300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training mask

Anyone currently using one? Or know of someone who is?

Saw an ad showing some pro athletes using them. Sounds like a gimmick to me.

My partner uses one. He seems to like it. I think that the premise is that it less less air through so that it simulates working out at a higher altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

That's my understanding.

Comment

I read an article saying the mask is a gimmick. In order to really benefit from high altitude training, you have to actually train in high altitude, the mask does not do that.

If Labron James, Dwayne Wade, and Marshawn Lynch use the mask, then it must work right?

Comment

I recently bought one a week ago and have used it a couple times. As someone who has never been to a "high altitude" environment, I'm not sure if it simulates that, even though that's the claim.

Even if it doesn't simulate that claim exactly, it certainly restricts your breathing. For me, this has made me focus a lot more on my oxygen intake and how to regulate my breathing. It's definitely an interesting tool and I wouldn't classify it as a gimmick. I'll report back in a few more weeks after I use it some more. I've used it for both cardio endurance and high intensity interval training.

Comment

The body responds to high altitude by producing more hemoglobin, increasing the blood's oxygen carrying capacity. I don't see any such claims on the Training Mask website. Instead the company claims the device strengthens the diaphragm muscles and stretches out the lungs, increasing surface area of the the alveoli. Lung capacity is measurable but I don't see any before and after figures.

Comment

Training mask

Ran everyday for a week., just to get in shape for the police recruits. Just 5 days. 2miles every morning. The day came, and I ended up running circles around everyone that was there. They was laughing at first when I walked up with it and using my breathing techniques and you could hear the mask. But I finished that mile and a half first b4 everyone and had the best agility test results. It changes your life.

Last edited by Stephaunc001; 03-28-2016, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephaunc001 View Post
                Rain everyday for a week., just to get in shape for the police recruits. Just 5 days. 2miles every morning. The day came, and I ended up running circles around everyone that was there. They was laughing at first when I walked up with it and using my breathing techniques and you could hear the mask. But I finished that mile and a half first b4 everyone and had the best agility test results. It changes your life.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Rain everyday for a week., just to get in shape for the police recruits. Just 5 days. 2miles every morning. The day came, and I ended up running circles around everyone that was there. They was laughing at first when I walked up with it and using my breathing techniques and you could hear the mask. But I finished that mile and a half first b4 everyone and had the best agility test results. It changes your life.

That gives you a higher pay rate, right?
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    That gives you a higher pay rate, right?
                    No. Just helps you past the agility test with better results.

Comment

No. Just helps you past the agility test with better results.
                      That's like ****ing yourself while wearing a dark suit - gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices.

I am all for pushing yourself and getting better, but don't let yourself think that a faster PAT time will make any difference in hiring. It's a pass/fail test.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Training mask

It's not about the hiring, it's about the results. Getting prepared in a shorter time frame and the ability to be able to pass the test if your not used to running long distance. Which will come in handy once you do pass and get in. It's like knowing you can get better but choosing to fail because you know pretty well your not gonna make it around the track.

-Stay Self Motivated
                        -It Works
                        -Better Results are always good
                        -It's a personal thing

Comment

So you are bad enough shape that a week of training makes a significant improvement in your run time.

The brutal truth is you should not be handing out health advice in the web. Its like a 300 pound guy telling someone needing to drop a "few" pounds how to drop weigh "properly." He has no perspective or working knowledge of the subject and worse doesn't even know it. Because anything works for the untrained and out of shape.

To answer the original question it could help bit is no magic pill. It probably comes into play for people way out of the normal gym goers league. There is no supplement or device that replaces good programming, proper application of the basics,, and proper nutrition.

If you have not invested in those for quiet some time start there and hang out in that zone for a few solid years to get perspective and when you apply a tool like this you will have a realistic way to measure its effectiveness.

Otherwise you are never going to really know what works or why and will most likely spend more money and time to get lesser results.
                          Last edited by NORCOCOP; 03-28-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                            So you are bad enough shape that a week of training makes a significant improvement in your run time.

The brutal truth is you should not be handing out health advice in the web. Its like a 300 pound guy telling someone needing to drop a "few" pounds how to drop weigh "properly." He has no perspective or working knowledge of the subject and worse doesn't even know it. Because anything works for the untrained and out of shape.

To answer the original question it could help bit is no magic pill. It probably comes into play for people way out of the normal gym goers league. There is no supplement or device that replaces good programming, proper application of the basics,, and proper nutrition.

If you have not invested in those for quiet some time start there and hang out in that zone for a few solid years to get perspective and when you apply a tool like this you will have a realistic way to measure its effectiveness.

Otherwise you are never going to really know what works or why and will most likely spend more money and time to get lesser results.
                            100% agree..

I just wanted to hear feedback on the mask.

Comment

Training mask

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
                              100% agree..

I just wanted to hear feedback on the mask.
                              People will tell you what they couldn't do and say you can't do it either. The only proof I have is the mask. I weigh 230 and my 1.5mile run used to be 16min. that week of running turned my 16min into 8.45min.sec. Everyday I timed myself and I got better and better.

-Stay Motivated
                              -Stay Strong
                              -Never let people tell you what you can't do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8062 users online. 350 members and 7712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X