissue - the breakdown part). Appropriate nutrition and rest help to do the other part of the equation (the building and repairing).

How much time you need off between exercise sessions is dependant on a lot of things - among them: the intensity of your workouts, your fitness level now, and the ability of your body to adapt to increasing workloads.

For someone who is just beginning to participate in a consistant exercise program, I would suggest that you take at least two non-consecutive days off a week and do nothing.

Forget entirely about "fitness" and either take it easy altogether and do non-physical stuff, or participate in other physical activities that are not part of your structured "work"outs (eg. play frisbee with your dog, canoe on the lake, play a pickup football game etc.). The only criteria on your days off? Fun. Any fitness benefits are a bonus.

The important thing to know about this whole breakdown/repair deal is that it is integral to building muscle, becoming physically fit, and staying injury free - and you have to give your body ample time to go through this process.

3. Don't overlook the importance of good nutrition. I know I've said it before but here goes again Mostly complex carbohydrates to fuel your activities, some lean protein and some fat.

Specifically with regards to feeling tired a couple of hours after your workouts - try eating a combination of protein and complex carbs as soon as you can stomache it after your workouts (eg. turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread). Protein to help the building process right away, and carbs to replace some of the energy stores you may have used up during your workout. You're actually not really doing anything long enough right now to deplete energy stores completely, but eating a protein/carb combination (along with lots of water) may really help prevent that run-down feeling you're getting after your workouts.

Also try a nap . Seriously - after running (and especially in the summer) I come home from a run and drink, eat, shower and sleep in that order whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

i'm only 20, so i'll do the snickering here. Pilates??? you can't wear a dress while in uniform just playin, i've seen the advertisements, some of it looks tough
      We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Fatigue

Thanks for the suggestions, krg, it's all great advice. I certainly wasn't taking into account the frequency of my work outs, just the intensity. I've been trying to clean up my diet as well, but sometimes the pizza just calls..... The nap sounds wonderful, though. I'm planning on taking one day this weekend to do nothing but sleep.

As for the Pilates, rebbryan, I must say that don't knock it until you try it. The only reason I got them in the first place was becuase I got sucked into that infomercial one day when I was home sick (no cable). There are parts that are really easy, but after an hour of it you really can feel the workout. Plus, my stomach has never looked better.

Dani

Comment

I would have laughed at Pilates too, until the Physical Therapy and Rehab guys I know said that is no better workout for your abs and back. I sometimes feel very silly with my big blue exercise ball, but every workout kicks my rear. Pilates may have more women that participate, but if you do the workout correctly, you will be hurting before it's over.

That being said, I don't mention to the guys when we are at the shooting range that I do Pilates. I don't mention that I post responses on an internet chat board either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8825 users online. 251 members and 8574 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X