Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work habits relating to food, health and fitness.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work habits relating to food, health and fitness.

While working, is it easier for you and those you work with to eat out or do you pack your meals and snacks? Usually, do you even really have time to pack food and haul it around for a shift (or leave it in a fridge somewhere and then have to go get it?)

How common is tobacco use among LEOs? In a rural area like around here, basically everyone uses smokeless tobacco and there are a few smokers. Departments seem to be more willing to allow officers time to work out on duty. Is this true where you are? Is it even feasible depending on the department and call volume?

If you don't smoke, are you ever concerned about entering areas where there is heavy smoking, such as a complainant's home where everything is literally stained brown and there is a haze inside?

Work habits relating to food, health and fitness.

Much easier to pack healthy food. You can eat while en route to calls if need be, plus it's cheaper.

Around here, few officers use tobacco. Out of roughly 155 currently working for us, one is a daily smoker, three or four more have a cigarette occasionally and a few of us enjoy cigars anywhere from a couple times a year to maybe once a week. Hardly anyone dips.

I won't hesitate to tell someone that I'm not going into their house because of smoke and ask them to step outside if they want to talk with me.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
      Much easier to pack healthy food. You can eat while en route to calls if need be, plus it's cheaper.

Around here, few officers use tobacco. Out of roughly 155 currently working for us, one is a daily smoker, three or four more have a cigarette occasionally and a few of us enjoy cigars anywhere from a couple times a year to maybe once a week. Hardly anyone dips.

I won't hesitate to tell someone that I'm not going into their house because of smoke and ask them to step outside if they want to talk with me.
      Thank you for the informative reply. Would this be appropriate in the general LE discussion since it might see more traffic?

Comment

I like to bring food when I can, but usually eat out. During a 12 hour shift, Im usually eating twice, and it can get expensive. Eating cheap usually means junk, so even 20 bucks a shift adds up over month! The big problem with packing food is my laziness to go shopping and do it. I could, but on my days off I find better things to do than that. The other problem with food is like ateamer said. Alot of the time you have to eat around calls. Some places give you an alotted time to be out of service and eat, we dont. You eat when, where and for however long you want, but you are still in service. That means portable radio on the table, and plenty of dine and dashes, only to return later to pay the tab.

Not many cigarette smokers here. I like a chew of beech nut of redman sometimes. Dip is pretty common though. Not quite as common as the military, but far more common than amongst the general public.

As far as avoiding second hand smoke...... Get used to it. Cigarettes, stale beer and cat p!$$ seem to be the common smells in most of the places I frequent. Throw in some decomp, and you have the aroma of police work. None of that bothers me... Bed bugs however those will keep me outside!!!

As for excerise on duty..... not going to happen.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Antioxidants are essential substances which contribute to benefits of moringa.
          In fact, they are well-known for their incredible effects on fighting against free radicals inside the body system.
          It is easy for high content of free radicals to trigger oxidative stress.
          It is one of the most common deciding factors which may cause chronic issues such as cardiovascular disease or type 2 diabetes
          There are numerous types of antioxidant substances in moringa leaves
          Beside vitamin C and beta-carotene, quercetin and chlorogenic acid are telling examples of antioxidants in moringa.
          While quercetin may reduce blood pressure, chlorogenic acid can lead to blood sugar regulation
          Women participated in a study and moringa leaves could regulate blood antioxidant levels
          By lowering oxidation, moringa leaf extract can lengthen the shelf life of meat
          As a result, it is able to act as a food preservative.
          Antioxidants play an important role in inhibiting and scavenging free radicals, thus providing protection to human against infections and degenerative diseases. Current research is now directed towards natural antioxidants originated from plants due to safe therapeutics. Moringa oleifera is used in Indian traditional medicine for a wide range of various ailments. To understand the mechanism of pharmacological actions, antioxidant properties of the Moringa oleifera leaf extracts were tested in two stages of maturity using standard in vitro models. The successive aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera exhibited strong scavenging effect on 2, 2-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH) free radical, superoxide, nitric oxide radical and inhibition of lipid per oxidation. The free radical scavenging effect of Moringa oleifera leaf extract was comparable with that of the reference antioxidants. The data obtained in the present study suggests that the extracts of Moringa oleifera both mature and tender leaves have potent antioxidant activity against free radicals, prevent oxidative damage to major biomolecules and afford significant protection against oxidative damage.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf020444+
          https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19904611
          https://wikihomenutrition.com/moringa-health-benefits/
          http://www.scielo.org.ar/pdf/phyton/v82n2/v82n2a06.pdf

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13711 users online. 456 members and 13255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X